over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Glutamine - how highly do you rate it?

IronMike

Moderator gone to a better place - R.I.P.
I know a lot of you guys use glutamine and I'm using up my supply now (I didn't pay for it though). Not to be a tight arse, but I just don't like spending money on stuff that doesn't work in this sport.

So how highly do most of you rate glutamine? Is it just something that makes a small difference and you use it cos it's available, is it a must have? Do you find noticeable benefits with it?

I've got to say, I can't really notice too many benefits. I use it post workout and sometimes in the mornings but I really can't be sure of any benefits exactly - haven't experimented enough and taken enough notice.

Thoughts?

IronMike

Great stuff

I sell sports supplements and its one of my best selling products. I use 20g first thing in the morning and 20g before bed. I can not beleive the feedback I am getting from natural bodybuilders that I sell Gluatmine to. Its right up there at the top of there shopping lists. One thing I have been told is not to mix it with whey as it competes with the gluatmine peptides in the whey and they cancel each other out

Big Bapper said:
I sell sports supplements and its one of my best selling products. I use 20g first thing in the morning and 20g before bed. I can not beleive the feedback I am getting from natural bodybuilders that I sell Gluatmine to. Its right up there at the top of there shopping lists. One thing I have been told is not to mix it with whey as it competes with the gluatmine peptides in the whey and they cancel each other out

So I should be taking it some time before, or after, a protein shake then? IronMike

Hi Iron Mike

Yes take it without meals that contain whey or Aminos..................... On a empty stomach is best. Thats why I go for first thing in the morning with my ECA and T4 go shower then have breakfast. I also take it with my ZMA before bed to help with GH relace.

I'm with you Iron Mike. I take it because everyone says take it but I'll damned if I see anything at all but then again maybe that's the point. You can't see muscle loss if it's not happening.

what i have found...

is that it greatly helps me with DOMS. workouts used to cripple me for up to 6-7 days post training, now it's usually 2-4.

also pre contest i have noticed that taking glutamine before morning cardio greatly halped me avoid atrophy i used to experience. usually for myself wehn doing 45 minutes of cardio twice a day, i'll notice my quad sweep lessen considerably. i dont know what else could be preventing it as glutamine was the only thing i added to my usual routine- intensity of cardio, supplements and diet were all the same.

for the money, i find it well worth the price, imo.

BFU

Glutamine is one of the few sports supplements I would actually use, most are a waste of money. I use 10g in the morning 10grams pre-workout 10grams post workout and 10 before bed, I notice a definite improvemnet in recovery from using it.

I use it for recovery, if you don't feel it's working for you try and raise the dosage. At first I thought it was a waste when I was using only 5 grams a day, then when I went over 20 grams a day it really started to help me out.

Glutamine

What you have to keep in mind here is that this is not a drug, it's a supplement. Simply an amino acid that will help preserve muscle and boost your immune system AND even help boost growth hormone levels.

Now, does this mean you're going to see dramatic increases in muscle and strength while taking this?? No.

The purpose of supplementing L-Glutamine is muscle preservation. And if taken properly, you will definitely prevent catabolism, especially during times of caloric depletion (getting ready for a show) and while you're sleeping (right before bed).

What I'd like to know from those of you who were dissatisfied with L-Glutamine is what you were expecting? I hope it wasn't great gains in muscle or strength, since that's not its purpose. But it is supposed to help you prevent muscle breakdown.

Now if you want to see dramatic results immediately, you should just take some type of creatine supplement. But there are other benefits that come with L-Glutamine that are less popular:

- It boosts your immune system. So for those of you supplementing with "other things" you might consider taking this while on to give your system a boost to prevent fatigue and illness.

- It helps with ulcers

- It MAINTAINS cell hydration. (notice, maintains, not boosts, like creatine). This is good for when you're dieting for a show and dropping water / salt.

- It is LINKED to protein synthesis, but the same can be said about any amino acid, which is the building blocks of protien.

Also, there are better versions of glutamine out there that may digest better than regular L-Glutamine peptides, so you have options. I reccomend the fermented L-Glutamine which is flavorless and goes down easier than the rancid peptides which are cheaper, and have an off white curious color since they are bonded to other substances.

I think Glutamine should be a staple and used sensibly, it's only going to cost you about a $1 a day, which is well worth it.

Last edited:
What if you take a good protein powder do you really see a need for extra glutamine.

Control / Timing

healthfreak79 said:
What if you take a good protein powder do you really see a need for extra glutamine.

There's no need for it, the same way you don't need to suplement with creatine as it's found in beef. But supplementing with L-Glutamine only allows you to control both the amount and timing so you can use it better.

If you wanted roughly 20 grams of glutamine from a protein powder you'd need to consume 80 grams of protein in one shot, as whey contains anywhere from 3.5 - 4.5 grams per 20 gram serving.

I prefer controlling that amount through a fermented L-Glutamine product.

If you are getting enough protein - you don't need glutamine. I think you see the benefits if you mega-dose (40-50 grams/day as mentioned earlier in this thread) and do it for a long time. At that level - it doesn't have the "value" in my view.

Str8flexed posted some good studies on AnabolicMinds as to why you really shouldn't take glutamine (unless you get it for free of course) - I'll see if I can find 'em and post 'em over here.

Glutamine taken on an empty stomach is also suppose to be good for "gut health."

Mix with water. Try to glutamine powder does not tast that bad. The micronized virsion is a bit harder to get down.

I think it's good for immunity and gut health, that's pretty much it. In fact BCAAs are better for preserving glutamine levels. I'd put my money on BCAAs first as the Leucine is "anabolic" too. Very little oral glutamine even survives the gut. I have tried L-Glutamine at up to 100 grams a day and it did nothing as far as I could tell, no reduced DOMS etc.

I use it first thing in the am with taurine, NAC, yohimbe hcl, mixed with water and a small amount of crystal light. I really like it post workout mixed with 3-5g of taurine and some simple carbs, it helps with volumization.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
astar
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131