over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Bad Heartburn. Doctor or self medicate?

GoneForever

Banned
Ok so i've had heartburn the past 3years and this past year its gotten worse. It flairs up at least 2x per day and whenever I eat anything remotely spicy its bad. Sometimes even using an otc zantac doesnt always help, but usually does help, but Im sure its not good to take that everyday. The bigger i've gotten the worse its got, which makes sense. Its much better now that Im dieting and not bulking. When I have a very clean day with just non spiced meats and shakes,oats,etc.. I wont get it at all, but no way I can do that everyday. Now, my ? is, should I just start something like prevacid or maybe nexium(the purple pill) or should I go to dr appt. Problem with Dr. is if they run a bloodtest they are gonna see my cholseterol is off and rbc,etc.. adn I cant expalin that its b/c im coming off a cycle,etc... so i dont wanna deal with that bullshit. Maybe just tell them I dont want a blood test? Not sure what to do. Also if I do get prescribed something, is that gonna interfer with digestion or have side effects?

Last edited:
A couple years back, I was getting bad heartburn every night. It would really flair up if I ate any type of tomato sauce, spicy food, and for some reason got especially bad if I was taking orals. I went to the doctor, and he wrote me a script for Nexium. Which worked great. You shouldn't have to take a blood test, just tell him you have heartburn everyday. Definately go to the doc, because heartburn can lead to worse problems such as esophagus erosion and ulcer, from what I remember my doctor telling me.

Last edited:
FG, what you probably have is Gastroesophogeal reflux disease, and certain foods, especially spicy foods will definitely trigger that reflux which is heartburn. First off I would stay away from those foods that trigger the heartburn like you are doing, next the OTC stuff can help only for so long but overall taking it consistently will not solve the underlying problem and may cause longer problems in the long run.
The best way to cure it is to prevent it by avoiding those triggering foods, but if you want to eat those foods, or it gets even worse where any foods trigger it, I would reccomend the Doc. The prescription stuff should not affect the digestion, and the benefits will far outweigh the occasional side effects.
As far as blood tests you could wait and deal until your blood is normal to go and check it out with your doctor or explain to your doctor your situation and be truthful and see if he can help, which Im sure he/she will. I dont think blood tests are needed anyway. Reflux can be real annoying and painful, and after three years it can really take a toll on you mentally and physically. Health is very important so make sure your health and body is top notch else you wont be able to be/train/eat/sleep top notch. Sorry for the long reply, but I am trying to help out.

Last edited:
I hear this ALL the time. Take a REALLY good enzyme at least twice a day. Look for one that is dosed with ALL of them Lipase, Amaylase, Protease, Papaya, Bromelain, etc.... This will help quite a bit and you might now even have to use any Script. for anything....

Also Aloe Vera liquid is a good to drink every day, it does good with Ulcers.

The problem could be the hydrochloric acid in your stomach backing up to your esophagus because of a problem with the cardiac sphincter, a flap that is supposed to protect your esphagus, from stomach acid. (Genetic)

As far as I know, the dr should not need a blood test. When I went for testing I had a series of x-rays of the upper digestive system after drinking a barium solution. (liquid chalk)
Most of the OTC products just neutrilize the acid in your stomach and prescription meds like nexium reduce gastric acid secretion. I was taking nexium but now I just mix baking soda with water. It works well but has to be done everyday, atleast in my situation.

Ok so i've had heartburn the past 3years and this past year its gotten worse. It flairs up at least 2x per day and whenever I eat anything remotely spicy its bad. Sometimes even using an otc zantac doesnt always help, but usually does help, but Im sure its not good to take that everyday. The bigger i've gotten the worse its got, which makes sense. Its much better now that Im dieting and not bulking. When I have a very clean day with just non spiced meats and shakes,oats,etc.. I wont get it at all, but no way I can do that everyday. Now, my ? is, should I just start something like prevacid or maybe nexium(the purple pill) or should I go to dr appt. Problem with Dr. is if they run a bloodtest they are gonna see my cholseterol is off and rbc,etc.. adn I cant expalin that its b/c im coming off a cycle,etc... so i dont wanna deal with that bullshit. Maybe just tell them I dont want a blood test? Not sure what to do. Also if I do get prescribed something, is that gonna interfer with digestion or have side effects?

Also if I do get prescribed something, is that gonna interfer with digestion or have side effects?

