advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

whole blood or double red cell donation?

deadliftsquates

Registered
Any opinions based on science? I know there is a huge needs for double red for patients and I know both help the donor so its a win win but for the donor which is better for the donor?

Double red is of course more effective than regular donation and you only have to do it every 4 months

Any opinions based on science? I know there is a huge needs for double red for patients and I know both help the donor so its a win win but for the donor which is better for the donor?

I prefer whole blood. Lowers hemoglobin about 1 point for me. Relatively quick. Don't feel like lying on a bed for an hour.

Whole blood for sure, they put the platelets back when you do double red, you definitely want the platelets gone if you have high RBC.

They won't even allow double red if you are type A+. I'm guessing probably B+ as well.

Whole blood for sure, they put the platelets back when you do double red, you definitely want the platelets gone if you have high RBC.

Could you explain why the platelet return is bad? I'm not questioning it, I simply don't understand it.

When I donate whole blood it lowers my hemoglobin by 1

When I donate double red cells it lowers my hemoglobin by 2

I assumed net-net result was the same.

Thanks.

Could you explain why the platelet return is bad? I'm not questioning it, I simply don't understand it.

When I donate whole blood it lowers my hemoglobin by 1

When I donate double red cells it lowers my hemoglobin by 2

I assumed net-net result was the same.

Thanks.

Why are you donating blood? Because your RBC is high, you have too many red blood cells and it makes your blood thick harder to pump, plus more likely to clot. Platelets are what make your blood "sticky" and can compound the issue.

Recommendations for donating blood on a regular basis (once or twice a year) go back way before bodybuilding to doctors who thought that men needed to donate blood as a preventive health mechanism. These doctors were always very specific about it being whole blood, not double red.

I'm honestly going to say don't donate unless you need to. Blood work first, donate if necessary.

I'm honestly going to say don't donate unless you need to. Blood work first, donate if necessary.

I agree. I think just about all regular steroid users are going to build up a higher than healthy hemoglobin level, but yeah you need to get tested before. The blood banks always test your hematocrit or hemoglobin before they take your blood and wont do it if it is too low to begin with. They wont jeopardize your health, too much liability for one. All users could easily donate at least once a year. I think in the worst case scenario where we have a steroid user that never goes to the doctor and never gets bloods, if they go to the blood bank 2x a year and give blood they at least get their hemoglobin//hematocrit checked then. If it is really high then they can go back in 3 months, think that is the earliest they will take you back at the same place. You could also use more than one place to give. Having a CBC is better though because you will have all of your levels checked. Giving too much blood could lower your platelet count too much perhaps. Mine used to get a bit low but the hematologist wasn't worried. Not sure why. The guy is smart though and knows what he is doing.

well i do it for two reason. It is good for you and people are in need of it. SO I am still unsure after all the responses. Thanks for them. I think I will just do whole blood though.

Why are you donating blood? Because your RBC is high, you have too many red blood cells and it makes your blood thick harder to pump, plus more likely to clot. Platelets are what make your blood "sticky" and can compound the issue.

Recommendations for donating blood on a regular basis (once or twice a year) go back way before bodybuilding to doctors who thought that men needed to donate blood as a preventive health mechanism. These doctors were always very specific about it being whole blood, not double red.

I see. I figured removing twice as many RBC at once would be better, wasn't aware of the negative effect of the platelets.

Thanks.

Here is exactly what you need to do if your fighting high hemo and hematocrit. You go to a hemotologist and do it the right way. Giving blood every 8 weeks isn't going to be enough...

1. CBC labs - check levels
2. Hemo takes blood out say 500ml
3. CBC labs - check levels
4. Hemo takes blood out say 500ml
5.CBC labs -check levels
So on and so on until you get the numbers right... its probably going to take atleast three or four times of getting your bood out of you until the numbers come down....

If your going to spend money cycling PEDS, you might as well take the time to make sure your healthy. If you constantly cruise for years, your hemo and hema will get out of control and you will eventually at some point stroke or have a heart attack...its really this simple..and anybody who knows the truth knows thats is about constantly cruising and blasting when need be... 8,12,16 week cycles is not where you build size thats a complete joke..its years of cruising and increasing food.....

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Here is exactly what you need to do if your fighting high hemo and hematocrit. You go to a hemotologist and do it the right way. Giving blood every 8 weeks isn't going to be enough...

1. CBC labs - check levels
2. Hemo takes blood out say 500ml
3. CBC labs - check levels
4. Hemo takes blood out say 500ml
5.CBC labs -check levels
So on and so on until you get the numbers right... its probably going to take atleast three or four times of getting your bood out of you until the numbers come down....

If your going to spend money cycling PEDS, you might as well take the time to make sure your healthy. If you constantly cruise for years, your hemo and hema will get out of control and you will eventually at some point stroke or have a heart attack...its really this simple..and anybody who knows the truth knows thats is about constantly cruising and blasting when need be... 8,12,16 week cycles is not where you build size thats a complete joke..its years of cruising and increasing food.....

I completely disagree with most of this. I think most people don't actually need to donate. I think there is a rebound after donating that raises RBC and that donating too much can compound problems. I think anything below a 53-55 hematocrit is probably fine, assuming there are no other blood problems.

I completely disagree with most of this. I think most people don't actually need to donate. I think there is a rebound after donating that raises RBC and that donating too much can compound problems. I think anything below a 53-55 hematocrit is probably fine, assuming there are no other blood problems.
Agree 100%.

I think you replied to the wrong post. I didnt say anything about "donating blood"...i said go to hemotologist, and do it the right way if your in the 53 plus range HCT and 18 plus hemaglobin. A hemo dr. Takes whole blood... Donating blood is bro science that people think works. When the right way to do it is go to a hemo. Dr. And bring your hemotocrit and RBC down in a controlled monitoring environment like i listed above...

Last edited:
Some facts from research

"Some studies of humans donating a standard 400-ml unit (about 8 percent of total blood volume) have focused on length and magnitude of depletion of critical factors. One study of iron deficiency concluded that, after a single 400-ml (8 percent) loss, normal dietary intake of iron may not return iron values to normal until after 4 months in men and 8–12 months in women ( Finch, 1972 ). Another study reported that hemoglobin concentration is lowest one to two weeks after donation and reaches predonation levels three to four weeks after donation ( Wadsworth, 1955 ). "

From here:
https://academic.oup.com/ilarjournal/article/31/4/5/655393

I must say that in my case my iron at least recovers to pre phlebotomy levels within 3 months because my iron now doesn't vary too much. Back when I was doing it once a month it was going down.

Last edited:
Having a phlebotomy can raise your platelet count over time I am pretty sure. Looked around on the net but couldn't find any good articles.

55 is waaay too high, that’s the max cut off.

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonyfits
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws