over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Alternative for row machine?

QuietStorm

Kilo Klub Member
Hey all.
My wife and I just joined our local country run rec facility. She is disabled and the swimming pool is great for her. Besides, for $190 a year for both of us, its a steal. It is very much like a YMCA. Pool, track, basketball, raquetball...and a fitness room.
My problem is they dont have cable weights or a row machine. No pull down lats...nothing like that. They have circuit stuff and free weights. They DO have a squat rack tho, so not all is lost.

My delima; how to get my rows in? I know I can do bent over rows with free weights, but I'm trying to think of some other method that works as well as seated rows. Any ideas?

Chin ups and deads.

Chin ups and deads.

This is how you suggest he get his ROWS in?

To the op....free weight rowing is really your best bet. Also, do dual (simultaneous) db rows. I assume the dbs don't go up extremely high, so bending over as close to 90degrees as possible with slight bend at the knee and rowing with both arms will allow you to do more, with less.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Another choice for both lat pull downs and seated rows would be to use bands.

If you go to Elitefts.com, they carry a ton of bands, including a set of Mountaindog's Combo pack.

They work great.

-MT

Load one end of the bar and do old school t-bar rows.

Chins and barbell rows overhand or reverse or dumbbell rows one arm or two at the same time.

I'm suprised no one listed bent over barbell rows. You can vary the grip of your hands to change the muscles targeted in the back as well!

I love Meadows rows. Inverted rows are another option.

Was just gonna say this.... Meadows rows are the shit..... 1 arm BB rows are great as well... just stick 1 end of the BB into a corner and row away!!!.

demobwre.jpg

**broken link removed**

demobwre.jpg

**broken link removed**

x2

Then of course use a bar with plates in the corner for a good t-bar row. There are lots of variations of db rows you could do. If you want to have your back supported use an incline bench and lie down backwards on the bench so you're facing the floor and row the db's.

Db rows-supinated, pronated, neutral

Then angles, incline, decline, flat

-one arm barbell rows
-supinated barbell rows
-pronated barbell rows
-pendlay rows
-meadows rows

Chins:

close, medium, wide as well as supinated, neutral and pronated. You could use bands as suggested above for pulldowns as well as for chins if you aren't strong enough to handle your bodyweight. Lots of options, just be creative.

Some great ideas! Thanks to all who responded.

Some of those, like T-rows, I havent even thought about in years. Nice visual aids Allex!

I knew you guys would come threw for me. You are the bomb! :headbang:

This is how you suggest he get his ROWS in?

To the op....free weight rowing is really your best bet. Also, do dual (simultaneous) db rows. I assume the dbs don't go up extremely high, so bending over as close to 90degrees as possible with slight bend at the knee and rowing with both arms will allow you to do more, with less.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

My point was I dont think its worth worrying about, he has good options . Chins are more than fine and way more important than other garnish .Between weighted chins and deads he would be way more developed than he would be with anything else.
If dumbbells are available he could throw in crock rows or Phil's 90 degree dumbells rows you mentioned. But deads and chins are still the meat and potatoes of the back IMHO.
Then squats, weighted dips, bench and overhead press and maybe some curls and he has a better work out than all the people using fancy hammer strength machines.

Last edited:
I like cable rows a lot but am not a fan of bent over barbell rows and don't find those inverted rows to be a major staple movement being Unloaded, too light to force an adaption to happen IMO
Barbell rows are just not worth it, too easy to hurt ones back

I like cable rows a lot but am not a fan of bent over barbell rows and don't find those inverted rows to be a major staple movement being Unloaded, too light to force an adaption to happen IMO
Barbell rows are just not worth it, too easy to hurt ones back

This is true if proper form or too much weight is used. I am far too old to worry about being a pro or carrying a ton of muscle. I need to keep what I have, maybe develop a little more, but not much so these exercises are perfect considering I dont have the equipment I have become accustom do over the years.
Thanks for your opinion, I appreciate it. :cool:

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity