advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

How heavy are you curling on a regular basis?

Started reading this thread on the treadmill this morning. All this talk of those 60s inspired me. I got 5 with my dominant right and barely 3 with my left. First two were good form.. Got sloppier shortly after.
Ain't doing that again.

100%. I can curl 60’s with decent form for 8-12 reps but I grow better from huge pumps doing supersets with 1/3 that weight
Absolutely and your elbows prolly thank you

Reactions: D2
Can someone explain in a non scientific way..for biceps..

Difference between supination and non supination at the bottom of db curls...

Difference between arms by side, arms behind you (incline curls) and arms in front ( preacher).

Or link to a good video. I'm sure there are tons of them but they all probably say different things and contradict one another and get all technical.

1) supinating at the bottom of the curl means the bicep contracts throughout the movement

1) supinating at the bottom of the curl means the bicep contracts throughout the movement
Meant to post this:

1) Keeping your hands supinated at the bottom of the curl means there’s tension on the biceps throughout the movement, even between reps. Pros: increased TUT Cons: increased risk of injuring bicep. Think of people tearing a bicep when DLing with a mixed grip

2: the short or inner head of the bicep contributes to forward flexion of your arm, aka raising it up in front of you. keeping your arms in line or behind your body as you curl will involve the outer head of the bicep more. Keeping your arm in front of you will recruit the inner head as well

The twist of the curl up towards the chin at the top of each rep.

I now do only armwrestling specific exercises, as it relates to biceps. That means no more full range curls, but only static holds and/or a very short range of motion at angles designed to mimic what happens on an armwrestling table. Below (see link) is an example of static backpressure pressure, which is basically just a static curl. On this exercise I am currently doing 95 x 10 with my left arm and 85 x 10 with my right arm (due to nagging tendonitis). I hope to improve that number greatly over this next year, as I just recently started training again after nearly 2 years off and having lost 70 lbs of bodyweight. I have regained about 25 lbs since I began training again, but am now focusing on improving armwrestling, rather than just adding overall muscle mass. Therefore, all of my training is centered around what we do on the table. For the most part, its almost entirely based on training certain functions, rather than targeting individual muscles. Functions such as wrist flexion, pronation, supination, rising, chopping, backpressure, side pressure, fingers, etc., make up a huge portion of my training. I do like 20 exercises targeting the various functions in my hand-forearm alone. It's a completely different form of training compared to bodybuilding. It's highly sport-specific, specialized training. Now that I am only a few years away from turning 50, it's not too healthy to be weighing 270 lbs anymore, so I will likely cap my bodyweight at 225 lbs. That's perfect for my structure in armwrestling.

Example:

Meant to post this:

1) Keeping your hands supinated at the bottom of the curl means there’s tension on the biceps throughout the movement, even between reps. Pros: increased TUT Cons: increased risk of injuring bicep. Think of people tearing a bicep when DLing with a mixed grip

2: the short or inner head of the bicep contributes to forward flexion of your arm, aka raising it up in front of you. keeping your arms in line or behind your body as you curl will involve the outer head of the bicep more. Keeping your arm in front of you will recruit the inner head as well
Thank you good information!

I think I'm actually strong on curls for my size. I usually sit at a lean 210 for the last year or so and work up to 155 lbs ez bar curls for 6. Then I back it off and do two lighter sets super slow. I also like to do one or two cheat curls at the end sometimes with a slow negative. I have to be careful with those or it irritates my tondonitis. I remember years ago doing hammer curls with 99s but was heavier then. Could be because when I was a kid all I had was dumbbells and worked only arms for the first few years lol. Even at 150lbs I could curl 50s easily. Could be genetics too. My dad was a steal worker and made a 50 and a68 lbs dumbbell at work. He didn't work out much but was always big and could curl both. Wish had genes for a big bench instead .lol unfortunately I don't.

It's already been said several times but there is absolutely no reason, nor need to ever curl heavy.

The chances of it being counterproductive (both the injury risk and/or the lack of results) are way too big.

In fact it seems to be a common theme: the people I've seen curl heavy weights have shitty biceps as well. But that goes for a lot of muscle groups so...

I now do only armwrestling specific exercises, as it relates to biceps. That means no more full range curls, but only static holds and/or a very short range of motion at angles designed to mimic what happens on an armwrestling table. Below (see link) is an example of static backpressure pressure, which is basically just a static curl. On this exercise I am currently doing 95 x 10 with my left arm and 85 x 10 with my right arm (due to nagging tendonitis). I hope to improve that number greatly over this next year, as I just recently started training again after nearly 2 years off and having lost 70 lbs of bodyweight. I have regained about 25 lbs since I began training again, but am now focusing on improving armwrestling, rather than just adding overall muscle mass. Therefore, all of my training is centered around what we do on the table. For the most part, its almost entirely based on training certain functions, rather than targeting individual muscles. Functions such as wrist flexion, pronation, supination, rising, chopping, backpressure, side pressure, fingers, etc., make up a huge portion of my training. I do like 20 exercises targeting the various functions in my hand-forearm alone. It's a completely different form of training compared to bodybuilding. It's highly sport-specific, specialized training. Now that I am only a few years away from turning 50, it's not too healthy to be weighing 270 lbs anymore, so I will likely cap my bodyweight at 225 lbs. That's perfect for my structure in armwrestling.

Example:
I don’t arm wrestle but at 43 I’m a lil over 280 and the plan is to go back to MW/LHW for health and I miss running after 20 years of step mill only. Like many I said I’d be a monster til who knows when and then kids come/40s hit and reality knocks…..

I train bis after back.. so they are already a bit fatigued.. I literally just grab a 35 dumbell and do slow reps to failure on a spider bench.. two sets ... the use the same dumbell and do 2 sets of hammer curls on the same bench. The reps depend on how slow I go. Sometimes I hit failure at 13 reps. Sometimes 10 if I do a 3 or 4 second negative and hold the contractions etc..
Back involves so much of the biceps. I have switched 2 sets of machine preachers for strict 10 reps followed by 12-16 reps per set with 20-30 lb dumbells after my back workout for three focused/strict sets and my biceps have never looked fuller and leaner.

Back involves so much of the biceps. I have switched 2 sets of machine preachers for strict 10 reps followed by 12-16 reps per set with 20-30 lb dumbells after my back workout for three focused/strict sets and my biceps have never looked fuller and leaner.
Same here but I do enjoy a bicep day every few weeks for fun.

I don't see the point in seeing how heavy you can curl. Unless you are competing in the barbell curling olympics.

Never curled more than 45lb dumbbells or 100 pound ez curl bars. Never had to to get bigger arms. But idk, maybe I'd be stronger if I did.
(My arms are pretty awesome hehe)

G
Never curled more than 45lb dumbbells or 100 pound ez curl bars. Never had to to get bigger arms. But idk, maybe I'd be stronger if I did.
(My arms are pretty awesome hehe)
genetics are huge I have big ass arms but I have to pound my biceps and my tris stay massive even if I don’t train them for weeks I do believe HEAVY on the elbows never results in much more if any growth but it always tears the body up.

Last summer I was training my max ez bar strict curl (before doing hypertrophy work), and actually had great results with bringing my arms up, my strict curl got up to around 200 pounds. But I started getting pulling feeling in my muscle like it was ready to tear so I stopped around the time I ended my cycle.

Yea strict curl gives great pumps and growth but like the bench for the pec tear so goes the strict curl for the bicep

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws