mega-banner2
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Why are food proteins better than supplements?

I eat, i am not to friendly with protein powders and my amino acids are injectables

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

Main reason I try to do real food is we cant be certain the label of a protein powder is accurate. No regulation in the industry so unless u personally rest each batch u buy, u cant be sure how much ur getting for certain. 8oz chicken will always have the same amount of protein. A scoop of powder may be different every time. Really dont know for an absolute certainty.

like this? remember the reddit study results? are these companies not regulated by the fda? if dante is right, then how are these companies getting away with misrepresenting the amounts in their product vis a vis the labeling?
still, i thought protein powder is considered a supplement. u use it to supplement your daily intake, like vitamins or whatnot.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...nR0WVZybGtFWnRKNzdKNm9XOVE&toomany=true#gid=0

like this? remember the reddit study results? are these companies not regulated by the fda? if dante is right, then how are these companies getting away with misrepresenting the amounts in their product vis a vis the labeling?
still, i thought protein powder is considered a supplement. u use it to supplement your daily intake, like vitamins or whatnot.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...nR0WVZybGtFWnRKNzdKNm9XOVE&toomany=true#gid=0

Please read

What does your True nutrition protein mix consist of? - Page 4

I have a huge huge problem with any testing that says Optimum Nutrition is off. NO way in hell. They set the market. That is one of the largest dairies in the world! They arent skimping. So I have a major problem with any testing that says their product is off....because its just not being done. They dont have to. They set market price by their sheer size. American Whey, Body Fortress, heck yea everyone knew that....Gaspari? I heard got majorly screwed over by their manufacturer....but I had a major problem with the testing procedures of that study you posted after I went back and looked at it for a second time later on. Are they wet testing or dry testing? Are they going by 5 different buckets or one bucket? How is it being done?

Last edited:
since pretty much every single one of the "good" results was about 10% off (always 10% less protein in the powder than claimed) i'd assume there are some issues with their testing and the good powders are all pretty much on point...

Food has always provided a superior result hands down for me personally.
I go against the grain where protein is concerned in general, I've had great lean mass gains on less than a gram per lb per day.
Higher protein is how I cut up, not put on size..and sometimes protein powders are helpful when time is limited but I just don't believe protein powder of any kind is equal or better than food.
Same with bcaas, and aminos in general. I got tired of paying for capsulised protein powder which is essentially what caps and tablets of aminos are atleast in my opinion.

Only way for you to see the difference is to do an honest run with protein supplements with a consistent routine and diet for 6-8 weeks. Then drop the supplements and replace it with food protein.

I have run cycles where i did crazy high calorie shakes before bed, and i have done stints where i ate small meals (which were far less caloric than the shakes on paper), but i grew better off the meals than i ever did on shakes. Shakes for me telly have to be an addition to my diet when i just can't eat anymore.

Imo shakes are great additions to ones diet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please read

What does your True nutrition protein mix consist of? - Page 4

I have a huge huge problem with any testing that says Optimum Nutrition is off. NO way in hell. They set the market. That is one of the largest dairies in the world! They arent skimping. So I have a major problem with any testing that says their product is off....because its just not being done. They dont have to. They set market price by their sheer size. American Whey, Body Fortress, heck yea everyone knew that....Gaspari? I heard got majorly screwed over by their manufacturer....but I had a major problem with the testing procedures of that study you posted after I went back and looked at it for a second time later on. Are they wet testing or dry testing? Are they going by 5 different buckets or one bucket? How is it being done?

This a bit off topic question, that you may be able to answer. I seem to have extreme amounts of phlegm (and I will often throw it back up) from ANY protein powders except your pepto pro. The only downside is the flavored pepto pro has a very bitter taste. It goes great with bcaa/carb supplement mixed in though.

This a bit off topic question, that you may be able to answer. I seem to have extreme amounts of phlegm (and I will often throw it back up) from ANY protein powders except your pepto pro. The only downside is the flavored pepto pro has a very bitter taste. It goes great with bcaa/carb supplement mixed in though.

same results between different protein powders as well ex- whey, beef, egg protein? they all give you that effect or just whey?

same results between different protein powders as well ex- whey, beef, egg protein? they all give you that effect or just whey?

