over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

When is the Best Time to Stretch???

bluto

Registered
I have always stretched before lifting after 5-10min on treadmill or bike to warmup.

My physio tells me not to stretch at all before lifting, but to do it all afterwards. I started doing this recently and it feels strange not to stetch beforehand, especially when doing heavy Squats or Benchs.

What do you guys do, and what do you thiink is the best way to prevent injury before heavy work sets.???

definately no static stretching before working out. It relaaxes the muscles which opens you up for injury, not to mention a lower amount of strength although a little. Only dynamic stretch before working out and DC extreme stretching after work sets. And there is no way in hell DC stretching relaxes the muscle.

After

I love BuSelmo's way of explaining it...I asked him once and he said think of your muscle as a toffee candy...if you stretch it cold you will rip the thing but if you stretch it after you keep it in your mouth, make it worm, it will stretch.

Basically you might harm your muscle stretching it cold...so do it always after your workout

Dynamic Stretching

So what is the best way to warmup then, dynamic stetching for Squats would be similar to the drills used for sprinting/running?

If I feel tight then just do more warmup sets?

I always feel like Im half exhausted by the time I get to my first work set on squats: 1 plate x 20, 2 plates x 15, 3 plates x 10, 4 plates x 8, 5 plates x 6 and then ........finally I get to my first work set of 6 plates

I know a lot of people recommend not going over 5-8 reps for warm up sets and getting down to 1-3 reps as the weight goes up. "Warm up, not wear out" I think is what one guy I know told me.

Never before or during. My shot put ( ? ) trainer told me to not stretch because it will make you weaker, no more tension in the muscle....

There have been studies performed on athletes that have shown stretching prior to lifting is detremental to your lifts by as much as 7%. Stretching at the end of your session would be better in the long run.

IMO, the best time to stretch is right after you get out of the shower. Body is already in a relaxed state which enables you to get a far greater stretch than you would've otherwise!

I have always stretched before lifting after 5-10min on treadmill or bike to warmup.

My physio tells me not to stretch at all before lifting, but to do it all afterwards. I started doing this recently and it feels strange not to stetch beforehand, especially when doing heavy Squats or Benchs.

What do you guys do, and what do you thiink is the best way to prevent injury before heavy work sets.???

Stetch after you work out, muscles are contracted and need to be elongated(that is why you feel good after a massage when tense.) Best way to avoid injury while training heavy? Proper warm up.

after, sometimes. i try to choose a few movements that have a good extended ROM. these offer a healthier stretch than all that static stretching stuff.

i've found with myself, and people i've trained, that alot of static stretching early in a workout makes you sorta sleepy and sluggish.

i want to be awake and aggressive when i lift... not in some new age meditation state.

Thanks All

Thank you for all the information.

So are their any dynamic stretchs that would actually help to lift/perform better. The Basic compound movements for example. I mean every sport has drills and routines they use before games and events to get warm up. Would the same apply to lifting, or do you just do lots of light sets?? I mean before squatting would light lunges be better for example.

I always get small injuries that hold me back.

Thank you for all the information.

So are their any dynamic stretchs that would actually help to lift/perform better. The Basic compound movements for example. I mean every sport has drills and routines they use before games and events to get warm up. Would the same apply to lifting, or do you just do lots of light sets?? I mean before squatting would light lunges be better for example.

I always get small injuries that hold me back.

I do both, dynamic stretches, like holding the squat rack and bouncing slighty try to stretch my hip flexors, or the old school cherry pickers, stuff like that, arm circles. then move into light warm ups. I think yu have the idea. It is always possible you might get hurt, but if not as bad if warming up properly. I just strained a groin [abductor] doing split squats last tuesday, well yesterday everything is decent and I did leg press just fine, got a little tight, but nothing too bad.

i think what you are looking for is dynamic stretching (like previously stated). dynamic flexibility is different from the typical stretching in that it is through a movement. a dynamic warmup you could do for squats could go something like this:

20 yards/meters of:
buttkickers
lunge/tounch your elbow to the floor
lateral lunge to the left
lateral lunge to the right
squat and push your knees out, take 2 steps repeat
lateral shuffle with arm swing

a dynamic warmup like this will do 2 really good things for you...increase your flexibility, and increase enzyme activity (increased enzyme activity will increase your performance...ie. better workout)

after sitting in a very hot bath for about 15 minutes helps me. especially for my lower back pain.
I plan to get a massage chair too for after the baths.
never ever before a workout and only during if if feels better if I do. (like calf stretches after a heavy set.)

how would waiting until the end of the workout to stretch relate to dante's extreme stretching?

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Nitzuj0141
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131