advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

When pre-contest: Do u prefer Low Volume VS High Volume?

Ocean cool

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Hi guys, how many guys here increase their tranning volume when preparing for a competition?

I know guys who increase the reps and sets while sacrificing heavy weights (1.5 hours) while other guys maintain low volume, heavy weights (30-45 mins) and increase their cardio.

I know its an individual thing but that is your preference?

high volume high intensity, it can be done you just can't go to failure on every set...for example:
exercise for certrain bodypart no1:
warm up
set1 - light weight 12-15 reps
set4 - moderate weight 10-12 reps
set3 - heavy weight (but still not to failure) 8-10 reps
set4 - main set to failure with heavy weight were you fail at 6-10 reps
you can also add 5th set here esp precontest high reps 15-20 reps

4 exercises per body part = 16-20 sets total (only 4 to failure)
add another smaller muscle to a workout - that's another 3-4 exercises or 12-20 sets
total you have 30-40 sets, but only 6-8 are taxing your cns, other just burning calories. I prefer training this way a lot more than training low volume and doing lots of cardio, training is fun while cardio is boring

[lang=de]nothing wrong with that. But in reality all you do is a bunch of warm ups and 4-6 working sets. DC Training for example is 3 Working sets per muscle Group. 9 Working sets for upper boddy in Session A. Who is the low Volume guy now?

No high volume AND high intensity CANT be done. At the end of the day its just 3-6 hard working sets. More is for most People just not possible.

IF u like to do some lighter sets before and after the heavy sets, why not. I like it my self.

sorry for my bad english[/lang]

A very wise man once told me, stick with what brought ya to the show.... If you have a successful training protocol that has worked great in the offseason, stick with it. As you get closer closer to the show, you can tweak it to accommodate for recovery limitations but completely changing your program when you enter prep is like throwing out everything that has made you successful in your offseason to get ready for the show...

From my experience, this has worked fine and my experience is all I have to go off. BTW, that wise man is Homonunculus...

I have to agree . Stick with what got you to this point . But also listen to your body. If your feeling overtrained from all the dieting and cardio then back off a bit. If time allows even take a couple days off. I always set my prep up a couple weeks early for this reason. Nothing worse than being behind in your prep and killing yourself trying to play catch up.

I try to do what I have been doing in the off season and maybe making a few changes on how I feel.

I try to keep the weights just as heavy, training's basically the same. It's the one thing that doesn't change much. Do what got ya there, IMO.

Diet, Cardio and AAS use are what changes for me.

the best thing to do is stay doin wut u were doin in the off season. that means heavy, intense and reps ranging from 8-20 imo. Weh people change stuff up to much thats when screw ups happen. Dont over complicate ur training brothas. Stay heavy and intense all the way through. That bro science crap about using light weeight sand high reps pre contestis when you come in lookin flat and soft no mater how on point ur nutrition timing and water etc was. I mean look at evenn the top pros in ametur and pro. They still are goin hardcore all the way up till thge last cople wks

When getting ready for a contest I'm actually more motivated with my training so volume goes up.

I noticed a huge number of bb increases their volume for the pumps while allowing them to maintain their high carbs diet because high volume depletes glycogen much more than low volume does.

The benefit is that high volume depletes muscle glycogen thus aids in fat loss and am able to maintain higher carb diet while dieting.

Doesn't lower weights and more volume prevents injury when you're dieting?

What are you trying to do training heavy in pre-contest? Gain muscle?

I noticed a huge number of bb increases their volume for the pumps while allowing them to maintain their high carbs diet because high volume depletes glycogen much more than low volume does.

The benefit is that high volume depletes muscle glycogen thus aids in fat loss and am able to maintain higher carb diet while dieting.

I've seen this too...but some individuals simply train harder in a lower volume high intensity program. What is done in that case is balancing diet with training... you can't look at one factor in isolation as diet and training must go hand in hand for one to get in the condition they desire.

Also, consider that some people do better on high carbs, other do better on lower carbs... so whether one trains with higher volume or lower volume, the effectiveness depends on how well they use their diet in conjunction with their training.

This is just one reason why I find this sport fascinating... there is no one path and one must constantly manipulate the variables to find the best strategy.

I agree with high volume and high intensity. Basically a balance between both. I do some heavy sets and some pump sets per exercise, with intensity and workout pace high.

To add workload when I plateau, I'll add sets and/or weight but am careful not to over-train. I don't compete anymore, but this is how I train when shredding up, which I do in a pre-contest like way.

I agree with high volume and high intensity. Basically a balance between both. I do some heavy sets and some pump sets per exercise, with intensity and workout pace high.

To add workload when I plateau, I'll add sets and/or weight but am careful not to over-train. I don't compete anymore, but this is how I train when shredding up, which I do in a pre-contest like way.

But by doing high volume (obviously u are going to sacrifice) heavy weights. Won't take lose muscles?

But by doing high volume (obviously u are going to sacrifice) heavy weights. Won't take lose muscles?

You can train high volume and heavy as well... more sets with lower rep ranges...

And heavy is relative. If you go to failure on a set of 10, then that weight is heavy for 10 reps, same holds true if you do 6 reps or 12 reps... Volume is dependent on both sets and reps, not just reps alone.

Also you will only lose muscle if nutrition is inadequate. Eat to recover around training and focus on fat loss in all other meals.

You can train high volume and heavy as well... more sets with lower rep ranges...

And heavy is relative. If you go to failure on a set of 10, then that weight is heavy for 10 reps, same holds true if you do 6 reps or 12 reps... Volume is dependent on both sets and reps, not just reps alone.

Also you will only lose muscle if nutrition is inadequate. Eat to recover around training and focus on fat loss in all other meals.

Thanks. What u say makes sense.

Apart from muscle loss due to high volume and lower poundage (weights) allot of bb does high volume to further deplete glycogen for fat lost. This allows them to eat medium to high carbs diet while dieting.

I never sacrifice heavy weights, it got me to this size and if I left the gym knowing that I could've went heavier on a set ; the guilt will haunt me .. It works, works great , I still look as big as I was 10 pounds heavier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I increase body part frequency but decrease volume.
The goal is to stimulate protein synthesis enough that it helps protect muscle breakdown. Muscle is not growing at this stage at least in my case.
I like 3-6 heavy sets per body part twice per week.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
rh8767
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws