over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Deadlifting with no straps

AWN2004

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
How many of you guys do this? I have always warmed up with no straps until I got to a weight that warranted the use. After thinking about it for a bit, I was probably using the straps too early and decided to just do all my sets last night with no straps (if I could). I also changed my grip for the first time and adopted an over/under type of grip which made a huge difference. I felt a huge difference in my back and arms. I was just qurious how many guys do this? Any guys switch from straps to no straps and notice a big difference in development? I hope Sam Byrd sees this and chimes in as Im sure he would have some good insight on this.

i start using straps at anything over 400 and over 300 if im doing high reps

I personally find that my wrists (and therefore grip) is the limiting factor in my deadlift, so by using straps I am training my back to failure and not my forearms.

if u are doing it for pure strength, don't use straps cause it is not allowed in powerlifting meets

if u do this to work heavy deadlifts for ur bodybuilding goals, just use straps

I do use it when I go heavy, not for warm up

i never got into straps. ive never had a problem with my grip. but, if i can get greater size gains with them, then i may have to invest in some.

Good Point..

no straps = great forearm strength and grip!! i just use some chalk to keep the grip solid......

I don't use them

I don't find grip to be a problem. I use chalk and opposing grip. Bar selection is very important. I find the chromed bars are too slick and hard to lockin.By exagratting the position of the opposing hands my grip really locks in and I prefer this to straps. It is painful if I haven't been doing deads regularly, but never seems to affect performance during a set.

i never got into straps. ive never had a problem with my grip. but, if i can get greater size gains with them, then i may have to invest in some.

it will allow u to focus in ur back when deadlift and u se bigger weights, so yes it'll improve ur size

it will allow u to focus in ur back when deadlift and u se bigger weights, so yes it'll improve ur size

That's my view on things. I also find I am more prone to injury without using straps because I am so focused on not letting go of the weight to get the final reps in.

As a former competitive powerlifter I just can't bring myself to use straps when deadlifting. It just seems wrong, like not breaking parallel and calling it a squat.

As a former competitive powerlifter I just can't bring myself to use straps when deadlifting. It just seems wrong, like not breaking parallel and calling it a squat.

I agree.
I never use straps for deads, shrugs, chins, pulldowns, or anything else. I also never have to worry about working my forearms, or grip strength.

I'm not sure where straps became taboo in bodybuilding, but at some point it definitely did. Regardless, I use straps for most pulling movements during back day. My back has developed more AFTER using straps because I could stimulate more muscle fiber due to more weight being used. My wrists are fine, and my hands are fine as well... and I have no problem with forearm strength or grip on all other lifts.

Straps are fine, it's just a personal preference.

Nothing against straps, I use them for pull-ups, and rows. I just can't bring myself to use them on deads.

Heres how I look at it.

If you cant hold a certain wt long enuff to complete a set then use straps.

example

I cant hold 800 lbs for more then lets say 10 seconds, now if iam going for 15 reps theres no way in hell im going to get there in 10 seconds, straps are needed at this point to reach your maximum potential.

Heres how I look at it.

If you cant hold a certain wt long enuff to complete a set then use straps.

example

I cant hold 800 lbs for more then lets say 10 seconds, now if iam going for 15 reps theres no way in hell im going to get there in 10 seconds, straps are needed at this point to reach your maximum potential.

Thats a great way to look at it.

if your going for high rep training then you definately should use straps. if your powerlifting you shouldn't because it's not allowed in competion. i think both powerlifters and bodybuilders should wear straps for all upperback and trap work to reach your full strength potential.

use em only when my farearms are wasted...

i do all excersizes no matter what they are with NO straps then sometime into my workout (obviously usually on back day) my forearms usually reach failure and i then use straps to finish the workout.
so, basically i start with none and usually end up using them at some point in the workout. STEELE

oh, and i would recommend NOT using leather straps, i have ripped 2 pair and could have seriously injured myself or someone around me, anyone else have that problem???

Last edited:
I am alway's trying to improve my grip so I never use straps.

I kind of think of them like the leg warmers the girls used to wear in the 80's along with the leaLOL lol....

Hey Vander. I will mail you a $100.00 doller bill to see a vid of you deadlift 800lbs for 1 full pull. Not being a dick, I just want to see it.

Last edited:
Some people think straps are like cheating, when in actuality (if not a powerlifter) your just cheating yourself. If you want to build bigger forearms then work on your forearms. After i invested in straps my workload went up almost 100 lbs my first workout on deads. 150 for shrugs. And i can squeeze out so many more reps when doing pull-ups. I'm all for using straps and people look at me weird for using them. We'll see whos growing more in the end, and its definetly the guy using the straps

I finally broke down and started using straps for deads just last week. When doing reps with 400 pounds or more, my grip just can't hold on long enough.

Judging from the comments on this thread, it is an individual thing relating to grip strength. Obviously, if you are having trouble holding on, use straps so you can work the target muscle. IMO, pride has no place in the gym, use them if you need them.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Deecrume
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131