over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Levrone talks about “pumping” vs heavy

rAJJIN

Moderator / FOUNDING Member
Staff member
Registered
What’s your opinion on this.
My thinking has always been the same as Levrone. If a guy can lift heavier and more reps I’d bet he is the better of the two.
Or is it a now days Morse insulin ,carbs, muscle pumps and reps.

watching this years Olympia winner I’m thinking it’s still the guy moving big weight that wins.

Great comments on Ronnie. When that famous first Ronnie Coleman video came out I was working out at Levrone's world gym. He would watch that video every night while doing cardio, lol. Levrone at his best periodized his training and did both light and heavy... Because of his early pec tear he was neurotic about smart progressions and strict form. Of course light day wasn't really light. His training bud G just used more of a repping weight with the compound move and you supersetted it with no rest with another move, then got a little rest.

When he prepped for that grand prix where he looked insane he was also trying different core and isometric stuff. Of course a running joke in MD is that all the old trainers take credit for training Kevin and showing him some secret technique.

When he did his last comeback at exile he trained with powerlifters and really only did the heavy stuff which is part of the reason he may was thick but not ripped.

My thinking has always been the same as Levrone. If a guy can lift heavier and more reps I’d bet he is the better of the two.

watching this years Olympia winner I’m thinking it’s still the guy moving big weight that wins.
Agreed.
Everybody wants to be a bodybuilder, but don't nobody want to lift no heavy-ass weights

Weight is king when its loaded properly on the muscles

But how that load is distributed has much to do with our anatomical structure, # of years spent training that pathway, and the movements we choose. The mileage on your chassis will also be a determining factor in how much you can proceed down this road

There are some guys that it just clicks faster than others; has a lot of parallels with something like natural athleticism

P.S- Certain muscle groups like calves and arms are better spent training with higher reps and emphasizing the stretch

I thought this was a very good interview having to do with Ronnie.

One day last summer I was on a long hike in Yosemite and I listened to an interview
with Ronnie. Hands down, by far (I listened too it twice that day), the best interview
with Ronnie or any other bodybuilder I have ever heard. Incredibly detailed. He
shared his dreams and asperations and the realities of the sport at his level and how
much he just loved it. What an interesting life he has had.

And if he said it once he said it a hundred times . . . he said he was incredibly,
incredibly gifted genetically. And he had the drive, the discipline, and the work ethic
to capitalize it.

For the life of me I can't remember where I heard the interview. It was a podcast
I think because it was on my iPod. I should have saved it, it was that good. I will
poke around and see if I can find it. Definitely worth the time to listen to IMHO.

I wish his all the best moving forward with what he is dealing with physically. His
attitude through all this is amazing. How he keeps his spirits up I would love to
know what part of his brain he taps into to keep going and not give up. A great
attitude is an understatement to say the least.

the levrone comeback videos where he went from normal back to stage shape, i think it was only a few workouts in and he was already leg pressing 12-14 plates a side.
which aint weak by any means and he did it within a month of getting back in the gym. less than a month

Kevin was pretty damn strong, too. A few of those guys were, Cormier, El Sonbaty, etc. Guys with awesome physiques - think Wheeler and Heath - seem to have a 'softer' quality, a different look, and it seems to be common among guys who are gifted and don't really train that hard.

I thought this was a very good interview having to do with Ronnie.

One day last summer I was on a long hike in Yosemite and I listened to an interview
with Ronnie. Hands down, by far (I listened too it twice that day), the best interview
with Ronnie or any other bodybuilder I have ever heard. Incredibly detailed. He
shared his dreams and asperations and the realities of the sport at his level and how
much he just loved it. What an interesting life he has had.

And if he said it once he said it a hundred times . . . he said he was incredibly,
incredibly gifted genetically. And he had the drive, the discipline, and the work ethic
to capitalize it.

For the life of me I can't remember where I heard the interview. It was a podcast
I think because it was on my iPod. I should have saved it, it was that good. I will
poke around and see if I can find it. Definitely worth the time to listen to IMHO.

I wish his all the best moving forward with what he is dealing with physically. His
attitude through all this is amazing. How he keeps his spirits up I would love to
know what part of his brain he taps into to keep going and not give up. A great
attitude is an understatement to say the least.

Found the podcast with Ronnie. I listened to it as a podcast but could not find it
but it's available on utube.

Like I said, it is worth a listen IMHO. Very very insightful.

History shows people who lift heavy weight have a different look. Dorian, Ronnie, branch warren, johnnie Jackson, Dallas mccarver, even the new got nick walker. Kid is leaps and bounds ahead of a lot of people.

History shows people who lift heavy weight have a different look. Dorian, Ronnie, branch warren, johnnie Jackson, Dallas mccarver, even the new got nick walker. Kid is leaps and bounds ahead of a lot of people.
I think size is definitely built by getting stronger but I don’t think muscle gets a certain look by how you lift. Muscle grows, shrinks, or stays the same that’s it. I believe they’d have the same look at that size regardless of how they lifted if the tissue was the same. In order to get big everyone lifts heavy some lift with more volume, intensity, etc. there’s many roads to the same destination

Found the podcast with Ronnie. I listened to it as a podcast but could not find it
but it's available on utube.

Like I said, it is worth a listen IMHO. Very very insightful.

You really liked that podcast? I thought it was terrible and Ronnie came across as an idiot in parts. It's been posted on here in the past and I don't think I am alone in my views. I think Ronnie is a great guy and I admire his dedication/passion but that interview was painful to watch at times. I probably watch a bb podcast every single day and I dislike next to none but that podcast wasn't great. All of Ronnie's interviews are the same and I have seen them all so that came into it but watching him talk about body fat and his injuries etc considering he is the best bodybuilder of all time was bizarre. It's very rare Joe Rogan doesn't do a great podcast and I have probably seen about 100 of them and they can be fantastic. I especially like a lot of the ex mafia ones he has done.

You really liked that podcast? I thought it was terrible and Ronnie came across as an idiot in parts. It's been posted on here in the past and I don't think I am alone in my views. I think Ronnie is a great guy and I admire his dedication/passion but that interview was painful to watch at times. I probably watch a bb podcast every single day and I dislike next to none but that podcast wasn't great. All of Ronnie's interviews are the same and I have seen them all so that came into it but watching him talk about body fat and his injuries etc considering he is the best bodybuilder of all time was bizarre. It's very rare Joe Rogan doesn't do a great podcast and I have probably seen about 100 of them and they can be fantastic. I especially like a lot of the ex mafia ones he has done.
I’m a fan of Ronnie but never could sit through one of his interviews. I loved The King documentary I even teared up a little while watching it.

Check out a recent JRE w Matthew Mcconaughey. One of the best actors of our era and a fantastic 'feel good' interview in strange and scary times. Found it to be a fantastic listen.

I’m a fan of Ronnie but never could sit through one of his interviews. I loved The King documentary I even teared up a little while watching it.

I am the same now. I don't like to be negative but he isn't very bright (I know he has a degree) and he isn't very interesting especially considering everything he has achieved in his life. Although he is such a likeable guy in the sense just look at him and he just keeps on going and he is always positive so I admire his character and we could all learn a lot from it. I enjoyed the King documentary but it was sad to see. I am all for training with injuries and just keep going but sometimes you want him to just stop before he is permanently disabled. He is the greatest bodybuilder of all time and I have a lot of respect for him but his interviews are never good. Every interview he comes out with the same story again and again. I have seen him talk about Kevin Levrone about 20 times and he is guarded about everything else. Many of the 90's bodybuilders have some cool stories about their tours of Europe but he has 1 story he tells over and over. I understand bb's do interviews with many different outlets so they will be repeating stories all the time but he has been doing it for 10 years.

Check out a recent JRE w Matthew Mcconaughey. One of the best actors of our era and a fantastic 'feel good' interview in strange and scary times. Found it to be a fantastic listen.

Thanks for the suggestion. I read somewhere it was great and one of the best he has done but forgot about it. I will put it on now.

I must have been brought up differently . . . if I don't have something nice to say
about somebody, I don't say anything at all.

I completely agree as well. Obviously everyone has different strengths levels and I don't think everyone has to squat 800 or deadlift 800 to have an Olympia level physique but they definitely have to lift hard and heavy. The guys with the most dense muscle always lift heavy weights. Although I think the crazy heavy stuff usually goes against most in the long and even short run. I refer to crazy heavy though. Now the 3-4pps presses and the 4-6pps squats I consider heavy and needed for most to get the most out of their physique. Everyone serious about bodybuilding should be trying to progressively get stronger with great execution and there is only so much "pumping" workouts can do. I believe in heavy but high reps as well.

There is a misconception that guys in the 90's trained harder which is total nonsense. Nearly everyone on the Olympia stage is pushing some heavy weight week in week out. Even the shape guys who lift much less such as Dexter and Rhoden still push heavy weight at times. When Dexter was trying to grow his legs in the last few years he was lifting heavy weights just not every workout. Genetic limitations will always rule though. Ian Valliere looks amazing but one of his weakest body parts is his chest and he is probably the strongest presser on the O stage and even surpasses Ronnie in pressing strength. In that event sometimes guys have to think outside of the box to improve and it's not just about lifting heavier weight. Even in my training I have improved certain body parts by actually lifting lighter but trying to improve execution.

Both Ronnie and Kevin trained like animals so it's always great watching their old training videos.

I must have been brought up differently . . . if I don't have something nice to say
about somebody, I don't say anything at all.

That's a nice approach but I prefer just to be completely honest. Ronnie doesn't deserve any hate because he seems like a nice person but I am just commenting how I see things. I am just discussing his interviews and I am not going to pretend I like them. Honestly I am super nice to everyone I meet. But we can't all just be nice all the time and sometimes it's good to be honest (this thread isn't a example of that though so I shouldn't have stated he wasn't bright). Although in other times people need to be talked badly to so they can be made aware of things. Sometimes guys just need to know the truth but sure no one should be hateful. If Ronnie was my mate and he asked me how did that interview go I would tell him the truth (he sounded like an idiot in parts) and the first thing I would do is tell him he wasn't 0.3% body fat.

"It is not the strongest of the species that survives/prevails, nor the most intelligent, but the most adaptable to change," I think we can invoke some darwin here although I will say this - the person who studies and implements ammo from every technique and angle, taken as a grain of salt, will fashion a new edge of skill sets for their athletic sword then they will have the advantage, rather than the one who is cookie-cutter exclusive to one or two techniques. Have you heard Nasser talk? He wasn't just big he was bright as fuck. More ammo for your arsenal. also everyone responds differently to different exercises and stimulus to be more general, with that said, the only way to determine is to push every stimulus and see which your body responds to best. Axis points, inserts, there are a grip of variables to consider. Remembe rhumans have an amazing adaptation ability so its best in my opinion to keep your body guessing and tricked, in new environments we develop new neurons in our brain, in extreme heat and cold environments we pulse healing hormones in the heat and norepinephrine and noradrenaline in the cold..heat shock and cold shock proteins, dr mercola wrote about this .. hack your body

Staff online

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinFinch
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity