over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

How do you do your bent over rows?

HELLA SWOLE

Registered
I am curious as to how you all perform your bent over rows. Do you do them Dorian yates style at ~45 degree angle with heavy weights and kinda jerky, or do you perform them more like arnold did, closer to a 90degree angle with lighter weight in a slower controlled motion? Also, do you use overhand or underhand grip? And at what width do you grip the bar? I am interested to hear your methods, as I am torn on the best way to perform my rows. Thanks in advance

I was just wondering the other day if I was doing them correctly.

I do about 45 degree but slow and in controle with overhand grip little wider than my shoulders.

CROWLER

vary it

i change it all up. sometimes undergrip, sometimes over hand, sometimes i get a little jerky and use heavier weight, sometimes smoother, most of the time i put one end of the bar in the corner with a db on the end and use a v-bar, but i switch to bb as well. dont get stuck in a rut using the same exercise because it's "best".

I usualy do all variations as well. Does anyone here do rows as John Smith describes? For those who don't know what I'm talking about, here is his description.

Rows: Well, the best way to do them is to start with the bar on the floor every single rep. Your middle back will have slight bend to it. You pull the bar off the floor quickly with the arms, and by a powerful arch of your middle back. You finish by touching the bar to your upper stomach or middle stomach. At no time is there any movement of the hips or knees, no hip extension at all, all that bends is the middle back and the shoulders and elbows.

This is hard to do and you have to have good muscular control to do it, or you'll end up straightening up at the hips along with the arching of the back. But if you can master doing them this way you will get a big back. This works because the lats actually extend (arch) the middle back in addition to other functions, just like with glute-ham extensions compared to leg curls…you always get a stronger contraction when you move both the origin and insertion of a muscle, flexing it from both ends so to speak.

The bar returns to the floor after each rep. The bent row is actually best done as an explosive movement and the bar is moved fast. I have trained many people who could do this exercise with 350 or more lbs. I myself have done reps with 425, Ed Coan, who also knows how to do them properly, has done reps with over 500lbs without his back ever coming above parallel with the ground. That is stronger than Dorian Yates or Ronnie Coleman, by the way.

I did rows with Coleman once, actually, and I was far stronger than he was. He could not do more than 350lbs strictly although he could do over 500lbs by standing almost all the way up at the completion of each rep. Ed Coan is probably the strongest person on these, although one power-lifter I trained did manage 525 for a double done strictly.

Look at an anatomy chart. if the scapula and upper arms are held in a constant position, shortening of the lats WILL result in arching of the middle and upper back. i AM NOT saying that the lats are primarily responsible for upper back flexion... what i am saying is that they can assist in this.

I also HAVE done EMG work on various different rowing techniques... and there is not doubt that rows performed as i describe them will activate the lats more completely than done any other way i have ever seen. i have done EMG work on a large quantity of people for rows... and ive always found that these kind of rows activate the lats most completely. and besides, even if you dont buy the fact that they activate the lats better, hell, you can always be content with the fact that your getting an erector workout.

Rex Feral said:
I usualy do all variations as well. Does anyone here do rows as John Smith describes? For those who don't know what I'm talking about, here is his description.

Rows: Well, the best way to do them is to start with the bar on the floor every single rep. Your middle back will have slight bend to it. You pull the bar off the floor quickly with the arms, and by a powerful arch of your middle back. You finish by touching the bar to your upper stomach or middle stomach. At no time is there any movement of the hips or knees, no hip extension at all, all that bends is the middle back and the shoulders and elbows.

This is hard to do and you have to have good muscular control to do it, or you'll end up straightening up at the hips along with the arching of the back. But if you can master doing them this way you will get a big back. This works because the lats actually extend (arch) the middle back in addition to other functions, just like with glute-ham extensions compared to leg curls…you always get a stronger contraction when you move both the origin and insertion of a muscle, flexing it from both ends so to speak.

The bar returns to the floor after each rep. The bent row is actually best done as an explosive movement and the bar is moved fast. I have trained many people who could do this exercise with 350 or more lbs. I myself have done reps with 425, Ed Coan, who also knows how to do them properly, has done reps with over 500lbs without his back ever coming above parallel with the ground. That is stronger than Dorian Yates or Ronnie Coleman, by the way.

I did rows with Coleman once, actually, and I was far stronger than he was. He could not do more than 350lbs strictly although he could do over 500lbs by standing almost all the way up at the completion of each rep. Ed Coan is probably the strongest person on these, although one power-lifter I trained did manage 525 for a double done strictly.

Look at an anatomy chart. if the scapula and upper arms are held in a constant position, shortening of the lats WILL result in arching of the middle and upper back. i AM NOT saying that the lats are primarily responsible for upper back flexion... what i am saying is that they can assist in this.

I also HAVE done EMG work on various different rowing techniques... and there is not doubt that rows performed as i describe them will activate the lats more completely than done any other way i have ever seen. i have done EMG work on a large quantity of people for rows... and ive always found that these kind of rows activate the lats most completely. and besides, even if you dont buy the fact that they activate the lats better, hell, you can always be content with the fact that your getting an erector workout.

I’m surprised that the amount of the weight trainers who never clearly define whether they are a bodybuilder or a strength trainer. If you define yourself as a bodybuilder desiring to achieve maximum muscle growth, then you should rarely find yourself with trying to Row 400 lbs. or 500 lbs. You should be more concerned with the quality of the set and taxing the target muscle groups so you can achieve maximum muscle growth. How much weight you are lifting at the gym is where you can define yourself as a strength athlete or bodybuilder. In conclusion, define for you which of the two you are to be and stick to your program so you can achieve your objective in the shortest time possible.

I was told that a narrow grip or underhand grip with the bar to the stomach is better for the lats an a wider grip an bar to the lower chest is better for the middle back an rear shoulders.

KTT

Last edited:
I bend over, pick up the barbell, and row it. Pretty simple, eh?

PB

I do mine on a box from a power rack for maximum strectch...Sets of 6-8 no straps...There's no reason why some can't hold on 2 that little bit of a weight..Heavy scruggs maybe straps..I don't use straps..Straps don't help with your grip....It's like the sissy's who use a pad on the bar when they squat....What a bunch a fucking sissy's...

Oh...I usually do them bent over...how about you guys....

KTT said:
I’m surprised that the amount of the weight trainers who never clearly define whether they are a bodybuilder or a strength trainer. If you define yourself as a bodybuilder desiring to achieve maximum muscle growth, then you should rarely find yourself with trying to Row 400 lbs. or 500 lbs. You should be more concerned with the quality of the set and taxing the target muscle groups so you can achieve maximum muscle growth. How much weight you are lifting at the gym is where you can define yourself as a strength athlete or bodybuilder. In conclusion, define for you which of the two you are to be and stick to your program so you can achieve your objective in the shortest time possible.

I was told that a narrow grip or underhand grip with the bar to the stomach is better for the lats an a wider grip an bar to the lower chest is better for the middle back an rear shoulders.

KTT

I dont think any kind of rows wether it be t-bar ,cable row ,bb row,db is the purpose to hit the Latissimus dorsi.

Its more of a romboid Upper traps,lower traps ,lower back Thickness exercise.

For hitting the lats i think any kind of Chin/ pulldown will target it.

But thats my Opinion,im wondering what other people think.

BigMatt said:
I dont think any kind of rows wether it be t-bar ,cable row ,bb row,db is the purpose to hit the Latissimus dorsi.

Are you being serious??? So you're saying that the lats are not a primary mover in rowing movements? Just want to make sure I have this right before I point out the complete foolishness in that assertion. ;)

Rex.

Last edited:
Rex, those rows are also called Pendlay rows, right? I have been doing them that way recently after reading about them.

overhand, closer to Yates style....but as controlled as possible.

BW

I do them Dorian style with an overhand grip since the underhand seems to aggravate my left shoulder. I do these every week with good results. I'm very strong on these but It's a moot point. I've done 495 for 6 good ones yet my back is NO WHERE near Dorians' back-lol-Just happens I have good leverages for the movement. the same leverages kill me in the bench press. I like to use wraps, having my partner strip plates for drop-sets. BTW I've done the superstrict 90 degree method but I don't get near the results as when i move some slage iron. I use it as a thickness movement along with top-deads with weighted chins for width, alternating wide grip(nothing exagerated) and using a v-bar every other week. Most gyms have thrown them out but that Nautilus pull-over machine was awesome, best lat move for me-OK, I feel old now....

Paul Bunyan said:
I bend over, pick up the barbell, and row it. Pretty simple, eh?

PB

Now why didn't WE think of that? :D

I had asked Milos ( over on his board ) about the " Dorian style " trend in rowing which has been evolving over the past several years.

I have always done them Old School, off a block at a 90' angle using over and under hand grips. I wondered why younger fellows pull to the 45' and Milos basically said there are several variations so do what ever works. He then wrote about Alex Federoff ( sp?) being at his gym and doing his bar rowing below parallel.

I guess we should mix it up and keep the lats guessing.

Rex, you mentioned Ronnie rowing with 350lbs yet Kamalli and many guys clain 500+ rowing and I read Nasser was up 500+. Are those claims ( in your opinion ) B.S.?

Also, what do members think of rowing with a deadlift grip? I tried it a while back and never stuck with it long enough to draw a conclusion.

Boo.

Last edited:
I have done mine both ways. I like variety and it seems sticking with one angle and grip gets stale over time. I like my back to keep guessing and growing.

I prefer single-arm dumbell rows personally and T-bar rows. Anyone think I'm missing out by doing these instead of simple bent over rows? I just always feel the T-bars more than the bent over.

hey./...

actualy all types of rows thicken the back. from all angles. pulldowns/chins stretch the scapula and widen the back. take cutler for example, he cut out most of the pulldowns and added more types of rows to go toe 2 toe w ronnie w back thickness cause he was told he has enough width but neede to be thicker. he did that and this year was indeed thicker w the same width. so yes rows do work the lats but wont widen your back.

lucian said:
actualy all types of rows thicken the back. from all angles. pulldowns/chins stretch the scapula and widen the back. take cutler for example, he cut out most of the pulldowns and added more types of rows to go toe 2 toe w ronnie w back thickness cause he was told he has enough width but neede to be thicker. he did that and this year was indeed thicker w the same width. so yes rows do work the lats but wont widen your back.

Thats what i meant

Heavy Bent Rows

When I am not performing deadlifts, say every other week I and my training partners- BIGKIWI and Fat Albert(also a member here), we do our Bent BB rows as follows.

*Bend the knees slightly but try to keep them at the same angle with each rep ie do not pump your legs.
* Grip should be a medium grip and only use lifting straps when using a shittly slippery old BB that alot of gyms have. And only when u have to say over 160-180kg.
* Row the bar down as far as you kan without having to bend back 2 much i would say optimal back andgle is about 30 degrees. Then pull the bar up hard all the way in2 stomach and try to squezze.

*Plain and simple dont cheat but also dont use light weights as a excuse. A little cheating helps to force the muscle to grow.

We work up2 220kg(460pnds plus). Usually do 60kg x 20 reps, 100kg x 10 reps, 140kg x 8-10 reps, 180kg x 8 reps, 220 x 6-8 reps.

We try to do them deep and strict. Halfway down your shins is a good stretch.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Michael_
NapsGear