YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

O/T interview for new job, anyway to stay calm?

Got Juice

Kilo Klub Member
hey guys' just thought someone might be able to give some advice on how to stay calm during an interview. im interviewing for an IT posotion which is the field im currently in.

anyways, i havent had an interview in over 5 years, im currently at my first real job i started when i was 17 so its been a while for me.

any help is greatly appreciated,

thanks,

I know your nervous because you want to nail the interview and get the job but to be truthfully honest you just need to pull yourself together and compose yourself. I dont think there are really and tricks other than invisioning the interviewer in his underwear but I would just walk in confident. Sahke the mans hand with a firm handhake so he knows you mean business.

Nothing worse to me than when you shake a mans hand and they give you a fishy weak handshake. Look the interviewer right in the eyes when you talk to him. Sit up straight, dont slouch and act like ya give a damn. Potential employers notice small details but they understand that you need or want the job so your going to be on your best behavior and nervousness is apart of that. They kinda expect a little of it, but you just have to be confident in your abilites. I fyou confident in your abilites and you know everything there is to know about what your interviewing for then you shouldnt have anything to worry about bud. I am sure you will do fine, but trust me, no fish handshakes and look your potential boss right in the eye and give good , decise, and swift answers. Always go right to the point and never hem and haw around with an answer. Hope everything works out for you bro.

Mav

Also if you don't know the answer to something don't make some shit up or act like you know what you're talking about. They'll see right through it. (and it will make you look really bad.) Just tell them that you don't know but you learn quickly and will pick it up.

What is the worst thing that can happen? They can say no, or they can offer you the position. Think of it as a practice interview with friends. You can relax and even enjoy the experience.

Make sure you make them feel that they need you...not you need them...try not to be over excited for the job...confident yes...cocky no.

Dress nice and a good hand shake are always important for the first impression....oh yeah do not be late.

Go in there wearing a t-shirt that says, "Fuck This Interview".

Nah, seriousy bro. I know its important to you so here is what I suggest. You need to rehearse everything your going to say a few nights before. Practice practice practice. You need to have your shit down pat. The guy/girl giving you the interview knows they are intimdating to you. If you crack under pressure to them then they will know you will crack under pressure during the job. You have to go in there with confidence. You have to go in there knowing you will win this interview just like you will handle the current situations that the job will call for. Go in there with a great big smile, and act like you don't give a fuck (in a sense of course) but yet act like this is nothing to you. I mean you either get the job or not, so don't let your nerves get the best of you. Remember this guy is on your team as well, I mean, hell your going to be working with him or she. Don't be to straight forward, and don't oversell yourself. Yet again don't answer their questions like a robot either. Answer them with personalilty. They will relate to you much better. This will also show natural confidence. For instance, bring up things you might have noticed going to the interview. The parking, the design of the office, the people working at the moment, try to act like the environment is already home to you. Remember this is nothing. You can handle this. Try and pick up on things surrounding the interviewer's office and make coments about them. For instance if they have some type of memorabilia siting around try and do your best to relate to that AT the right time. Do not, bring up things about the family photo's sitting around. That is to common and shows your a kiss ass. In a sense, you don't want to act like your desperate for this job, but would like to handle it because your looking for something different and it interests you.

Anyhow, that is a few I can think of off the top of my head. Hope I helped out.

Peace,
VG

I am like a professional interviewee and all the advice here is right on target! I'm impressed. I would only add:

* Don't ever talk about how bad your other job or another job sucked.

* Never talk about how bad other people suck.

On these two...they may think you're a drama queen and companies are running away from these peeps these days.

* If they set up a scenario or ask you what kind of problems you've had with peers in the work place... your answer is always and repeat on other answers if nec. "I don't like to look at it as a problem, the work force is very diverse so I prefer to look at it as a 'challange', communication is a learned skill and we all must strive to practice." in all cases.. eliminate the word 'problem' and opt for the word 'challange'. Those are key words to look for that come out of the interviewer's mouth. Always turn the table.

* If they paint a scenario of another employee just not making the grade and you have to work with him/her.... your key word is 'Patients' and don't elaborate on this...don't give them ammo to question further. In fact...don't elaborate on a damn thing.

Body language... major thing if the company has a pro interviewer doing the hiring for them.

* Don't cross your legs or arms...looks like you're hiding something.

* Use your hands when you talk and when you point.. use your whole hand PALM UP....and point it into your other hand PALM UP also. Makes you look vulnerable, honest, and open, non aggressive. If you point at anything to make your point...make sure it's your whole hand palm up. If you're doing nothing with your hands and you're just listening... don't grab the chair for dear life... palms up...one hand over the other...resting in your lap...fingers still.
* This is a good one. If the interviewer has a cross on outside his/her clothes..use it to your advantage.. when your hands are resting..put them into the 'PRAYING' position...after making a point with your hands palms up...go back to praying position. Praying position.. hands together/fingers loosly interlocked... held close to your body. This is a sneaky technique but it works.

When you first meet the interviewer... they'll introduce themselves and ask how you're doing "great! thank you! and yourself?" This is going to stick in their head through the interview and MAY ask sometime during the interview "where do you find all this energy?" ans "There's so much to do during the day I go to bed early always so that I never lag during business hours" careful..this can be used against you after you're hired...unless you're typically energetic.... you are painting a picture of yourself that they'll love enough to take a risk on you. That's what it boils down to today...who do they want to take a RISK on.

Since you pump iron..use it to your advantage... EXCEPT... call it Health and Fitness sessions. If they notice you work out... you have a firm belief in Health and Fitness because they suffer less physical problems in the work place accounting for less loss time on the job. But if the interviewer is a fat pig... don't even bring it up or avoid it. "wow you must work out" you "thanks".

