over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

brown rice or white rice?

cream of rice is my favorite. they have a brown rice version too.

Give Uncle Ben's Converted White rice a try.

Ok, before anyone gets their panties in a wad - the glycemic index on Uncle Ben's is 38, which is lower than regular brown rice. Supposedly it's due to some proprietary processing technique. Don't believe me? Look it up.
The Glycemic Index
Glycemic Index and Glycemic Load item #603

"Of course, each of these three types of rice may be brown or white. Brown rice has a lower glycemic index than white rice, everything else being equal. Therefore brown long-grain rice—or if you can find it—brown Basmati rice—will probably have a lower glycemic index. White Basmati rice had a glycemic index of 83 in one study. Brown Basmati rice can be expected to have a somewhat lower index, but we don't know precisely what it is, because the studies haven't been done yet.

In fact, however, Uncle Ben's Converted Rice is the lowest glycemic rice you can get. This is white rice. Jennie Brand-Miller has indicated to me that this company may use a secret process."

Last edited:
Brown Rice Cakes

Wholefood sells them. Although I don't know if there is one near you. And no they are not fried..

Rice pudding is my favorite :D

... To help with preparation of the brown rice... Soak it for an hour, drain and refill and cook (using a rice cooker)... Rice cookers are worth it and make life easier.

When it comes to cooking and eating, I try to keep it as simple as possible or I might become lazy and then just not do it....

Don't eat Jasmine rice (as someone posted earlier). Jasmine rice is the rice they use with sushi and is the worst (in terms of GI and processing).

Brown rice is good but the rice most BB'ers eat is basmati rice! (not sure where the previous poster got his GI number but it is 56-58).

Myself, I actually like brown rice (you really DO have to cook it properly IN A RICE COOKER) but basmati seems better for insulin control. (it is actually recommended to diabetes patients OVER any other type of rice)

Much of this has to do with the way the rice is processed after being picked! Most of it (even some brown) is bleached to some extent, stripping away most of the nutrients and causing tears in the rice husk. This leads to faster digestion which = higher insulin spikes. (Kinda similar to "old-fashioned oats" vs. "steel-cut oats")... Basmati rice is the exception! Which is why it's a bit more expensive. I buy the big brown sacks (10 lbs) for ~ $15, (lasts a few weeks).

By the way... Brown basmati is only a few points lower (GI) than white, so they are essentially the same. It is also difficult to find!

So, white basmati, if you truly hate brown BUT NO Jasmin!

S~

i cant stand the taste/texture of brown rice. i know i wont eat it so i dont bother buying it anymore. i eat white rice, its better than none at all imo.

I eat white rice around my workouts bc of its high GI. Get that Insulin going!!!!

I know soy sauce is bad... too high in sodium and what not but it taste so good. What are some alternatives you guys add to rice to add to the taste. It may be just me but after a while plain old rice just gets old. Any suggestions to spice it up healthy like?

I know soy sauce is bad... too high in sodium and what not but it taste so good. What are some alternatives you guys add to rice to add to the taste. It may be just me but after a while plain old rice just gets old. Any suggestions to spice it up healthy like?
low sodium soy-sauce, lol

depends on what im eating but usually its chicken and veggies, so i use a bit of olive oil and red wine vinegar or balsamic is good too.

I am big rice lover and it doesn't matter for me whether it is white rice or brown rice...But mostly I use to eat brown rice...

I eat 1/2C white jasmine right PWO with 1/2lb of satee'd flank steak

You shouldn't really have any problems with the rice being chewy or seemingly uncooked if the rice is actually cooked (though some types of rice have that texture such as purple thai rice). Usually I saute some onion and peppers (using pam, or olive oil if I'm not dieting) and then mix that in when the rice is finished.
If you don't care about sodium then you could use chicken stock to cook the rice in which would give it more flavor.

Brown Rice 100%. I don't even touch white rice.

do you really think there is that much difference between white and brown. they are only a couple points on the gi scale away from each other. I am sad to see the jasmin rice thing, that is typically the only rice I eat. Damn, no wonder i am always fat!

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131