Just whey protein, but I haven't tried any beef protein powders before. I am lactose intolerant and often they aren't lactose free. The flavored egg whites (muscle egg?) sometimes gives me phlegm but no puking.

I've already read several things but what are your guys thoughts.

Guys are replacing with amino acids.
Guys are drinking chicken slim
Guys are swallowing liver pills.
Guys are going through 10 poufs of whey a week.

I didn't read the whole thread, but here is the answer in case it hasn't been posted: The body doesn't build proteins just from scratch amino acids, it uses (think "recycles") digested amino acid blocks that aren't fully broken down. More whole food sources of protein tend to have more of these amino acid blocks, things like undenatured whey have lots of these, so it's not just whole foods that have them...

Oh there is also the digestion rate, whole foods tend to digest slower, meaning protein is digesting for longer, and thus more likely to keep you in a positive nitrogen balance longer.

Last edited:

Ive seen rare cases of whey intolerance...they are rare but they do happen.

Ive seen rare cases of whey intolerance...they are rare but they do happen.

I'm pretty sure I am whey intolerant. I've tried all kinds of whey protein and all of them cause me gas and in the end diarrhea. Even with lactase tablets it happens.

Anything milk protein based/derived will mess with my stomach, including many EAAs and BCAAs and I read/understand they're derived from milk proteins, is that right?

Same with casein protein too.

The only shakes I've managed to tolerate are pea protein and beef, but anything over 1 per day and it causes me issues.

Solid food is the way forward (for me anyway) and am looking and feeling my best with as much solid food and minimum, or zero, shakes.

Some people get it in their head that powdered protein supplements are superior to solid food sources. That's simply not the case. They are there to "supplement" your solid food intake.

Exactly this.... when "supplements" are the core of your nutrition, that's a problem IMO.....I think people get enamoured with the numbers..... I mean cmon' a 50g shake is NOT the same as 50g lean beef.

I have always heard the debates, and at the end of the day, one has to find what is best for their own body.

Personally, beyond getting hungry a little faster on whey/shakes, I can't tell a difference.

I have tried about every combination possible and experimented on myself and
to be completely honest, I didn't notice a big difference and I ended up going through several phases in the 21 months between my last 2 competitions.

-All animal protein.
-All Humapro.
-All shakes for protein.
-1/2 Animal sources, 1/2 shakes.
-1/3 of each Humapro/Animal sources/whey.

I did each of these phases for a minimum of 3 weeks leading up to my prep and I noticed NO difference in performance, look, recovery...anything in my offseason.

For my prep, I used 2-3 whey-as-protein meals per day and kept that right up until the Thursday prior to the show.

I am now of the opinion that it really doesn't matter where the protein comes from (meaning meat/whey/EAA matrix), as long as it's a quality source.

Why real pussy is better than pocket pussy?

I have always heard the debates, and at the end of the day, one has to find what is best for their own body.

Personally, beyond getting hungry a little faster on whey/shakes, I can't tell a difference.

I have tried about every combination possible and experimented on myself and
to be completely honest, I didn't notice a big difference and I ended up going through several phases in the 21 months between my last 2 competitions.

-All animal protein.
-All Humapro.
-All shakes for protein.
-1/2 Animal sources, 1/2 shakes.
-1/3 of each Humapro/Animal sources/whey.

I did each of these phases for a minimum of 3 weeks leading up to my prep and I noticed NO difference in performance, look, recovery...anything in my offseason.

For my prep, I used 2-3 whey-as-protein meals per day and kept that right up until the Thursday prior to the show.

I am now of the opinion that it really doesn't matter where the protein comes from (meaning meat/whey/EAA matrix), as long as it's a quality source.

Exactly. It's comical how many people think having shakes as a protein source limits gains.

I'm gonna be eating two pounds of chicken per day (well drinking) and 70 grams a day of EAAs a day from true nutrition. We will see how this works out.

I'm gonna try an odd experiment with this.
Everything is gonna be liquid, including carbs and fats.

I never feel full on whey protein, I feel. more satisfied with chicken, or fish.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
NWO
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity