over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Bodybuilding is NOT a sport

To me yes. If you want to be the best at anything, you have to be disclipine in that sport.

one could argue then that a person working a full time job and taking MBA classes requires a huge amount of discipline to schedule their day and get all the work done. Is getting an MBA while working then deemed a SPORT?

Serious question: what difference does it make if it's a "sport" or not?

(I'm not being sarcastic or demeaning, I'm seriously interested in hearing opinions on this).

Good point. I however think it's more of a discipline than a sport.

one could argue then that a person working a full time job and taking MBA classes requires a huge amount of discipline to schedule their day and get all the work done. Is getting an MBA while working then deemed a SPORT?

That depends, is thier a competition involved? EX: A group of people are competing in a game, to see who gets the highest score. There is a prize involved.

Anything could probally be labeled a sport if it is a competition and a prize involved.

Last edited:
Bodybuilding is a certain lifestyle and not everyone can handle it! That lifestyle can be competitive at times, making it a competiton between others on stage, so to me, it would call it a sport that displays the art of the body, discipline of the body, and patience of the body!

But, a mainstream sport it is not! And if bowling is a damn sport...it has to be somewhere between a sport and an activity requiring physical competitiveness! Just my opinion!

Bodybuilding is a certain lifestyle and not everyone can handle it! That lifestyle can be competitive at times, making it a competiton between others on stage, so to me, it would call it a sport that displays the art of the body, discipline of the body, and patience of the body!

But, a mainstream sport it is not! And if bowling is a damn sport...it has to be somewhere between a sport and an activity requiring physical competitiveness! Just my opinion!

Is a individual venture sport, is no clear competition line between the body builders, but is a competition so is sport.

What about the manner in which the sport is judged. With bodybuilding, whomever wins is a matter of opinion.
Its not like crossing the finishline first, or making a basket or hitting a homerun.
There is no black and white definite winner (sometimes there is but you catch my drift).

Are beauty pageants a sport?

I think Bodybuilding is a sport.. Its just not a mainstream sport..

Its pretty sad when the biggest even in bodybuilding history takes place(Mr. Olympia) and you cant even find the results in a newspaper or news...Our passion surely is not mainstream..

Last edited:
Serious question: what difference does it make if it's a "sport" or not?

(I'm not being sarcastic or demeaning, I'm seriously interested in hearing opinions on this).

No difference to me at all. I was just looking for interesting debate on the topic. There have been some very good answers both for and against.

No. For the same reason that bodybuilding does not qualify. They lack the essential ingredient of SKILL.

Remember, NOT being a sport does not take away from the amazing amount of dedication, training, and blood sweat and tears it takes to reach the top. The question was to see what people think is the defining factor of what makes a sport.

Bodybuilding is not a sport, but bodybuilders are athletes. Golf IS a sport, but golfers are NOT athletes.
All elephants are grey, but all things grey are not elephants!

Last edited:
At first I thought no, but then I thought about it and It is a sport. Its a competition and along with the physical aspect I think it makes it a sport.

I think Bodybuilding is a sport.. Its just not a mainstream sport..

Its pretty sad when the biggest even in bodybuilding history takes place(Mr. Olympia) and you cant even find the results in a newspaper or news...Our passion surely is not mainstream..

Sad that the dedication and hard work is not recognized by the general public, but then again, what makes bodybuilding SO unique is because the general public could NEVER compete in bodybuilding. EVERYONE can go golfing.........

At first I thought no, but then I thought about it and It is a sport. Its a competition and along with the physical aspect I think it makes it a sport.

a good combination and a good point!

No. For the same reason that bodybuilding does not qualify. They lack the essential ingredient of SKILL.

Remember, NOT being a sport does not take away from the amazing amount of dedication, training, and blood sweat and tears it takes to reach the top. The question was to see what people think is the defining factor of what makes a sport.

Bodybuilding is not a sport, but bodybuilders are athletes. Golf IS a sport, but golfers are NOT athletes.
All elephants are grey, but all things grey are not elephants!

After I read the 2 sentences at the beginninng of this post, I was going to reply
and disagree. Then after reading the whole post, I started to see your point. I have a question as well. Are they Bodybuilding SHOWS or COMPETITIONS?

To fairly judge, you must ONLY look at the competition itself.
Not what goes on behind the scenes.

You cannot judge it based on the bodybuilders training and lifestyles. Only what goes on at the competition itself.

It is a pageant. The competitors are athletes, yes.

But it is a PHYSIQUE COMPETITION.

So based on the competition itself, is bodybuilding a sport?

My gut tells me maybe.

What SKILL is required to compete in bodybuilding?

Main Entry: 2skill
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English skil, from Old Norse, distinction, knowledge; probably akin to Old English scylian to separate, sciell shell — more at shell
Date: 13th century
1 obsolete : cause, reason
2 a : the ability to use one's knowledge effectively and readily in execution or performance b : dexterity or coordination especially in the execution of learned physical tasks
3 : a learned power of doing something competently : a developed aptitude or ability

Again you might be over analyzing the term "skill"
Would you say...a sniper? Does not require skill because he is simply pulling a trigger? There are hundreds of comparisons I can make..but it comes down to what you consider a skill..and youve probably been training for a while now so it might seem to you that bodybuilding does not require "skills" but think back when you first entered a gym and didnt know how to properly perform a certain exercise..the skills bodybuilders have acquired are the reason they look the way they do. Guys who dont possess these skills might be considered "gym rats" maybe?

Last edited:
Again you might be over analyzing the term "skill"
Would you say...a sniper? Does not require skill because he is simply pulling a trigger? There are hundreds of comparisons I can make..but it comes down to what you consider a skill..and youve probably been training for a while now so it might seem to you that bodybuilding does not require "skills" but think at when you first entered a gym and didnt know how to properly perform a certain exercise..and some might consider their "skills" to come to light the day of their show.

That doesnt really matter because technically you can never work out a day in your life and still compete in a bodybuilding show.

That doesnt really matter because technically you can never work out a day in your life and still compete in a bodybuilding show.

True, but you can never play golf once in your life and enter a golf tournament.

damn... you read my mind as i was scrolling down, that's what i was saying.

the only reason people try and try and try to define bodybuilding as a sport is because they want to have a convincing arguement whenever they talk with someone who says "this is stupid anyway... bodybuilding isn't a sport. basketball players are a million times more athletic than bodybuilders" or whatever...
there threads are everywhere at getbig :D

lifting weights is a sport (as in powerlifting and olympic weight lifting) because there is a clear cut goal you have to acheive. BODYBUILDING is just a beauty pageant for men. sad, but true. A soccer match can't be thrown off by "politics" (well, you can always argue that they bribe the judge or whatever, but that's different)... you never find people saying such and such got robbed in the 100 meter dash... cuz there's a goal, and whoever acheives it first, wins. In bodybuilding, it's up to how the judges feels that day, not by acheiving the goal... the goal is to be dry, shredded, big, and bring your god given "beauty" on stage.

I can't speak for everyone, cuz other people have different opinions about why they want bodybuilding to be a sport so bad.. but if someone is bugging you about it not being a sport, just say "hey, a broke soccer player can't get laid for shit. a broke ass ugly bodybuilder has a much better chance... and if you don't agree, my arms are bigger than your thighs so you can imagine what would happen if i clothelined your ass."

that, to me, is much better than trying to argue about how it is a sport :D
j/k

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
calebjmb
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner