over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

FACT or MYTH- How much can you absorb?

B~RAD

Registered
Is it true you can only absorb so much protein in one sitting and anything on top of that ends up in the toilet?

Also, does it make any difference what the protein source is? i.e. protein powder vs whole foods and protein+carb meal vs protein+fats.

Ok, i hope i am not stealing this thread away by asking these questions.

For your athletic 25 year old male who has been training for several years. Is 1g of protein per lb of body weight (or aspiring body weight to be achieved) an accurate way to measure if one is taking enough protein? Is 1.5g a better number? When on a cycle some say going as high as 500g of protein ED is necessary. What is a good base to determine if you are getting enough protein into your body? How do you know if you are taking too much? Seems like vegetarians would have an immensely hard time achieving such a high protein count without continuously downing protein powders. Can you substitute some of your protein count for more amino acid rich carbohydrates and fats?

Hopefully you more experienced bodybuilders can answers some of these stating by what you have found works best for you. a few people in real life i've talked to say that protein is essential to building and maintaining muscle mass but such high numbers (300+)g of protein everyday do little more then hurt your kidneys in the long run. Granted these people are more wrestlers and boxers then bodybuilders.

ok

For your athletic 25 year old male who has been training for several years. Is 1g of protein per lb of body weight (or aspiring body weight to be achieved) an accurate way to measure if one is taking enough protein? Is 1.5g a better number? When on a cycle some say going as high as 500g of protein ED is necessary. What is a good base to determine if you are getting enough protein into your body? How do you know if you are taking too much? Seems like vegetarians would have an immensely hard time achieving such a high protein count without continuously downing protein powders. Can you substitute some of your protein count for more amino acid rich carbohydrates and fats?

Hopefully you more experienced bodybuilders can answers some of these stating by what you have found works best for you. a few people in real life i've talked to say that protein is essential to building and maintaining muscle mass but such high numbers (300+)g of protein everyday do little more then hurt your kidneys in the long run. Granted these people are more wrestlers and boxers then bodybuilders.

1. Show me the study where 300 grams of protein or more will hurt your kidneys........then I can help answer the rest.

Don't have a study. It is just hearsay. Most of the info i got on protein count is hearsay. Study's aren't always accurate and some contradict others. That is why i am asking it on this open bodybuilding forum. I'd read whatever article/study u can provide on this matter. Alot of people hold you in high regard on this forum PHIL. How bout you answer whatever other questions regardless, and hopefully this can turn into a discussion and maybe a few people would benefit from what you have to say on the matter (me included). If not i guess i'll have to shill out some cash so you take me on as a client to get some answers on general nutrition

Don't have a study. It is just hearsay. Most of the info i got on protein count is hearsay. Study's aren't always accurate and some contradict others. That is why i am asking it on this open bodybuilding forum. I'd read whatever article/study u can provide on this matter. Alot of people hold you in high regard on this forum PHIL. How bout you answer whatever other questions regardless, and hopefully this can turn into a discussion and maybe a few people would benefit from what you have to say on the matter (me included). If not i guess i'll have to shill out some cash so you take me on as a client to get some answers on general nutrition

Although I'd never speak for anyone else, I think Phil pretty much gave his take (albeit brief and broad) on those things from more than likely real world personal experience. What I'm saying is that when people mention this study or someone told me this, a professional with real life personal experience will politely remove themselves from engaging in the 'conversation' if they believe your mind's already made up. My .02. Stay well.

TGR

Last edited:
Nice

Although I'd never speak for anyone else, I think Phil pretty much gave his take (albeit brief and broad) on those things from more than likely real world personal experience. What I'm saying is that when people mention this study or someone told me this, a professional with real life personal experience will politely remove themselves from engaging in the 'conversation' if they believe your mind's already made up. My .02. Stay well.

TGR

Exactly.....when I hear "other people"..."people"......."they"..........or in this case "wrestlers and boxers"...or, "sheling out big bucks" ...... I exit stage left.

This nonsense came from tests that were done on people with preexisting kidney conditions... Don't listen to that stuff :)

Nephrocalcinosis. I saw a study done with rats. This condition was 'linked' to high protein ingestion.
Bunk.
Diet-induced nephrocalcinosis and urinary excretion of albumin in female rats

**broken link removed**

Are you referring to this study? Here is some research below you should see.

**broken link removed**

Diet-induced nephrocalcinosis and urinary excretion of albumin in female rats

**broken link removed**

Are you referring to this study? Here is some research below you should see.

**broken link removed**

Thank you logan for that, much appreciated...
From glazing over that (very quickly...I have a meal cooking!) it would seem that we're ALL FINE in our high protein diets.

TGR

In Phil's defense, those of us who have been around bodybuilding forever (at least it seems like forever) have heard so many ignorant people over the years spout this too-much-protein-will-kill-you crap, that the first mention of the topic tends to make us want to scream.

This idea began with a single study done decades ago on elderly invalids; and only a handful of them at that. And yet, so many so-called nutritionists to this day still say "research proves...". No; it does not.

Obviously, if a person's kidney function is compromised, they need to have it monitored, and if increased protein causes unhealthy stress, back-off on the amount ingested. But for most people, it simply isn't going to be a problem.

In Phil's defense, those of us who have been around bodybuilding forever (at least it seems like forever) have heard so many ignorant people over the years spout this too-much-protein-will-kill-you crap, that the first mention of the topic tends to make us want to scream.

Agreed 100%. I remember years ago arguing with my late mother on this exact subject. I'm sure my lifestyle seemed strange to her, but we get used to hearing that we're 'strange' and all that. Don't we? ;)

TGR

Agreed 100%. I remember years ago arguing with my late mother on this exact subject. I'm sure my lifestyle seemed strange to her, but we get used to hearing that we're 'strange' and all that. Don't we? ;)

TGR
Hey...I resemble that statement!:D

Phil, come back, come back........

I have a feeling Phil could really help us with this subject, if we keep our minds open and not let them be clouded by studies done on rats (or 80 year old women)- no offense to any 80 year old women BBer's reading this thread, LOL. :p

Phil, my question is this:

Refering to whole foods in this question- is there a difference in protein uptake/utilization in a protein/carb meal vs. protein/healthy fats meal (assuming the exact same protein source and amount is used in both meals)?

Would this answer change if this meal would be PWO as opposed to just another meal of the day?

:confused:

1. Show me the study where 300 grams of protein or more will hurt your kidneys........then I can help answer the rest.

There are actually no studies with humans showing this i have searced and searched and actually read an article saying there are no known human studies proving high protein intake in a healthy adult causes issues.

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear