over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Why do people waste money on a coach?

bigdog123

Banned
I work in financial services and always see financial advisors trying their best to convince clients they 'need them' and charge them often a bell of a lot of money for it, and so little in return

Makes me think about fitness and BB, I think coaches in general, not always play a similar game. A lot of them know no more than a decent, intelligent BB does, so why pay so much?

Because you don't want to think about it
Because you want to
Because you can
All valid

A lot of times, coaches are basically expensive accountability partners. And for a lot of guys, I imagine just paying someone else to do all your thinking for you can reduce stress levels quite a bit.

Ordinarily, you might justify that big cheat day lol But a coach, other hand, might say Meh... Not such a great idea.

As mentioned, mostly to remove ALL guesswork (should i have a cheat meal, increase cardio/carbs, etc.) and the accountability aspect. I'd imagine some coaches are of huge help when you're very close to showtime and those types of preparations such as carb-loading, water manipulation, and last-minute drug protocols. I've had only all six abs twice in my life and one of those was with a coach who got me into the best shape of my life. I don't know that i would have been able to stay the course by myself for the last month as i was losing my mind so i believe he was invaluable.

This question means you've never had one and/or never competed and/or never been below 7% bf.
Not trying to be a dick but those a things where coaches are needed.

Most bbers will start to spin their wheels at some point. Second guessing their nutritional decisions is a massive one. Should i keep dieting? Do i need a refeed? Am I flat? You're paying someone for their experience and their eyes.
As someone who LOVES Dr. Scott's book BYOBC....(probably the best BB book you can get)....hiring a coach is the best decision I've made for my physique.

Why doesnt my wife love me?

Why have a girlfriend or wife when you've got two hands?

Well, the pleasure of someone else's stimuli is better than my own stimuli.

It seems like coaches only became a really big thing about 15 years ago. I mean sure guys would get advice from people from time to time but many of the top level athletes did not use coaches until Relatively recently in the bodybuilding world. Key word here being "relatively" I used a coach who is a pro BB'er for my last prep and I got in the best shape of my life, but now that I experienced that I can and have replicated those results because I paid attention the first time. For me it was less about diet and more about drug protocols during the run up to the show. I build and lean out relatively easily so the drugs is really the only area I needed any assistance in.

Hiring a coach is an investment , like taking a class on a subject.
Yea you can find most of the information you need if you search for it but hiring a coach is like having a private tutor.

Hiring a GOOD coach is a great way to get into the best shape possible without second guessing what you think you should be doing.
A GOOD coach more than likely has a much better understanding of exactly how to read what's happening with your body and how it's responding to the diet , training , drugs ect and how to adjust it.

Do you honestly think that you can get yourself in as good of contest shape as John Meadows , or any of the other GOOD coaches???

Very strong emphasis on GOOD because there are some absofuckingluty retarded people out there pretending to be coaches

Over the years I've noticed that the guys who ask these questions or hate on the people who have coaches, have nothing more than a "gym bro" physique. Of course there is an exception here or there but if you aren't willing to invest in yourself then you likely won't get very far.

How many guys go pro without a coach? For most, time is just as valuable if not more valuable than money so hiring someone to take the guess work out makes a whole lot of sense.

I'm still a long ways from where I want to be but hiring Justin Harris was the best investment I've made in terms of body building thus far.

It makes sense when reading the comments of the guys above, but I do wonder why guys like Phil Heath would continue having a coach once they've already gotten in shape and won at the top level several times. Bonac prepped himself and looked great. At some point I'd think a guy would be able to do it himself.

It makes sense when reading the comments of the guys above, but I do wonder why guys like Phil Heath would continue having a coach once they've already gotten in shape and won at the top level several times. Bonac prepped himself and looked great. At some point I'd think a guy would be able to do it himself.

I'm sure that some guys at the upper level could prep themselves but many of them don't want to learn the system , it's just easier to wright a check and follow orders.
I think having someone that is not having their judgment clouded makes a huge difference as well , alot of people second guess their condition and the start to do dumb shit to the diet or drugs.
Some of the upper level guys are simply just to dumb to anything more than follow directions.

I work in financial services and always see financial advisors trying their best to convince clients they 'need them' and charge them often a bell of a lot of money for it, and so little in return

Makes me think about fitness and BB, I think coaches in general, not always play a similar game. A lot of them know no more than a decent, intelligent BB does, so why pay so much?
I believe that coaches are great for novices or people who are just starting their first program. But for us, especially if you are not competing, you came come up with your own ideas, programs and diet plans.

Over the years I've noticed that the guys who ask these questions or hate on the people who have coaches, have nothing more than a "gym bro" physique. Of course there is an exception here or there but if you aren't willing to invest in yourself then you likely won't get very far.

How many guys go pro without a coach? For most, time is just as valuable if not more valuable than money so hiring someone to take the guess work out makes a whole lot of sense.

I'm still a long ways from where I want to be but hiring Justin Harris was the best investment I've made in terms of body building thus far.
I turned pro when I did my own diet, every year i did north americans I did my own diet, and I placed top 5 every time and turned pro my last time out (masters class) top 5 open.
I have used coaches and I have done my own diet. Coaches are like taking a college class, you learn what you can then apply the knowledge yourself next time.

P.s. most coaches that get into incredible conditioning used coaches to achieve it, rarely did they do their own diet.

Asking this rhetorical question just proves you've never competed at a high level or at all in BB or any sports.

There are an abundance of reasons coaches are critical. Not all are created equal obviously.

Are coaches as "critical" as some say? I mean in the past most champs didn't have coaches and some still prefer those physiques. I mean - Dorian to name one :D
I think coaches can be really valuable due to several aspects though, but it takes a certain type of person to "submit" to coaching and not second guess every decision a coach makes. Many coaches would probably be pretty uncoachable themselves. Some are students and some are the teacher type. If you feel your coach is below your knowledge and even experience level it might be hard to accept that coaches advice. I know I would be hard to coach, if I competed I would like to be involved in the decision making process :D

I think today many feel like they need a coach because that's what everyone does. Then you have the aspect of politics, which may not be totally unfounded - if you are with certain coaches you might feel it helps to get you noticed and perhaps receive gifts in a subjective sport.
I mean Bonac thought Neil Hill was totally useless, he didn't understand why Neil wanted to know such "irrelevant" things like his bodyweight:D But still he was with him for many years.

I find insecurity plays a part for some. Don't have the confidence in themselves and there own knowledge of how their body works. As well as they may be missing out and that secret that the coach has that they don't.

If you are a serious lifter, it is unlikely you would need a trainer. All the info is out there. And you can literally see how the pros train on youtube, instagram etc. BUT, I do see a huge benefit when it comes to contest prep for diet and drugs. I just got my PT certificate and I guarantee I can get someone jacked and lean. But if they were trying to prep for a show...well that would be out of my wheelhouse.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
whodis?
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131