And last...as you talk...don't say "uh or umm" between the words. Makes you look like you're making shit up. It's better to pause and look like you're reflecting than to throw those in there. You'll come off as a thinker.

SS

Last edited:
thanks for all the input guys'. i think like you guys said, i just need to prepare and konw what i want to say vs. muttering out umm's and uhh's..

i think this is a 3 interview process, tomorrow is the hiring manager and some other guy that im not really sure what his role is, besides being a key role to getting another interview.

i just found out yesterday that the interview will be tomorrow so i didnt have a whole lot of time to prepare. at least today is slow at work so i can review what i want to say.

it would be sweet if all goes well, then friday i leave for vegas i could really celebrate. :D

thanks again,

Great ideas!

These have all been great suggestions!

If you're considering a little pharmacologic help, you might consider beta-blockers.
These will slow your heart rate a bit, and relieve some of the physical symtoms of nervous tension. The theory is that without the physical symptoms (racing heart, sweaty palms, etc), you are less likely to have the psycholocial stress elevations since you're not getting the somatic feedback.

People have used these when they have to speak in public, give an address or presentation. The IOC has banned them for shooting competition due to their calming and steadying effect, which improves accuracy, and thus marksmanship scores.

A little offbeat, but interesting...

Got Juice said:
hey guys' just thought someone might be able to give some advice on how to stay calm during an interview. im interviewing for an IT posotion which is the field im currently in.

anyways, i havent had an interview in over 5 years, im currently at my first real job i started when i was 17 so its been a while for me.

any help is greatly appreciated,

thanks,

Hey Man I'm a profession technical recruiter.

Most customers hire a person that is 65-70% match for their positions. First of all they look for candidates with resumes that matches closest to the job description. So the hard part is over. You got your foot in the door because they want to see you. Bring your game face, shake everyone’s hand and smile (Pleasure to meet you). Don’t forget everyone puts their paints on one foot at a time just like you. Answer the question directly to the best of your ability. Don’t get cocky but be secure with your presentation and answers. If you don’t know something don’t lie or try to cover up or change the subject. Be honest employers look for that. Show interest in the position and the company or project. Show the interviewer that you want this position with out being desperate. Look presentable, I know it’s IT but that’s your leg up over other people interviewing. I’m not saying go get a buzz cut, but look professional, tidy and well kept. Don’t ware cologne, trust me…. You want to present your self a valuable commodity.

Good luck with the interview and I do staff IT people all over the world. Feel free to email me your resume or if you have questions after your interview for future interviews…

On a side note I personaly hired 128 people last year and I'm not very technical. I can just tell when somone is giving me a line or telling me the truth. ;)

i walk in there with the mindset "i AM the BEST person for the job that is going to walk through those doors"

as i get dressed i'll think about all the questions they're going to ask me and i'll word my responses.

know and believe that you're the man

:)

If the company has a website research thier company and facility thier mission statement extra. I went for a state job interview and had to know all this information plus what facilities they had in each town in my state and what populations they served. All this was asked in my interview and all the answers were on thier website.

That, and what Steak Helmet said. Be confident and sell yourself. Tell them why your an assest to thier company and why your a good match.

Storm Shadow

Gread advice bro!

Thanks for sharing your expertise with us.

If all else fails just take half a Valium half an hour before the interview... That should even you out a bit.

have a few friends interview you...

speak slowly and dont expand on answers unless you are asked..

if you want i will call you over the weekend and ask a few questions and give a few pointers..

i've been doing it for 10yrs and interview people routinely..

although i am not good at interviewing people i am good at being interviewed

maybe i could help you,

Last edited:
Mr Pickles said:
i walk in there with the mindset "i AM the BEST person for the job that is going to walk through those doors"

as i get dressed i'll think about all the questions they're going to ask me and i'll word my responses.

know and believe that you're the man

:)

not only do i think what you said but i tell them that as well.

dragonfire101 said:
If the company has a website research thier company and facility thier mission statement extra. I went for a state job interview and had to know all this information plus what facilities they had in each town in my state and what populations they served. All this was asked in my interview and all the answers were on thier website.

That, and what Steak Helmet said. Be confident and sell yourself. Tell them why your an assest to thier company and why your a good match.

You're sneaky...I like that. Ok call it using 'Intel' to your advantage :p

SS

well i appreciate all the input guys'. i think it went pretty well they told me they would let me know by wed of this coming week. apparently they need someone pretty bad so they are only doing one interview and i met all the people i would be working with on this first interview.

i guess ill keep my fingers crossed and hope they call, then i guess negotiate a salary, i hate that part. i feel like i always shoot to low.

thanks again fellas,

Got Juice said:
well i appreciate all the input guys'. i think it went pretty well they told me they would let me know by wed of this coming week. apparently they need someone pretty bad so they are only doing one interview and i met all the people i would be working with on this first interview.

i guess ill keep my fingers crossed and hope they call, then i guess negotiate a salary, i hate that part. i feel like i always shoot to low.

thanks again fellas,

Got Juice,

If they call you and want to hire you, then they will be more than willing to pay you a fair price - because they think you are the best for the job!

I read somewhere that the first person to mention the price will always "lose" the negotiation. When they ask you how much you want, look them straight in the face and use an answer like this:

"Well, I have five years experience in this field. This doesn't put me at the top of the salary, but it definitely puts me far from the bottom. I have led several projects, showing that I am an able team leader, while having also proven my ability to be a constructive follower." etc, etc.

Just think of three lines or so like this, and they should mention a price first.

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
12cc
NapsGear