advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Benfotiamine? Who uses it? And what is it/what it is..

Knight9

Featured Member / Verified Customer / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Verified Customer
I never even heard of this until I posted a video on Evan's health supplementation and he mentioned how it was one of his staples. He mentioned he used the Doctor's Best brand and also said a little something about how it is healthy when you are consuming carbs throughout the day. I do wish I knew how much of it he used...he did not divulge that.

The following is from the Doctor's Best site...

Helps maintain healthy cells in the presence of blood glucose*
Controls formation of Advanced Glycation Endproducts (AGEs)*
Normalizes cellular processes fueled by glucose metabolites*

Benfotiamine (S-benzoylthiamine-O-monophosphate) is a synthetic derivative of thiamin, belonging to the family of compounds known as "allithiamines." Benfotiamine is fat-soluble and more bioavailable and physiologically active than thiamin.* Benfotiamine raises the blood level of thiamin pyrophosphate (TPP), the biologically active coenzyme of thiamin, and stimulates transketolase, a cellular enzyme essential for maintenance of normal glucose metabolic pathways.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Benfotiamine (S-benzoylthiamine O-monophosphate) is a synthetic derivative of thiamin (vitamin B1) that has been shown in studies to be far more bioavailable than actual thiamin.1-3 Benfotiamine taken orally is readily absorbed at higher doses, in sharp contrast to regular water-soluble forms of thiamin that exhibit a rapid decline in absorption when taken in doses above 5 mg.1, 4 Human and rodent studies indicate that benfotiamine can greatly improve thiamin status, especially in comparison with regular forms of thiamin.5 In a randomized, double-blind cross-over trial comparing bioavailability of benfotiamine to that of thiamin mononitrate (the most common supplemental form of vitamin B1) in 12 individuals, benfotiamine caused an average 5-fold greater increase in blood thiamin levels than thiamin mononitrate, with a concomitant greater thiamin concentration in red blood cells.3 Benfotiamine is converted to S-benzoylthiamin (through removal of the O-monophosphate by the digestive tract), which readily passes through intestinal cells and is converted into thiamin.6, 7 -
----------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
Benefits

Support against oxidative stress*

Benfotiamine displays direct antioxidant action in vitro, and preliminary research with human subjects suggests that this activity can be advantageous in helping to safeguard the integrity of human DNA by increasing the antioxidant capacity of plasma.8 In the laboratory, when human, rat, and porcine kidney cells were exposed to toxins that assault the integrity of DNA, benfotiamine was able to reduce oxidative stress under these circumstances.9 Benfotiamine, like vitamins C and E, can deter the activation of NF-kB (a DNA-binding factor known to be activated by oxidative stress-generated reactive oxygen species) for more balanced immune responses. Furthermore, recent in vitro results suggest that the beneficial antioxidant properties of benfotiamine could work against some forms of lipid peroxidation.10 An animal model suggests that during oxidative stress generated by excess glucose, benfotiamine has the capacity to reduce levels of superoxide and hydroxyl radicals in the heart.11Similarly, an animal model of induced oxidative stress in the cerebral cortex (the outer most layer of the brain) suggests a beneficial antioxidant effect of benfotiamine.12

Supports blood levels of thiamin pyrophosphate (TTP), the biologically active co–enzyme form of thiamin*
Helps maintain healthy glucose metabolism*

Benfotiamine increases blood and tissue levels of thiamin pyrophosphate (TPP), the biologically active co-enzyme form of thiamin.1, 7, 13 TPP acts as a co-enzyme for three critical enzymes involved in glucose metabolism: 1) transketolase, 2) pyruvate dehydrogenase, and 3) a-ketoglutarate decarboxylase.14 The latter two enzymes are involved in utilizing glucose for fuel. Thus, TTP is vital to the cell’s energy supply.

Stimulates transketolase, a cellular enzyme essential for maintenance of normal glucose metabolic pathways*

Superoxide, a type of free radical known as a reactive oxygen species (ROS), is a highly toxic molecule produced by our immune system as part of our defense network; in this capacity, it is carefully controlled and works in our favor. However, superoxide is also a byproduct of cellular energy production and other vital processes such as the breakdown of nucleic acids (DNA & RNA) and ATP. It can be produced in quantities beyond our immediate capacity to neutralize, hindering another enzyme involved in the metabolism of glucose, GAPDH. This can lead to a build up of upstream glucose metabolites15; in other words, the pathway can get “backed up.” Biological metabolic pathways can be thought of as similar to assembly (or disassembly) lines, where enzymes in the pathway are analogous to steps in the assembly or disassembly of a product. Blocking GAPDH essentially slows the metabolism of glucose, causing a build up of the metabolites being produced up to that point in the process. These glucose metabolites can be safely metabolized by transketolase. However, if transketolase activity is not optimal, some of these metabolites may be diverted to other biochemical pathways, including the production of advanced glycation end-products (AGEs). Benfotiamine can enhance transketolase activity by promoting tissue levels of TPP.16

Supports healthy aging*
Disrupts formation of Advanced Glycation End-Products (AGEs)*
Helps maintain healthy circulation*

This benfotiamine enhanced transketolase activity leads to metabolic pathways favoring less production of AGEs.16 AGEs are formed by a complex series of reactions between reducing sugars and amino acids on proteins, lipids, and nucleic acids. Diet is a major external source of AGEs, with about 10% of AGEs from food remaining in the body after ingestion.17 Bodily AGE levels are higher in smokers and individuals consuming AGE-rich diets.18 In food, AGEs are created by a non-enzymatic browning process called the Maillard reaction, which can contribute to desired colors, odors, and tastes (caramelized onions is one example of the reaction’s results). However, this reaction is not restricted to food; in 1981, researchers discovered that the Maillard reaction also takes place within the body,19 and that it accelerates as we age (hence the term “AGE”).20 AGEs are especially a concern among long–lived proteins, such as serum albumin, lens crystalline, and collagen in the extracelluar matrix. Internal AGEs may also be formed within cells due to accumulation of super–reactive glucose metabolic intermediates, such as triosephosphates, affecting nearby proteins, lipids, and DNA.5

In a crossover study of 13 participants, a test meal with high AGE content was provided before and after 3 days of oral benfotiamine administration at a dose of 1,050 mg.17 Measurements of endothelial function (behavior of cells lining the blood vessel walls) and oxidative stress were taken on both occasions. The high AGE meal significantly increased TBARS (an indicator of oxidative stress) and impaired circulation—yet these effects of the meal were negated by supplemental benfotiamine when compared to the baseline meal as measured prior to supplementation. Although this study was small and more research is needed, it implies that benfotiamine may help to maintain healthy post-meal circulation. In laboratory animals, benfotiamine has been demonstrated to decrease AGE production in the nerves, kidneys, and retina of the eyes.16, 21, 22 While these studies are suggestive of an ability of benfotiamine to reduce production of AGEs in humans, this has yet to be strongly demonstrated clinically.

Helps maintain nervous system health*

Benfotiamine also has a history of nerve-related research, including a 3-week randomized, double-blinded, placebo-controlled pilot trial of 40 participants. In this short study, the group taking 400 mg benfotiamine daily had superior sensory function and other statistically significant outcome measures pertaining to nerve health.23 These findings are supported by results from other placebo-controlled trials in which benfotiamine was administered as tablets or capsules in doses ranging from 120 to 600 mg daily (higher doses showed the greatest benefit).24-26 In a mouse model, benfotiamine has been shown to support cognitive function.27

Pretty sure discohornet is all over the stuff. You know his site?

Pretty sure discohornet is all over the stuff. You know his site?

I suppose I may have missed it. Could you perhaps PM me a link? I just looked through all the topics again and couldn't locate anything.

Discohornet's Article..

Make Your Coffee Kick Ass Again

Are you a frequent coffee drinker? Does it not seem to have the same kick in the butt you need to start your morning? Do you become anxious, jittery and irritable if you drink too much? Read on if you want to know the secret to refreshing your morning ritual.

I almost can’t function in the morning without coffee. Millions of people around the world seem to be hooked on that big cup of “kick in the ass” first thing in the am. And yet, over time, the original effects of increased alertness and elevated mood have faded. Now, I still get a boost in energy, but it also comes with an edginess, an irritability and jitteriness that almost interferes with getting anything done. I used to think it was just what happens when you drink too much coffee or caffeine in general. After some digging I’m beginning to change my mind about this…

There has been a lot of hype surrounding a coffee called “Bulletproof Coffee”, which is essentially an attempt to “fix” the problem with coffee, and the inventor of this coffee blend believes it has to do with something called mycotoxins. I dug a little deeper and found a great video with Joe Rogan discussing mycotoxins and the conclusion was that most coffee today is actually pretty devoid of mycotoxins, and that it is more likely the tannins and polyphenols in coffee are to blame for the jitters. I also found a great alternative recipe for “fat” coffee that will kick some butt, over on Depasi Fitness Solutions. Marc has a lot of great things to say about how fat will turbocharge your morning brew and why you should consider going keto while you’re at it ;)

But what is it about the tannins and such that cause this? First let me say that Caffeine in general can cause a burnout effect. It’s the natural result of adenosine receptor blockade which Caffeine initiates.

But I still felt like there was something else that might be the culprit for the jittery burnt out feeling we get if we drink coffee regularly. It turns out that my hunch was valid.

Say hello to B1…

Thiamin, aka Vitamin B1, is the first vitamin ever to be discovered. Thiamin deficiency causes something called “beriberi”. After reading more about this unique disease (similar to how Vitamin C causes Scurvy) I have come to the conclusion that our diet is devoid of enough Thiamine to do what is needed to prevent these issues. Some of the symptoms of Thiamine Deficiency sound straight out of the “well this is just what it’s like when you get old and drink too much coffee”. It turns out that a lot of different foods interfere with Thiamine absorption and utilization. The phenomenon is known as Anti-Thiamine.

Certain foods and bacteria interfere with the body’s ability to digest Thiamine and also can break down the vitamin (certain types of raw fish for instance) while it is already in the bloodstream via an enzyme called Thiaminase.

What is another source of Thiaminase? You guessed it, tannins in coffee. Chlorogenic acid is also a major culprit (watch out for this with Green Coffee bean). They are what is known as Anti-Thiamine Factors. While roasting does destroy some of these enzymes, if you are the kind of person that reaches for the second or third cup, chances are you are depleting your body of one of the most crucial vitamins responsible for all sorts of various actions such as transkelotase production, nerve protection and restoration, and even anxiolysis.

So what led me down this path? I had a bottle of Benfotiamine sitting in my drawer of random supplements. I bought it a long time ago thinking that it would be good to protect against excessive AGE’s (advanced glycation end products). I took it at the recommended dose from time to time and never noticed much of a benefit so I blew it off.

I had been experiencing some issues with blood sugar, so I decided to crank up my Thiamine consumption. Benfotiamine is a unique, fat-soluble version of Thiamine. The end result is very efficiently increased Thiamine levels. It turns out, it’s not so much that it is fat soluble, it is that somehow this form, when hitting the gastric tract, provides a much more bioavailable form of Thiamine for use by the body.

Anyhow, I decided to take a mega dose of Benfotiamine.

Doctor’s Best Benfotiamine 300 Mg Vegetarian Capsules, 60 Count

I chucked 450mg down my throat and then forgot about it. Until halfway through the day, when I usually grab a cup of coffee, and then regret the edginess it gives me a few minutes later. Instead of feeling anxious and edgy, I felt calm, focused and alert. I decided to do some digging and found that I just might be on to something here. I have continued taking about 1000 mg a day of Benfotiamine and the results have been amazing. I have had some sciatica and essential tremor issues that are slowly dissipating. I find that I can easily handle the stress I experience throughout the day, and most interestingly, I have found the desire to take anxiolytic substances diminished greatly. And here’s the kicker. I’ve been eating a lot of carbs lately, and they’ve made me feel like ass. I just assumed that carbs suck, therefore I will feel like ass when I eat them. I’m not arguing for or against a keto or carb diet here. But what I did realize is that if you DO decide to eat carbs, and eat a lot of them, then you better be damn sure you are getting enough B Vitamins to convert those carbs into energy. And no, for whatever reason, the typical thiamine mononitrate just doesn’t seem to cut it…

And of course, there’s the coffee. It’s like drinking coffee for the first time again.

What’s more… I ran out a few days ago, and I can clearly feel the benefits of the increased Thiamine consumption beginning to wane as I deplete stores of it by continuing my coffee regimen, not to mention all the other things that deplete thiamine, like carbohydrate consumption and exhaustive exercise.

So here’s the deal. If you workout hard, if you drink tea or coffee, if you drink alcohol, if you eat excessive amounts of carbs… You may be Thiamine deficient. And realize that even the Thiamine in your multi is not at all going to replace what you have depleted by living the lifestyle you live… Try some Benfotiamine and you may once again, fall in love with Coffee once it starts kicking ass again…

Here’s a link to my preferred product, Doctor’s Best Benfotiamine.

Try 600-900mg daily for a few weeks and see if you don’t start to feel amazing again. Make sure to also take a regular b-complex so that you don’t end up with an imbalance of b vitamins…

Very interesting. As a coffee addict who doesn't really get that kick anymore I would be interested in that effect alone.

**broken link removed**

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
calebjmb
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity