advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

I have yet to see 1 valid argument as to why food is more effective than whey protein

Fuck there are some idiots in this thread. You inject 2ml of AAS from the dealer in your local gym then you come on here saying powders are dangerous and useless. Use a good established brand and your gtg. Use for convenience and have good solid food and you have a perfect set up for building muscle etc. You may have 2 shakes and 5 meals or 4 shakes and 3 big meals or 1 shake and 5 meals... do whatever feels best... your body isn't gonna melt away either way you do it.

Good way to tell everyone to just stop giving a fuck. Pretty much saying, you're fucking up your body anyway, might as well just keep going. :p

You know, the funny part is, people, just this the OP, ask question like why is natural whole food better than man made powder, people answer him with the reasons (healthier, more nutritional, digests better, etc etc...) and just because it's not the answer they are looking for, they go on by answering how they don't really care about things like "chemicals" or this or that, and then continue argueing as if they didn't get an answer at all. Just because you don't care ingesting chemicals or non-natural things in your body, does not make whey as good or better than whole foods - you got your answer.

p.s anyone who is argueing against whole foods, really needs to lay off spending their time reading on "how much d-bol should i take?", and pick up a book or two on nutrition, not only will you learn alot, you might actually start making big gains.

you know after i was weeeened my body was set up to chew food with saliva and that action will set up stomach in a favroable amount, tasting the food so forth, really sets up head to toe for both the point of eatin which is energy source and being happy.

i dont wanna chug cold whey protein powder with xanathan gum and heavly sweetned with choco flavor and other things, guzzle down protein and swallow,, is that what someguys are into? guzzling down milky protein throughout the day ahahahhahahah

others have said it im sure, natural ways of getting vitamins and fibers and eating the food you grew up with and comforotable with

how many threads do we see with people saying im getting shitz from whey, beef and other powders. well stop that shit, then durrhh

i do drink extremely hydrolyzed whey in the morning for convenience and of course i alternate with LBA with whole foods but thats different than relying on it as the sole source.

Good way to tell everyone to just stop giving a fuck. Pretty much saying, you're fucking up your body anyway, might as well just keep going. :p

yeah seriously i agree bro

that guys is irrational

how about this, you will die anytime, might as well kill yourself now? lol

even if we are shooting bathtub gear, the point is to look great and feel great,,,you wont get that from drinking shit. you chew to grow. and your skin, hair, mood will be much better than having protein farts and squirts all day popping gear, thinking why its not working as well..

enzymes/minerals/vitmains all needed for your precious gear to work.

This thread was about PROTEIN yet people keep talking about vitamins and fiber, I don't know what chicken or beef you guys are eating but mine isn't rich in either of those.

i dont think that is what he was saying

Strange thread. Some posters focus on the headline (why is food better than whey protein) while others address the OP's question in context (essentially, is there anything wrong with supplementing the protein content of my reasonable diet with whey).

If you answer the headline, you say you need food for a wide range of nutrients ... a diet compromised largely of whey protein is likely to bad. No sh*t!

If you answer the actual question, you would probably say "Of course it's fine to supplement your diet with whey or lean beef aminos or whatever, so long as your diet is basically good". It's kind of ridiculous to talk about a single food or supplement outside of the totality of your diet. You can also ask: which is better, creatine or food?

Some people feel that whey is horribly toxic, etc., and has no place in anyone's diet. There may be better alternatives, but many bb'ers swear by whey ... and there is a huge body of scientific studies showing that whey is a useful and bioavailable protein source. Go to PubMed and search on whey.

Then there is "magical thinking" about "natural" things vs. "chemicals". Got news for ya': all things are chemicals. Protein concentrates and amino acids are compromised of chemicals that occur naturally in our diets, although usually with some fats and water.

Last edited:
This thread was about PROTEIN yet people keep talking about vitamins and fiber, I don't know what chicken or beef you guys are eating but mine isn't rich in either of those.

oh in that case

i like to chew food like a normal person and i like steak, chicken, pork, loins, chops tenderloin, buffalo, eggs, alligator, dogs, cats

instead of protein powder spray dried, over charged and chugged down

dont care about amino acid content, or bv,,,sounds like the guy is lokoin at one thing, and in that case hes far off, not an interesting question at all then.

You know, the funny part is, people, just this the OP, ask question like why is natural whole food better than man made powder, people answer him with the reasons (healthier, more nutritional, digests better, etc etc...) and just because it's not the answer they are looking for, they go on by answering how they don't really care about things like "chemicals" or this or that, and then continue argueing as if they didn't get an answer at all. Just because you don't care ingesting chemicals or non-natural things in your body, does not make whey as good or better than whole foods - you got your answer.

p.s anyone who is argueing against whole foods, really needs to lay off spending their time reading on "how much d-bol should i take?", and pick up a book or two on nutrition, not only will you learn alot, you might actually start making big gains.

funny how not a single thing you listed there said "yields better results", which is the entire point of this thread.

people want to go on about shit like health when 99% of America eats like crap their entire lives yet it hardly ever shortens their lifespans (other than the obese). Here we are on a forum where all of us inject steroids regularly, yet people are trying to sell me on the fact it is 1000x healthier to eat whole food as their protein source instead of whey or casein. That is such a minor detail, it isn't even worthy of being discussed. It also has no bearing on body composition, which is what we are supposed to be talking about here

Strange thread. Some posters focus on the headline (why is food better than whey protein) while others address the OP's question in context (essentially, is there anything wrong with supplementing the protein content of my reasonable diet with whey).

If you answer the headline, you say you need food for a wide range of nutrients ... a diet compromised largely of whey protein is likely to bad. No sh*t!

If you answer the actual question, you would probably say "Of course it's fine to supplement your diet with whey or lean beef aminos or whatever, so long as your diet is basically good". It's kind of ridiculous to talk about a single food or supplement outside of the totality of your diet. You can also ask: which is better, creatine or food?

Some people feel that whey is horribly toxic, etc., and has no place in anyone's diet. There may be better alternatives, but many bb'ers swear by whey ... and there is a huge body of scientific studies showing that whey is a useful and bioavailable protein source. Go to PubMed and search on whey.

Then there is "magical thinking" about "natural" things vs. "chemicals". Got news for ya': all things are chemicals. Protein concentrates and amino acids are compromised of chemicals that occur naturally in our diets, although usually with some fats and water.

people have gotten so off topic here, they lost grasp on what this thread is about, which is this:

protein powder vs protein from food: which yields better results for your muscle composition?

yet everyone wants to dive in to other factors like health, which has nothing to do with the topic at hand

funny how not a single thing you listed there said "yields better results", which is the entire point of this thread.

people want to go on about shit like health when 99% of America eats like crap their entire lives yet it hardly ever shortens their lifespans (other than the obese). Here we are on a forum where all of us inject steroids regularly, yet people are trying to sell me on the fact it is 1000x healthier to eat whole food as their protein source instead of whey or casein. That is such a minor detail, it isn't even worthy of being discussed. It also has no bearing on body composition, which is what we are supposed to be talking about here

You should have opened this thread with a simple paint picture explaining what you asked for :D

people have gotten so off topic here, they lost grasp on what this thread is about, which is this:

protein powder vs protein from food: which yields better results for your muscle composition?

yet everyone wants to dive in to other factors like health, which has nothing to do with the topic at hand

Protein is protein, all else equal ... But the rest of your diet determines the "all else" part. (I'm assuming we're talking about high quality complete proteins, of course).

Body composition however is influenced by a ton of factors: macronutients, training, gear, sleep habits, AND micronutrients (like zinc and chromium) as well as general health and energy levels.

The question would make more sense if the context is better defined. E.g. I eat 4 meals, and want to compare eating more food vs. whey shake in terms of impact on body composition.

What are you talking about. You totally misunderstood what I was saying... completely! I wasn't saying well there is no point in giving a fuck. My diet is mainly whole foods of excellent quality. It mainly consists of beef, chicken, fish (all the previous 3 of good quality and not that crap pumped full of hormones, water etc), coconut oil, olive oil, fruits (pineapple, acai, blueberries, apples, raspberries, passion fruit etc, sweet potatoes, brown rice, oats, whole eggs, greek yoghurt etc etc. My protein powder has no sweetners or fillers in and is of excellent quality... hey I don't even get it flavoured.

And the other poster calling me irrational... ha. My whole point was (by the way I am not saying this about you but just generally)... people tend to pick and choose about certain things in life. You could be totally different. I used to manage my own bodybuilding shop (selling supplements, fruits, nuts, other foods etc) and I would get people come in saying this sweetner causes cancer etc etc. But many of them were on gear they bought from some unknown. They pick and choose.

The starter of this thread gets it. I never directly answered his question because that was the point he was trying to make. He wanted to find out cause by his knowledge there is no evidence stating a clear answer. I believe whole foods are better for various reasons. But I also believe powders can be better for other reasons too. I use them for convenience. Sometimes I can't be bothered making 400g steaks and pasta at 1am so I may have a shake instead with some nuts or coconut oil or whatever I decide to do. I have never had any issues with preotein powders... apart from when I used some crap one I knew was full of fillers and other shite.

So when you read posts in the futute try and use some common sense.

