over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

2005 Achievments - 2006 Contest Plan

SDMan

Registered
Well, for once in my life, I'm entering the New Year with more than six months of continuous training under my belt, instead of having to resolve to start over again. Back in June, I set some goals for 2005 and am proud to say that I’ve achieved every one of them. I wanted to get my weight up to 210, and beat that by five pounds; break 200 on bench press, got 210; and simply make it to the gym every workout, which I managed to get done, even when on the road. I’ve been following the HST program and after 4 cycles my physique is coming along. My muscles are getting harder and more filled out, I’ve been regularly practicing my posing, and I like the changes I see in the mirror. My main disappointment is size. Even though I've put on about 20 pounds in the last six months and my strength has increased a lot on all lifts, my arms have only gone from 16 to 16.25". I really, really want to turn this around.

So now I'm setting new goals for 2006 and would appreciate any and all feedback. My ultimate goal is to compete in the NPC Excaliber on December 2nd. This is a contest that I entered in 1994, and though I only got 5th out of 7 in the Novice LW, I really enjoyed the whole experience, and got a trophy! This is one of the last contests in which I'll be able to enter the Over-40 division and feel like I've got to enter at least one more before I turn 50. Looking at the competitors in last years contest, I don't think I'm overreaching at all. I think that if I continue to make gains, I can be competitive in the Over-40 and possibly the Novice LHW.

Click here to see what I'll be up against: http://www.graphicmuscle.com/index.cfm?go2=contests_year&ContestYearID=194

My current stats are:
6'2 - Kinda tall for bodybuilding, I know.
215 - Still pretty lanky for my height.
20% BF - No comment.

My plan is to continue bulking until the end of August which will then give me about 14 weeks to prep for the contest. That’s 8 months, and if I can average a 3 pound gain per month, that would get me close to 240. Am I being over-ambitious? My workout is based on the HSIT program that RazorCuts has posted. I've split the workout in two, and train on MWF. This means that I'm training a given body part on either MFW or WMF - three times in a two week period. Three days per week has helped me prevent overtraining, which has always been a big problem of mine. My current workout is this:

Workout A
Squats
Leg Extensions
Stiff leg deadlifts or leg curls
Calf raise
Incline Bench press
Dips

Workout B
Deadlifts
Pulldowns
Seated dumbbell press
Curls
Tricep pushdowns
Abs

I've just started this training cycle, so I'm doing 3 sets of 12, stopping just short of failure on each set. I religiously keep a log and make sure I increase weight every workout. I keep the increments around 5%. A cycle lasts about 6-8 weeks, with weights increasing and sets/reps decreasing over that time frame. The last week of the cycle, I like to go balls out to failure on every exercise, then take about ten days off. Then I change the exercises, keeping the same basic order, each cycle.

I’ve really tightened up my diet over the last few months. I try to eat every 2 ½ to 3 hours, and get 30-40 grams of protein every meal, mostly from egg whites, chicken breast, ground turkey, lean beef, and whey protein powder. Carbs are pretty much based on how I feel. If I’m feeling a little bloated, I’ll cut back. Oatmeal, pasta, yams, long grain rice, and pearl barley (thanks for the tip, Xcelbeyond!), are my primary sources. The only fats I get are from the meats and fish oil caps. I do however work in an office with a well-stocked snack machine and haven’t been shying away from chips or peanut butter cookies. If I keep enough food on hand, I can resist. I figure I’m getting about 3500-4000 calories a day right now, and about 300 grams of protein.

Up to now, the only supps I’ve been taking have been a multi-vitamin, fish oil, and creatine (CEE). Today I received an order of some glutamine and bcaa’s. (This order took three weeks to arrive! PM me if you want to know which online seller to avoid.) I also have a small supply of M1T purchased before the prohormone ban, which I just started taking. Taking one a day, this should last about 5 weeks. I will get some OXO and start taking that after the M1T.

Come March when my car is paid off, I will be in a much better situation financially. I’m thinking that will be a perfect time to start using more potent supplements. I’ll have finished the M1T and will have enough time to do a couple mass building cycles, then a pre-contest cycle. If I can pack on another 25 lbs by August, and if most of it is muscle, then I’ll have about 40 lbs of fat I’ll have to get rid of by December. Less if I am able to gain muscle and lose fat between now and then.

So to summarize, I’ve put on some decent muscle in the last few months, and I would like to put on about 25 pounds more, and then train for competition. I think that with the amount of muscle I have now, and will add, I will be entering the LHW class at (hopefully just) under 198lbs. By my calculations, I should be <5% bf at that point. I guess my questions are these. Are my goals realistic, and am I on the right track in achieving them? Do I worry about fat at this point, or keep bulking? How much time should I give myself to strip the fat for competition?

By the way, if you’ve read this far, many thanks! I know this got pretty long, and I’ve got a long way to go, but I appreciate any advice I can get.

Keep pumpin’
Rick

you have your work cut out for you...

with those stats you gave, if you cut down right now to say 5%bf, you would be in the neighborhood of 185...then drop your water....on a 6'2" frame...to be brutally honest i think you really have your work cut out for you. maybe you can do it, maybe not...good luck though!!!:)

flexmaster said:
with those stats you gave, if you cut down right now to say 5%bf, you would be in the neighborhood of 185...then drop your water....on a 6'2" frame...to be brutally honest i think you really have your work cut out for you. maybe you can do it, maybe not...good luck though!!!:)

That being the case, to come in at the top of the LHW class I would only have to put on about another 12 pounds of muscle. I assume that I will lose some muscle in the cutting process, so I'm shooting for putting on more. Sounds like you think that I'm being unrealistic and/or I need more mass for my height. The first part I'm not so sure about, but I completely agree with the second. A 6'2 LightHeavy is not very massive, no doubt, but I will be shredded. I know that for me to seriously compete against more experienced bodybuilders who are like 5'9, 200, I would have to come in at least 250. I don't think most of the competitors in this particular contest are all that advanced, however, but if I can get close to reaching my goals this year, which I know I can, then I'll shoot for coming in much heavier next time. I just want to know that what I'm doing has me on the right track.

Hey SD,

Just want to say keep on going for your goals of what you want to gain muscle wise. Then let the chips fall where they may with the contest.

You may want to pay a little closer attention to your diet. Perhaps you are but it doesn't seem like it to me. You say eat every 2.5 - 3 hours and get approx 30 - 40 grams of protein each meal.

Figuring you are awake approx 16 hours a day means you are eating any where from 180 to 240 both of which are a far cry from the 300 grams you are figuring.

BTW the figures for you getting to 5% are correct only if you could lose fat and no muscle so figuring muscle loss what would you be on stage at what?

178 at 6'2"? Also as I am sure you know, you say then all you have to do is gain 12lbs but that is 12 lbs of pure muscle which as we get older gets EVEN MORE difficult.

Those guys in the link you showed are pretty darn good for their ages.

As I said before on this board, years ago 2 members of my gym asked me how they looked a couple weeks out from a show and I wanted to be supportive so I said YEA! you guys are doing good, KEEP IT UP!

I should have said FORGET IT. You look bad and should wait a year. Well they went ahead and looked small AND fat. No call outs of course and they both felt very bad.

So I am NOT trying to dog you but being honest cause that is the only thing that is going to get you where you want to be.

Best of luck and keep us updated.

CROWLER

Thanks Crowler. You make a good point about diet. I've started logging my food so I can get a better handle on it. As far as my goals, I'm really not hung up on a lot of numbers. They're just something to shoot for. Mainly, I want to gain as much solid weight as I can until it's time to start dieting. You also reminded me how much weight I lost during water depletion. Hadn't thought of that. Whatever weight I come in at this time will be fine if I get as lean as last time. And I'll be at least 30 pounds heavier than then. Even if I don't get a trophy, I know I won't be one of those guys that really shouldn't be there, and I'll just have to do better next time.

Attachments

• 1994.jpg
    1994.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:
SDMan said:
That being the case, to come in at the top of the LHW class I would only have to put on about another 12 pounds of muscle. I assume that I will lose some muscle in the cutting process, so I'm shooting for putting on more. Sounds like you think that I'm being unrealistic and/or I need more mass for my height. The first part I'm not so sure about, but I completely agree with the second. A 6'2 LightHeavy is not very massive, no doubt, but I will be shredded. I know that for me to seriously compete against more experienced bodybuilders who are like 5'9, 200, I would have to come in at least 250. I don't think most of the competitors in this particular contest are all that advanced, however, but if I can get close to reaching my goals this year, which I know I can, then I'll shoot for coming in much heavier next time. I just want to know that what I'm doing has me on the right track.
12 lbs of lean muscle mass will be very hard to do in the time frame oyu have. i have heard (dont remember where) that every lb of muscle you put on equates to around 3 lbs of bodyweight (including water ect...)...not sure if hats true, but i would imagine its close. if you want the experience, and arent really too concerned about placings (obviously we all would love to win), then go for it and have fun with it. good luck brotha!:)

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrcivic
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws