advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

MY TOP 10 "OLD SCHOOL" GIMMICKS I FELL FOR BACK IN THE DAY......

Muscle media 2000 was awesome.
I remember chromium picolate (sp) and also tried the brewers yeast!
Met-rx was the best tasting shit, apple juice/banana/ice!

Vanadyl Sulfate was supposed to be the next big thing for a while, and like mentioned earlier HMB had its time in the sun. I think both of those might actually be useful supps, but they were not the super supps they were marketed to be.

Even the protein we were taking back then was really all shit. Mostly all concentrate as they had not come out with the good stuff yet. And a lot of those meal replacements just had the cheapest possible protein in it im sure...

You know that's funny. I have always said the two best "natural" supplements I ever took were a combo of creatine and vanadyl. This was probably around 1992 when they were first hitting the scene. The creatine was made by a company called California Body Club and the Vanadyl was Vanadyl PH from sportpharma. I gained about 10 solid pounds in less than 2 months. Muscles just became "full" and my strength skyrocketed. Good stuff

Muscle media 2000 was awesome.
I remember chromium picolate (sp) and also tried the brewers yeast!
Met-rx was the best tasting shit, apple juice/banana/ice!

Yeah Met-Rx was some good stuff. When it first came out you had to actually by it in two containers. You had to mix the two together. The taste was (and still is) delicious!!! Yeah, and I loaded up one winter on brewer's yeast and wheat germ. Boatloaded the stuff in. They said they would help the immune system. Pretty sure I got sick as a dog though!!!

You know that's funny. I have always said the two best "natural" supplements I ever took were a combo of creatine and vanadyl. This was probably around 1992 when they were first hitting the scene. The creatine was made by a company called California Body Club and the Vanadyl was Vanadyl PH from sportpharma. I gained about 10 solid pounds in less than 2 months. Muscles just became "full" and my strength skyrocketed. Good stuff

Vanadyl gave me a pump, i remember being a teenager and feeling my arms get pumped at the gym when i was taking that. That was before there was pump products...

Im trying to think of another fad product from back then, there were so many i cant think of one though. Pyruvate remember that stuff? And when DHEA came out it was supposed to be like legal roids... Was just slightly overhyped.

I remember there was a lot of hype with glandular pills. They were freeze dried if I remember right, the one everyone was taking was called something like orchic, it was supposed to be ground up bull testicals. Michael Ashley said he used that and amino acids to win the natural mr. universe. Must've been '87. I remember those cybergenics ads too, the before and after pics were amazing. I was gonna buy some until my buddy asked me if cybergenics is so great why don't the pros use it... haha that little question saved me $140, which I used to buy hot stuff! There was a bodybuilder from the 70's named Bob Birdsong that came to gym sometimes and he was pushing a line of cutting edge supps. The star of his line up was gamma orazynol we all bought it hoping to get jacked like Bob. Turns out its from rice bran and used to treat menopause!

Cybergenix, boron, hot stuff.

There was some good stuff too. Ultimate Orange, creatine, sportpharm VS later the andros.

The original Ultimate Orange was awesome

Vanadyl gave me a pump, i remember being a teenager and feeling my arms get pumped at the gym when i was taking that. That was before there was pump products...

Im trying to think of another fad product from back then, there were so many i cant think of one though. Pyruvate remember that stuff? And when DHEA came out it was supposed to be like legal roids... Was just slightly overhyped.

Oh yeah, pyruvate was touted as one of the next big things. It died out fast though. Funny thing is after all these years I never once tried DHEA. always heard it would skyrocket estro levels......

Cybergenix, boron, hot stuff.

There was some good stuff too. Ultimate Orange, creatine, sportpharm VS later the andros.

Yeah, Andro was one of those "supplements" that actually panned out. I used it in the mark McGwire\Sammy Sosa heyday. Good stuff. Too bad it worked a little too good.......

Bill Phillips-the supplements were decent but those before and after pics-bullshit

not even on steroids could somebody make those gains in that time

fucker was calling all the pros cheaters and idiots then came out later and said how he was taking them the whole time

LOL...yah, there are too many for me to add, but Cybergenics; damn that was expensive even for today's standards...

I wasted 10 years of training by following the workouts and diet in FLEX Magazine.

I didn't know what "For Men Only" magazine was. Took a copy the gym and the guy that worked the desk at the local Y followed me around for a month after that. :eek:

The big secret about Hot Stuff....and also the reason that the stuff was flying off the shelves for a while...it had about 10mg of dbol per serving in it. After this was found out it got pulled from the shelves for a while and then came back with a "New and Improved Formula" which of course was complete crap. Most likely had something to do with the fact that it didn't have dbol in it anymore. :rolleyes:

But no dude it worked cause it had bull testicles grind-ed in it:rolleyes:

Im 51.. started training in 89 . so I remember all of this stuff.

What about the vanadyl craze ! I knew a guy who popped like 8 of them every day pre workout !! LMAO

some of the listed stuff actually was good when it first came out then formulas were changed to make it more profitable and it became junk.

Example:
Hot Stuff started out good
MetRx when it came as two separate formulas you have top mix together

I remember seeing the fucking Boron ads everywhere and as hard as i tried to resist I just could help but trying it once :) ( lesson learned: if it seems too good to be true it usually is)

Deer Antler Velvet ? Come on !

Even the Pro-Hormone era.. most of that stuff just raised estrogen LMAO..still tried it :)

Ultamate Orange rocked.. by then anything Duchane touted I was gonna try.

Last edited:
In a few years, kids from today will come on here and start the very same thread to state how back in the day they all fell for fancy peptides xzb1234 or wkj9876 believing it was the pros' secret to build gigantic size while shedding tons of fat... :naughty:

;)

I love these posts. Probably because I have been around this since early/mid 80's and remember them all, tried a few but I don't know if i was cheap, or not very gulible but I didn't try many.
I remember the owner of cybergenics use to come to the gym I would go to in the summer down the jersey shore. He would pull up in his red Lambo, big heavy guy (forgot his name). Franco Santorello would go there too. I remember he was taking a bottle of test /week back when he was a teen champ, I guess that was in between cybergenic kits :)

Things i fell for...

-Thinking you HAVE to do cardio morning and night plus weights at night cuz "that's what all the pros do..."
-doing prohormes thinking I would be mark McGuire size in a few months LOL
-Chromium Picolate(sp)
-deer antler lol
-mass gain shake when I was skinny in highschool
-thought I could hang with Arnolds workout (I got sick and was sore head to toe in like 8-9 days I was so over trained lol)
-JS

Last edited:
In a few years, kids from today will come on here and start the very same thread to state how back in the day they all fell for fancy peptides xzb1234 or wkj9876 believing it was the pros' secret to build gigantic size while shedding tons of fat... :naughty:

;)

Peptides are what Mega Mass, Cell Tech and Hydroxycut were in the 90s. Snake Oil to be exact. The only pro coach who seems to be recommend them a lot is Dennis James and his guys aren't exactly winning Mr O titles either.

Peptides are what Mega Mass, Cell Tech and Hydroxycut were in the 90s. Snake Oil to be exact. The only pro coach who seems to be recommend them a lot is Dennis James and his guys aren't exactly winning Mr O titles either.

What peptides does DJ suggest? igf?
-JS

Staff online

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
calebjmb
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws