advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Which of these set/rep schemes is better for growth?

JAP426

Registered
10 sets of 10 reps with 55% maximum weights OR
6 sets of 6 reps with 75% maximum weights?

For a 350 pound max bench press it would either be 10 x 10 x 195 pounds OR 6 x 6 x 265 pounds.

Which one is better for muscle breakdown and growth?

If those are the only two options, then 6 x 6 is far better.

I agree

If those are the only two options, then 6 x 6 is far better.

I agree with you, but had another guy tell me that the 10 x 10 was better as the volume was higher and the time under tension for the muscle was longer.

WELL

IT IS NOT THAT EASY AND DONT EXPECT IT TO BE..........TOO MANY FACTORS WAY MORE IMPORTANT THAN HOW MANY REPS OR SETS. FOR STARTERS GET ON DANTES LBAs

If, overtime, you were able to progress in the amount of weight you could lift using that particular rep scheme, it does not matter. The end result is that you're getting stronger, and that is what matters.

For a 350 pound max bench press it would either be 10 x 10 x 195 pounds OR 6 x 6 x 265 pounds.

I would say they'd both could suck pretty badly at promoting muscle growth, given that those %1RM loads (for each option) are far below maximal rep max loading.

75% 1RM is about a 10RM (for squat, DL, and bench), so those sets would be pretty easy (I'm assuming 3-5 min rest. or so.).

HOWEVER, If you make the 10 x 10 a GVT program or limited rest in the 6 x 6 to create near maximal efforts on many of the sets, they could both be great growth promoting workouts.

I agree with both Shelby and Phil.

If you picked just one to use, say over the course of a year, with a compound exercise like a squat, DL or press, etc., as the primary mass builder, then the 6 x 6 would fall closer to the better range for optimal strength development (but you'd have to shorten rest interval to create maximal activation, given that the loading would be submaximal - stil not the best solution, but for some, it could work VERY well). (In general, though only doing 6 x 6 for an entire year, would be a silly way to plan a program - with no variation, periodization, etc. - but it, like a 5 x 5 could be a great foundation for strength and mass accrual.)

As Phil said, many variables: interset rest intervals, freq. of training, humanofort, diet in general, lifestyle factors affecting recovery, LBA's, training of other muscle groups, other training / overlap with the muscles trained in the hypothetical (6 x 6 or 10 x 10) way, etc...

-S

both made me sleepy and bored.;)

also many believe maximum muscle breakdown is not always necessary for steady growth...

OK, LETS SEE THE PICS......THE RESULTS........CAN YOU POST THEM?
Why not also ask the two other guys who agreed before me? :rolleyes:

BEFORE AND AFTERS AND PLEASE EXPLAIN WHY YOU AGREE.......

GVT is just fancy pump training as far as I'm concerned and I suspect that the primary source of the 'growth' is just glycogen storage and water. The loading is too low to recruit many high threshold fibers, except maybe at the end as fatigue accumulates.

So if everything else were constant (i.e. diet calibrated for growth, outside stress and outside rest is controlled, etc.) I would take 6x6 if those were my only two options. This is not saying that people havent grown on both, but thats not the question of the OP.

In my opinion, and from a practical standpoint, it seems easier to avoid overuse with 6x6 as well as allow for more progressive overload while not being bored out of your mind.

well what have you tried so far? and how did it work? if you are looking for growth, start with your diet first. make sure it is in check for what you are trying to do. cookie cutter routines just dont work for everyone. one person may like 6x6 and another 10x10, and another 25 sets of 10-12. but none of it will make a difference if your diet and supplements are not right to begin with.
ever see the dedicated guys at the gym day after day busting their ass and not changing at all? and then theres a guy who you watch train and it looks like he has no idea what he is doing and he changes almost weekly? its the diet. and by supplements i meant food supplements. not gear. there is a lota info on here and you should be able to put together the puzzle for what works for you.
god bless
lucian

Thanks for all of the replies. Though it sure gives alot to think about.

Phil, I am actually giving the Progenex a try first as I got a nice discount on it for my first order. Trueprotein's LBA's are next up though.

IT IS NOT THAT EASY AND DONT EXPECT IT TO BE..........TOO MANY FACTORS WAY MORE IMPORTANT THAN HOW MANY REPS OR SETS. FOR STARTERS GET ON DANTES LBAs

bro

google "cycles for pennies"
it is a sorta lessons on growth put together by dante "dogcrapp" trudel(sorry if i mispelled your name big d)
it has a lot of info that time and time again has proven to work. its not a routine but practical based info.

god bless
lucian

Hey lucian you got his real name right, but it's doggcrapp. Double g double p (just to help with searching if people choose to do it)

Last edited:
ever see the dedicated guys at the gym day after day busting their ass and not changing at all?

90% of about any gym's crowd... :cool:

Funny thing is they spend much more hours training than you and me combined, but when you talk nutrition with them they usually have something lame to say, like "oh I'm not taking bodybuilding as seriously as you do, I just wanna be able to eat and drink whatever I feel like".

Sure bro 3 hours a day everyday and constantly complaining about the crappy way you look,but you're not taking it that seriously... :rolleyes: :(

Funny thing is they spend much more hours training than you and me combined, but when you talk nutrition with them they usually have something lame to say, like "oh I'm not taking bodybuilding as seriously as you do, I just wanna be able to eat and drink whatever I feel like".

Sure bro 3 hours a day everyday and constantly complaining about the crappy way you look,but you're not taking it that seriously... :rolleyes: :(

These guys give some very amusing responses to nutrition. What I find interesting is the excuses they give even when theyre ones who come to you for advice. Oh well.

If you don't factor in intensity, proper diet and supplements, and rest, no routine will work as effective. I like to stick with the basics for growth and go heavy, 1 bodypart per week. Deadlifts, bench press, military presses, squats, barbell rows, etc.

there is a guy at my gym who busts his ass!!! he is strong, walks around w a cooler, does his cardio...but looks like hell. i have never seen whats in the cooler but im sure it isnt the right things.lol seems like the only thing the know about supplement wise is creatine.then there is this guy kyle who trains modertatly hard, shoots a lil hoops and looks freakin great. big, full, lean. its evident his diet is in check and from talking w him, he knows his body and his nutritition.
people at the gym keep asking me how i dropped 50lb in the last 8 weeks and got stronger. no secret.....DIET. im doing the same training, added cardio and never cheat on my diet.
the messed up part is some of these people are trainers. how can you trainsomeone to get leaner if you have no idea how to do it?
god bless
lucian

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrcivic
NapsGear