My wife uses the "little purple pill" when her acid reflux kicks up and it works great but constipation can be a common side...

Its very likely that the real cause is inadequate stomach acid. This causes the valve at the top... "cardiac sphincter" to relax and allow the weak stomach acid up into your esophogus. Go to the health food store and get some HCL and try that. If it works, thats the cause. Very cheap and easy to do. Save the $$$

Dr.s don't tell you this because they can't sell you any of the drugs.

Got to make those Mercedes payments.....

PRILOSEC otc

Hey fourthgen,
I had the same problem and I too get up in the middle of the night with acid in my throat, burns and it sucks. I had to stop drinking so much coffee and coca cola and it helped, but taking enzymes after my biggest meal, (dinner) really helps ,also probiotics daily and finally Prilosec otc for 7 or 14 days( one pill every morning before eating) worked wonders and I hardly get it at all anymore. I too was about to go to the doc, but now I don't have to. As far as enzymes go though DO NOT get one with betaine HCL , it will only make it worse, all the other enzymes such as amylase, protease,bromelain, papain,lipase etc are fine.

Heart burn sux!! I have had to go to the doc for it too. Nexium is great but now ins may not pay cause prilosec otc is over the counter now , but it is decent too. They did not want my blood. Also orals will kill you with heartburn. Try to figure out lifestyle changes to help and not stay on nexium too long. I did for a couple months but it does effect digestion.

NO CONTRIBUTION

Last edited:
Cool thanks guys. I'll make a dr. appt. At first it was only at night, but now its all throughout the day. I do take bromelain and ginger root with meals and probiotics. It actually helped when I first started for about 2 weeks and then came right back. I doubt the stuff they give me will give digestion problems too much or else they would warn you about it and nobody would grow b/c nothing would be digested.

My suggestion is to stay away from Nexium for long term use. Go with Prilosec instead. Also some bromelain and papaya have been a great combination for aiding in digestion and enzyme gastric help. There are many natural cures by way of fruits and veggies. The trick is to know in what combinations to use them. Raw fruits and vegetables have some of the best natural enzymes in them. Too many times we eat processed foods or foods that have have their enzymes cooked or fried out of them. Our bodies have a set number of enzymes we are born with. It's time many americans get back to eating their foods as raw as the can get it.(within reason of course) And you'll see how many stomach and digestive problems can be solved naturally.

Granted the risk of these is less then 1% of the populated users but none the less very real risks of using Nexium.

Body as a Whole: abdomen enlarged, allergic reaction, asthenia, back pain, chest pain, chest pain substernal, facial edema, peripheral edema, hot flushes, fatigue, fever, flu-like disorder, generalized edema, leg edema, malaise, pain, rigors; Cardiovascular: flushing, hypertension, tachycardia; Endocrine: goiter; Gastrointestinal: bowel irregularity, constipation aggravated, dyspepsia, dysphagia, dysplasia GI, epigastric pain, eructation, esophageal disorder, frequent stools, gastroenteritis, GI hemorrhage, GI symptoms not otherwise specified, hiccup, melena, mouth disorder, pharynx disorder, rectal disorder, serum gastrin increased, tongue disorder, tongue edema, ulcerative stomatitis, vomiting; Hearing: earache, tinnitus; Hematologic: anemia, anemia hypochromic, cervical lymphoadenopathy, epistaxis, leukocytosis, leukopenia, thrombocytopenia; Hepatic: bilirubinemia, hepatic function abnormal, SGOT increased, SGPT increased; Metabolic/Nutritional: glycosuria, hyperuricemia, hyponatremia, increased alkaline phosphatase, thirst, vitamin B12 deficiency, weight increase, weight decrease; Musculoskeletal: arthralgia, arthritis aggravated, arthropathy, cramps, fibromyalgia syndrome, hernia, polymyalgia rheumatica; Nervous System/Psychiatric: anorexia, apathy, appetite increased, confusion, depression aggravated, dizziness, hypertonia, nervousness, hypoesthesia, impotence, insomnia, migraine, migraine aggravated, paresthesia, sleep disorder, somnolence, tremor, vertigo, visual field defect; Reproductive: dysmenorrhea, menstrual disorder, vaginitis; Respiratory: asthma aggravated, coughing, dyspnea, larynx edema, pharyngitis, rhinitis, sinusitis; Skin and Appendages: acne, angioedema, dermatitis, pruritus, pruritus ani, rash, rash erythematous, rash maculo-papular, skin inflammation, sweating increased, urticaria; Special Senses: otitis media, parosmia, taste loss, taste perversion; Urogenital: abnormal urine, albuminuria, cystitis, dysuria, fungal infection, hematuria, micturition frequency, moniliasis, genital moniliasis, polyuria; Visual: conjunctivitis, vision abnormal.

And yet they say Anabolic Steroids are bad for you! Give me a FOOKING break!

i had same problem but prolly worse?

if i ate: anything w tomatoe in it, any acidic foods (carbonation requires carbonic acid) coffee, spicy foods, etc. i would wake up in the middle of the night rolling in pain or wake up choking on my own puke several times. which scared the shit outta my girl at the time. sooooooo, i went to the doctor and he said he could prescribe something but it wouldn't be much better than OTC Prilosec. so, he said take one every day and avoid acidic foods. -STEELE

I just dont see how a little digestion pill could cause all this. Thats crazy.

My suggestion is to stay away from Nexium for long term use. Go with Prilosec instead. Also some bromelain and papaya have been a great combination for aiding in digestion and enzyme gastric help. There are many natural cures by way of fruits and veggies. The trick is to know in what combinations to use them. Raw fruits and vegetables have some of the best natural enzymes in them. Too many times we eat processed foods or foods that have have their enzymes cooked or fried out of them. Our bodies have a set number of enzymes we are born with. It's time many americans get back to eating their foods as raw as the can get it.(within reason of course) And you'll see how many stomach and digestive problems can be solved naturally.

Granted the risk of these is less then 1% of the populated users but none the less very real risks of using Nexium.

Body as a Whole: abdomen enlarged, allergic reaction, asthenia, back pain, chest pain, chest pain substernal, facial edema, peripheral edema, hot flushes, fatigue, fever, flu-like disorder, generalized edema, leg edema, malaise, pain, rigors; Cardiovascular: flushing, hypertension, tachycardia; Endocrine: goiter; Gastrointestinal: bowel irregularity, constipation aggravated, dyspepsia, dysphagia, dysplasia GI, epigastric pain, eructation, esophageal disorder, frequent stools, gastroenteritis, GI hemorrhage, GI symptoms not otherwise specified, hiccup, melena, mouth disorder, pharynx disorder, rectal disorder, serum gastrin increased, tongue disorder, tongue edema, ulcerative stomatitis, vomiting; Hearing: earache, tinnitus; Hematologic: anemia, anemia hypochromic, cervical lymphoadenopathy, epistaxis, leukocytosis, leukopenia, thrombocytopenia; Hepatic: bilirubinemia, hepatic function abnormal, SGOT increased, SGPT increased; Metabolic/Nutritional: glycosuria, hyperuricemia, hyponatremia, increased alkaline phosphatase, thirst, vitamin B12 deficiency, weight increase, weight decrease; Musculoskeletal: arthralgia, arthritis aggravated, arthropathy, cramps, fibromyalgia syndrome, hernia, polymyalgia rheumatica; Nervous System/Psychiatric: anorexia, apathy, appetite increased, confusion, depression aggravated, dizziness, hypertonia, nervousness, hypoesthesia, impotence, insomnia, migraine, migraine aggravated, paresthesia, sleep disorder, somnolence, tremor, vertigo, visual field defect; Reproductive: dysmenorrhea, menstrual disorder, vaginitis; Respiratory: asthma aggravated, coughing, dyspnea, larynx edema, pharyngitis, rhinitis, sinusitis; Skin and Appendages: acne, angioedema, dermatitis, pruritus, pruritus ani, rash, rash erythematous, rash maculo-papular, skin inflammation, sweating increased, urticaria; Special Senses: otitis media, parosmia, taste loss, taste perversion; Urogenital: abnormal urine, albuminuria, cystitis, dysuria, fungal infection, hematuria, micturition frequency, moniliasis, genital moniliasis, polyuria; Visual: conjunctivitis, vision abnormal.

And yet they say Anabolic Steroids are bad for you! Give me a FOOKING break!

I know you can buy OTC meds to treat the symptoms but you MAY have a more serious problem that needs addressed..see a doctor.

If it has not caused more serious problems, you might want to try taking 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar before each meal. It sounds too simple, but it could do the trick if the problem is inadquate stomach acid to aid in digestion. You might want to try acidophilus also. The vinegar sure worked to me.

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrcivic
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws