over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

High volume vs low volume

Creation

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Lately ive been working out with a bodybuilder and the way we train is pretty high volume not a whole lot of heavy lifting, very low rests but he makes me push past that pain threshold and he makes me really focus on using the muscle we are targeting.

for example legs we did Walking lunges 3 sets 12 reps, Leg press 3 sets of 20 reps, one leg ham curls 3 sets 15 reps, lying leg curls 3 sets of quarter reps at the top with constant tension on hammys.

We did this with very small rest and it hurt soooo good..

How does everyone feel about this type of workout compared to like a DC or Hiit style workout

I dont think there is anything wrong with it...Probably will give you a shock and make your muscle grow a bit...Presonally I like a lot of volume for legs as there a big muscle group...But overall, give it a shot for a month to 6 weeks and see what happens...

My opinion is that kind of training is great to run for a detraining period. The detraining period would happen after you have been pushing it hard and heavy for a lenght of time long enough to where you start to feel as if youre overtrained. I believe in low volume and heavy training for growth, but you cannot train like that continuosly. Give your body a break with the lighter weights. The low weight and higher volume helps to get the blood supply really flowing and aids in recovery in my opinion. I would do this high volume training for about 2-3 weeks or however long it takes for you to feel recovered. Another thing that high volume training like this really does for you is give your nervous system a rest. Once you fry that with heavy lifting youre not going to make any progress.

As Chris250 said, if you are growing from it right now, why change it...if it is working do not fix it, until the time comes to change it up. Your body will let you know when that time comes because you will stop responding to the training and now it is time introduce new stimilus to the muscles. I trained with very high volume in the beginning, years ago...responding well, but hit the wall quick too. I have reacted so much better to less sets, progressive load, less time in the gym, and more time repairing & rebuilding.

Both have thier place, but I prefer the low/moderate volume these days. I think as Big Bapper has said many of times spend one hour in the gym and the other 23 hours growing, eating, and rebuilding!

Lately ive been working out with a bodybuilder and the way we train is pretty high volume not a whole lot of heavy lifting, very low rests but he makes me push past that pain threshold and he makes me really focus on using the muscle we are targeting.

for example legs we did Walking lunges 3 sets 12 reps, Leg press 3 sets of 20 reps, one leg ham curls 3 sets 15 reps, lying leg curls 3 sets of quarter reps at the top with constant tension on hammys.

How does everyone feel about this type of workout compared to like a DC or Hiit style workout

I beleive that there are no set theories on how to train. I often think that phase training,,mixing it up,,set and routines are often the best for continued improvement. Both low volume and high volume training having there places.

I like mixing things up.

You can only pound yourself to death with heavy weights for so long. Plus, it's fun and mentally refreshing to change things once in a while. There is more than one way to get things done. I am no expert, but I have seen some big people who don't train with what I consider "heavy" weights.

I have no axe to grind and don't want to piss anyone off. :D

My opinion is that kind of training is great to run for a detraining period. The detraining period would happen after you have been pushing it hard and heavy for a lenght of time long enough to where you start to feel as if youre overtrained. I believe in low volume and heavy training for growth, but you cannot train like that continuosly. Give your body a break with the lighter weights. The low weight and higher volume helps to get the blood supply really flowing and aids in recovery in my opinion. I would do this high volume training for about 2-3 weeks or however long it takes for you to feel recovered. Another thing that high volume training like this really does for you is give your nervous system a rest. Once you fry that with heavy lifting youre not going to make any progress.
excellent Post!! I will add that another things volume training is good for is extreme fascia stretching if extreme stretching is done during the brief rest periods, and this is another subject i will touch on later as it pertains to growth for advanced individuals :)

Its about being consistent and periodization. ;)

excellent Post!! I will add that another things volume training is good for is extreme fascia stretching if extreme stretching is done during the brief rest periods, and this is another subject i will touch on later as it pertains to growth for advanced individuals :)

That should be interesting. You might have something there. I know a few people who's' arms would not grow no matter how much stronger they became on a excise, but for short periods of time used SEO, high intensity/high reps and stretching to get that fascia stretched and the muscle grew after that.

Ya the one thing i love about the high volume is the ridiculous pump, but u say its good for detraining but when i do this type of workout my muscles still hurt and it makes me want to cry haha...and i when i lift heavy the same thing happens...it all depends on the intensity?

Ya the one thing i love about the high volume is the ridiculous pump, but u say its good for detraining but when i do this type of workout my muscles still hurt and it makes me want to cry haha...and i when i lift heavy the same thing happens...it all depends on the intensity?
you are correct but i don't think volume training taxes the CNS like heavy slag iron does.

you are correct but i don't think volume training taxes the CNS like heavy slag iron does.

I agree. Personaly never got anything out of high volume training.
growth for me happens with heavy weight short intense sessions.
Heavy weight stimulates more muscle fibers.

do you guys think whether u respond more to high volume/low volume depends on ure muscle type make up IE more fast twitch dominant etc.

do you guys think whether u respond more to high volume/low volume depends on ure muscle type make up IE more fast twitch dominant etc.
I personally have yet to meet someone that doesn't respond to progressive heavy training... PERIOD!

i don't get into the whole muscle type makeup and various other stuff, it just overcomplicates a simple process. EAT, TRAIN, REST, GROW.

fair enough bboy, thanks for your input!

I'm more of a higher volume guy myself. I use light-moderate weights and focus on mind muscle connection as my #1 priority. I actually backed off all my heavy stuff and started very light and now only move up if I can get the same form with heavy weights. It's worked great, I'm growing again, and I actually feel more in my muscles now. Heavy as hell training has its place, but eventually your central nervous system gets beat down so bad its like running in place to progress. At least for me it is

I train that way and I much prefer it. I get much better results than low volume/reps.

I think bboy i right, havent seen the person that does not responds to progresive loading and hight intesity. however, the two biggest guys at my gym train high volume and never go to failure... pisses me off a lot ---> genetics.

For me...

I used to train really heavy and clean. Used to compete in powerlifting in the early 80's (yup I'm old, 47 yikes).
At 165 I was doing 525 X 2 deep squats with suit and wraps. 90's competed drug free bodybuilding and won numerous shows.
Currently I train reps of 10, 30 second rest, numerous sets, about 30 sets per bp, and keep weight do-able. When I start going heavy my elbows, knees and back kill me. I am very prone to tendonitis.
I have had 6 knee sugeries for patella tendonitis. have had elbow, and a disk injury to my neck.
I love going heavy but my body screams at me whether I am taking supplements or not.
Damn old age (LOL)

Attachments

• Copy of DSC_8343 (Small).jpg
    Copy of DSC_8343 (Small).jpg
    21 KB · Views: 1,409
The first 5yrs of training should with the big basics using 2-5 sets and just working on increasing strength. You could progress on this forever but the best for further progress is rotating Strength/Bodybuilding/Endurance phases. After increasing hypertrophy you need to stimulate hyperplaysia for continued growth. But again overload will increase hypertrophy no matter what method you choose. I think training in phases and building up over a certain amount of time and then backing off will yield the best results.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinFinch
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131