Last edited:

And yes I believe overall whole foods are better for various reasons... most have been covered in this thread. But do I think whole foods are better than powders in every area... not at all. I live far from my gym and to be honest some days I don't really feel like getting the BBQ out and grilling some steak in the gym... oh but I guess I shouldn't anyway cause BBQing meats (high temperatures) has been shown to increase the risk of prostate cancer in rats. And please understand that properly. If you disagree then cool but try and get the proper meaning of my reply before you choose to comment.

What are you talking about. You totally misunderstood what I was saying... completely! I wasn't saying well there is no point in giving a fuck. My diet is mainly whole foods of excellent quality. It mainly consists of beef, chicken, fish (all the previous 3 of good quality and not that crap pumped full of hormones, water etc), coconut oil, olive oil, fruits (pineapple, acai, blueberries, apples, raspberries, passion fruit etc, sweet potatoes, brown rice, oats, whole eggs, greek yoghurt etc etc. My protein powder has no sweetners or fillers in and is of excellent quality... hey I don't even get it flavoured.

And the other poster calling me irrational... ha. My whole point was (by the way I am not saying this about you but just generally)... people tend to pick and choose about certain things in life. You could be totally different. I used to manage my own bodybuilding shop (selling supplements, fruits, nuts, other foods etc) and I would get people come in saying this sweetner causes cancer etc etc. But many of them were on gear they bought from some unknown. They pick and choose.

The starter of this thread gets it. I never directly answered his question because that was the point he was trying to make. He wanted to find out cause by his knowledge there is no evidence stating a clear answer. I believe whole foods are better for various reasons. But I also believe powders can be better for other reasons too. I use them for convenience. Sometimes I can't be bothered making 400g steaks and pasta at 1am so I may have a shake instead with some nuts or coconut oil or whatever I decide to do. I have never had any issues with preotein powders... apart from when I used some crap one I knew was full of fillers and other shite.

So when you read posts in the futute try and use some common sense.

You are right, I do get it and hear what you're saying. Suppose that instead of this protein powder you have at 1am, you eat chicken instead every night. I strongly strongly doubt your body will look any different in the long haul

Your body can't distinguish protein from whey vs protein from meat. It just recognizes that it's protein and then uses it as required.

Protein = protein no matter what the source.

The reason people recommend using whole foods are the extras provided by the whole foods such as vitamins and amino acids.

If you choose to use whey protein as your only source then go for it. However, your body will be missing out on some of the other essentials provided by whole foods.

wow i can't believe this thread is still going.

there is a good thread over at intensemuscle.com by our very own dusty hanshaw in the doggpound section that you guys need to read, its about making this whole bodybuilding thing a lot more complicated than what it really is, people put way too much thought into building muscle, its really quite basic and simple when you really think about it.

Your body can't distinguish protein from whey vs protein from meat. It just recognizes that it's protein and then uses it as required.

Protein = protein no matter what the source.

The reason people recommend using whole foods are the extras provided by the whole foods such as vitamins and amino acids.

If you choose to use whey protein as your only source then go for it. However, your body will be missing out on some of the other essentials provided by whole foods.

Not all proteins are the same. The amino acid profile and bioavailability of say the protein in peanuts, is going to be much different from milk. Eating 100g worth of protein from peanuts is not going to give you the same results as 100g of protein from milk. So trying to get a lot of your protein from just one source which may not have a good amino acid profile and/or bioavailability is going to be detrimental to you in results.

You are right, I do get it and hear what you're saying. Suppose that instead of this protein powder you have at 1am, you eat chicken instead every night. I strongly strongly doubt your body will look any different in the long haul

Yes I agree 99%. But although I feel that way I wouldn't feel comfortable say having all my protein from shakes. I believe in a well balanced diet containing various types of protein, carbs and fat etc. I love my protein shakes but nothing beats a big steak for me :)

And BBoy is spot on about people overcomplicating things. I am not one of them. Saying that I am not surprised this thread is still going as it is an interesting subject for many. But at the end of the day protein is protein... yes I know bioavailability is different but lets not start another 4 pages arguing that too :)

For those competing and really taking it to the next level to achieve very very low bodyfat.. Most start their preps with shakes some meals and whole food some meals..

Some people have little appetite at the start of their preps..
but as your metabolism increases so does your appetite... and soon enough the worst thing about eating is that your ext meal is hours away...

...... When you really start sending your metabolism into over drive your going to want to eat every calorie.. vs drink it...

So true, when I get to that stage I only add a drop of water to my protein and turn into into a paste and then add extra virgin cocount oil, mix it up and eat it very slowly!

Staff online

• A50#
    Old School Moderator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
nohara5216
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws