over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Growing on keto

Lou

Registered
Ive heard different opinions on this. Do you think you can grow on a keto diet? I personally think that if you are an endo it might work, but there are more experienced guys here on keto diets (like Magnum) that can give a better answer. Bring it on guys. :eek:

I would say I have even on a precontest diet I feel like I have been growing on a keto type of diet...So I'd say yeah, if everything else is right (rest, training, stress) then I think you can grow in it..but I do believe if you add in carbs at the right times (morning/post workout) then I believe the grow rate would be even better

I agree about the carb timing being important during a keto style diet if you are wanting to add some quality mass.

I am currently on a keto diet 11 days out from show. I have definitely grown while dieting. body weight has pretty much stayed the same(220's) and have gone from 13% to 4%. all measurements the same if not improved. I will be using this exact same diet during my offseason this year with carbs pre and post. I feel this has been the best diet for my body type.

I am currently on a keto diet 11 days out from show. I have definitely grown while dieting. body weight has pretty much stayed the same(220's) and have gone from 13% to 4%. all measurements the same if not improved. I will be using this exact same diet during my offseason this year with carbs pre and post. I feel this has been the best diet for my body type.

That is one hell of a transformation man!
Please share some pictures with us.
Thats awesome!

Not sure if you really are asking the right question. Even on a zero carb diet you will not always be in ketosis. You don't have to be in ketosis to lose body fat and I'm never concerned whether someone is or not while working with them.

So let's ask, can someone build muscle while not consuming any carbs. The answer is most definitely with out a doubt 100% YES! end of story mystery solved.

Think of it this way. If humans can live without eating carbs then they have to be building muscle or they would die.

Not sure if you really are asking the right question. Even on a zero carb diet you will not always be in ketosis. You don't have to be in ketosis to lose body fat and I'm never concerned whether someone is or not while working with them.

So let's ask, can someone build muscle while not consuming any carbs. The answer is most definitely with out a doubt 100% YES! end of story mystery solved.

Think of it this way. If humans can live without eating carbs then they have to be building muscle or they would die.

Ok so the next question would be........how would someone go about doing this and does ur training have to be any different on this type of diet since your not taking in as many carbs as most ppl do.

I have a pretty good idea myself, but im sure there are plenty others who would like to know.

Last edited:

If that's true, then what would our bodies use as energy? I suppose that excess protein could convert to glucose which our bodies could use but wouldn't that amount of glucose be too little for energy? I would think so.

If that's true, then what would our bodies use as energy? I suppose that excess protein could convert to glucose which our bodies could use but wouldn't that amount of glucose be too little for energy? I would think so.

your body would use the fat you consume as energy and well as some protein. I much prefer a high protein mod fat and low carb approach.

The food you eat. You are over complicating things.

And what about macro distribution? I mean, i think it would be better a high fat approach (aka. Bodyopus or Anabolic diet) than a mod fat (aka. Palumbo). Some say that if you are consuming high protein, this protein can convert easily to glucose, while if you are doing a high fat (70% fat 30% pro) you will use exclusively fats as fuel with little gluconeogenesis.

I agree about the carb timing being important during a keto style diet if you are wanting to add some quality mass.

there arent carbs in keto diets ,none, zero ,nada....except the re-feed meal once a week. I honestly think is crap unless youre heavily juiced up. Yes, it will get you lean but say goodbye to a lot of muscle aswell.

there arent carbs in keto diets ,none, zero ,nada....except the re-feed meal once a week. I honestly think is crap unless youre heavily juiced up. Yes, it will get you lean but say goodbye to a lot of muscle aswell.

I've trained plenty of naturals on this type of diet and not only got lean they kept their size and I have had a few gain some mass during the process.

Actually gluconeogenesis will occur in ketosis, so unless your not consuming enough calories (which is bad) your body will do what it needs to do to make what it needs. It just takes more energy to do so. You can bulk in ketosis and cut as well.

It´s not that hard... just add some whole eggs, evoo to shakes, more nuts... just more food, don´t overtrain and focus on strenght without to much volume

I would say I have even on a precontest diet I feel like I have been growing on a keto type of diet...So I'd say yeah, if everything else is right (rest, training, stress) then I think you can grow in it..but I do believe if you add in carbs at the right times (morning/post workout) then I believe the grow rate would be even better

According to your log you are training high volume on a high fat low carb diet and making good gains arent you?

Im sure you can however i dont think a total keto approach would be best IMO.

Like chris said keto diet with timed carbs around training and maybe a refeed day once a week would work best.

I also found when doing a keto diet my cholesterol went sky high they are definatly not for me and i think people do them to lightly without taking the proper health precautions/checks.

my total cholesterol went to 9.6 when average according to the doctor is 4.5, i switched over to carb cycling and this droped back within 6 weeks.

my total cholesterol went to 9.6 when average according to the doctor is 4.5, i switched over to carb cycling and this droped back within 6 weeks.
I think your numbers are off..Anything under 200 for total cholestrol is good..I really don't think it's possible to get down to 9.6 neverless then 4.5..You need a different Doctor.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws