over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Am I over training?

hikitiki

Registered
... maybe not training enough? Never really given it much thought before recently... I'm not having any terrible symptoms from my current routine - but I'm always open to tweaks that areas I am over looking. I'm not asking anyone to design a workout for me - just point out any obvious mistakes that you see.

Basically I split my workout into 3 groups: Back/Bi, chest/tri, legs

I take 3-4 days off between workouts so it ends up looking something like this

Mon - back/ bi
tues - chest/ tri
Weds - legs
thurs - off
fri - back/bi
sat - chest/tri
sun - off

mon - legs
tues - back/bi
wed - chest tri
thurs - off

etc etc, you get the idea. I usually have every thurs/sun off - but I'll alternate those days as necessary per how I'm feeling.

Abs every other day/every three days per how they feel - cardio 2-3 times a week depending on when leg days are.

I work the largest muscle groups first with compound exercises then move on to isolation. Usually around 9 sets consisting of 3 exercises for major groups and 3-5 sets of 2-3 exercises for the smaller groups.

For example on back day:

Lat pull downs x 3sets
dumb bell rows x 3
weighted pull ups x 3

straight bar burls x 2
dumb bell curls x 2

I'll alternate exercises to keep from getting bored, but the format is basically the same.

I train with whatever weight I need to so I am hitting failure between 8-12 reps. I usually train alone so I don't always push it to the max (I'm not trying to kill myself squatting).

Hope I made that as simple as possible... if anyone sees I'm doing something blatantly retarded - call me out :)

cheers

You don't deadlift or do shoulders?

I dead lift on leg days and I try to work mostly upper back on back days. I also make sure to leg/back days are farthest apart.

As far as shoulders go, I've suffered from impingement syndrome (pinching in the shoulder) for years. I can do shoulders, but any serious direct shoulder training leaves me fubar and starts effecting other lifts. So, for the sake of my health I settle for having them worked through other auxiliary movements :/

You said you take 3-4 days off between lifts, but you're doing 3on 1 off, 2on 1off. Did you mean 3-4 days between each body part you lift?

Are you getting the results you want? I used to do 3-1,2-1 also and just felt like I was overtraining. But that is me. I do 2-1,2-2 now and feel like I get just as good of workouts in, but longer rest before hitting it again.

You said you take 3-4 days off between lifts, but you're doing 3on 1 off, 2on 1off. Did you mean 3-4 days between each body part you lift?

Are you getting the results you want? I used to do 3-1,2-1 also and just felt like I was over training. But that is me. I do 2-1,2-2 now and feel like I get just as good of workouts in, but longer rest before hitting it again.

ya 3-4 between parts... I don't necessarily feel like I'm over training. I'm making slow steady progress. But I was recently out of the gym for a week cause of travel and I came back and felt fresher and more energetic than ever. Just got me thinking maybe there's something to that.

But like most guys here... I love the gym. Going less makes me sad :(

thanks!

I'm gonna try shaking things up a bit and see if it works.

... maybe not training enough? Never really given it much thought before recently... I'm not having any terrible symptoms from my current routine - but I'm always open to tweaks that areas I am over looking. I'm not asking anyone to design a workout for me - just point out any obvious mistakes that you see.

Basically I split my workout into 3 groups: Back/Bi, chest/tri, legs

I take 3-4 days off between workouts so it ends up looking something like this

Mon - back/ bi
tues - chest/ tri
Weds - legs
thurs - off
fri - back/bi
sat - chest/tri
sun - off

mon - legs
tues - back/bi
wed - chest tri
thurs - off

etc etc, you get the idea. I usually have every thurs/sun off - but I'll alternate those days as necessary per how I'm feeling.

Abs every other day/every three days per how they feel - cardio 2-3 times a week depending on when leg days are.

I work the largest muscle groups first with compound exercises then move on to isolation. Usually around 9 sets consisting of 3 exercises for major groups and 3-5 sets of 2-3 exercises for the smaller groups.

For example on back day:

Lat pull downs x 3sets
dumb bell rows x 3
weighted pull ups x 3

straight bar burls x 2
dumb bell curls x 2

I'll alternate exercises to keep from getting bored, but the format is basically the same.

I train with whatever weight I need to so I am hitting failure between 8-12 reps. I usually train alone so I don't always push it to the max (I'm not trying to kill myself squatting).

Hope I made that as simple as possible... if anyone sees I'm doing something blatantly retarded - call me out :)

cheers

Nobody can really tell you if your overtraining you need to read your body. If you feel fatigued and tired all the time and have loss of appitite then you probably are.

Try this split
day 1: legs
day 2: chest/shoulder/tri
day3: off
day4: back/ bi
day5: legs
day 6 and 7: off
day 8: chest/shoulder tri etc..

using dc principals

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads