over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

OT: Any Motorcycle enthusiasts on here?

I still have to go get my motorcycle license so most of my riding has been limited to parking lots, and back roads with little traffic.

Gotten pretty used to, and comfortable on the bike. But man, one thing you learn is that to some people you are practically invisible. They'll straight up pull out right in front of you.

I only have a ninja 500, it's a good beginner bike, got enough power to go faster than most cars, but not enough for me to kill myself. I'm hoping MSF courses open up soon. After some weeks of riding around, definitely not making this my daily rider for the summer. It's a fun hobby, but I think I'll limit it to weekend or early morning recreational use with little traffic. Will definitely look into going on a track after I take the safety course.

I still have to go get my motorcycle license so most of my riding has been limited to parking lots, and back roads with little traffic.

Gotten pretty used to, and comfortable on the bike. But man, one thing you learn is that to some people you are practically invisible. They'll straight up pull out right in front of you.

I only have a ninja 500, it's a good beginner bike, got enough power to go faster than most cars, but not enough for me to kill myself. I'm hoping MSF courses open up soon. After some weeks of riding around, definitely not making this my daily rider for the summer. It's a fun hobby, but I think I'll limit it to weekend or early morning recreational use with little traffic. Will definitely look into going on a track after I take the safety course.

You can kill yourself on a mini bike. Be safe.

Yeah I should've reworded that; makes it sound like fast bikes kill. Which is false, human error, and mistakes kill, not the bike.

had to sell my vtx 1300 cc couple weeks earlier and i still feel like I've lost a son

There's something about small vehicles and large vehicles that people just don't get.

I drive a 3/4 ton truck and I can't count the number of lives I've saved by being a very observant driver that's quick to brake. People don't realize how hard it is to slow big trucks down and literally risk their lives by turning in front of me, slowly and without safe margin, all the time.

Its been said here to ride as if you are invisible (or "practically invisible" as you say above). I actually ride as if all other vehicles on the road are trying to hit me to some degree, as if they're kind of "looking for an excuse," so to speak.

For instance if I were to come up behind someone, at the speed limit, I presume the car will switch lanes without signaling so I'd hit them from behind, which I think would very often technically / legally make it my fault, regardless of which driver really was to blame. (It's as if they're trying to get me.) So, I give a wide berth and quickly through blind spots. (A faster bike helps with this. I have a V-rod. )

When I'm taking turns in a multiple lane turning lane, I presume the other person will cross over lanes into mine. I take the right most lane if that gives me an extra lane to move into off to my right.

I imagine folks coming out of parks cars, opening doors right in front of me...

It's a kind of hyper vigilance that I've become accustomed to and I think is really part of how I'm wired, too. (I've had this tested in a scientific lab, actually.)

Last time I laid my bike down was out of necessity, essentially. I was driving down my rightful lane alongside a long line of opposing traffic - those cars were waiting to make a left hand turn. There was gas station on my right, opposing traffic on my left and a car at the end of the line didn't want to wait to pull into the gas station (I presume) and decided to "gun it" up the road to pull into the gas station - heading right at me.
He pulled out and accelerated right at me (maybe unable to tell how fast I was going b/c he was pointed right at me, dead center. A left turn and I run into stopped traffic, a right turn to avoid a head on collision and I would have run up over a high / broken curb into a telephone pole and/or dumpster or a fence. The only other option was to stop as fast as possible and get the fuck out, which I did. The bike went down, we both slid and I was able to jump out of the way. The bike just got bumped a bit by the other driver, who hit and run. (Turns out he was an underage driver who'd stolen "Daddy's car for a joy ride." )

Even then (this was 20yr ago), I was on alert for this kind of thing, as I knew I was heading into a kind of corridor (cars one side, dumper / poles / curb on the other) so I was almost pre-meditating a way out. AFTER that, I was even more ready to pay close attention/be vigilant when driving.

I don't ride when I'm prepping (prep brain fog), tired, and don't drink, but would never ride when drunk with any alcohol in my system. I actually don't feel like it makes it any less enjoyable to ride, but that's because I don't put myself in situations where riding would be dangerous b/c I'm to wiped out to be "properly" focused. I ride when I'm up for it, so I really enjoy it. :)

-S

Its been said here to ride as if you are invisible (or "practically invisible" as you say above). I actually ride as if all other vehicles on the road are trying to hit me to some degree, as if they're kind of "looking for an excuse," so to speak.

For instance if I were to come up behind someone, at the speed limit, I presume the car will switch lanes without signaling so I'd hit them from behind, which I think would very often technically / legally make it my fault, regardless of which driver really was to blame. (It's as if they're trying to get me.) So, I give a wide berth and quickly through blind spots. (A faster bike helps with this. I have a V-rod. )

When I'm taking turns in a multiple lane turning lane, I presume the other person will cross over lanes into mine. I take the right most lane if that gives me an extra lane to move into off to my right.

I imagine folks coming out of parks cars, opening doors right in front of me...

It's a kind of hyper vigilance that I've become accustomed to and I think is really part of how I'm wired, too. (I've had this tested in a scientific lab, actually.)

Last time I laid my bike down was out of necessity, essentially. I was driving down my rightful lane alongside a long line of opposing traffic - those cars were waiting to make a left hand turn. There was gas station on my right, opposing traffic on my left and a car at the end of the line didn't want to wait to pull into the gas station (I presume) and decided to "gun it" up the road to pull into the gas station - heading right at me.
He pulled out and accelerated right at me (maybe unable to tell how fast I was going b/c he was pointed right at me, dead center. A left turn and I run into stopped traffic, a right turn to avoid a head on collision and I would have run up over a high / broken curb into a telephone pole and/or dumpster or a fence. The only other option was to stop as fast as possible and get the fuck out, which I did. The bike went down, we both slid and I was able to jump out of the way. The bike just got bumped a bit by the other driver, who hit and run. (Turns out he was an underage driver who'd stolen "Daddy's car for a joy ride." )

Even then (this was 20yr ago), I was on alert for this kind of thing, as I knew I was heading into a kind of corridor (cars one side, dumper / poles / curb on the other) so I was almost pre-meditating a way out. AFTER that, I was even more ready to pay close attention/be vigilant when driving.

I don't ride when I'm prepping (prep brain fog), tired, and don't drink, but would never ride when drunk with any alcohol in my system. I actually don't feel like it makes it any less enjoyable to ride, but that's because I don't put myself in situations where riding would be dangerous b/c I'm to wiped out to be "properly" focused. I ride when I'm up for it, so I really enjoy it. :)

-S

I had no idea you were a riding enthusiast. Really appreciate the advice! Everybody in this thread has been super helpful with advice and wisdom from their years of riding.

Riding with little traffic, open roads, and good turns is super liberating. One of the very few times where you feel alive, and connected. The stuff that worries me is traffic, sitting in traffic specifically where some idiot can just rear end and kill me. I guess it's going to take some time for that anxiety to clear. I usually go to an industrial area after hours, and setup water bottles in the parking lots to practice turns, pivoting, u turns, and stop and gos. Most of the truck drivers there wave at me, and give me thumbs up for practicing like a mule with nobody around lol

Every single person I've talked to mentions someone they know who got maimed, or killed on a motorcycle, hell I haven't even mentioned it to my cousin who's a physician. I'm not sure if it's worse in the midwest where we only get 3-4 actual months of decent weather, and people just aren't used to motorcycles on the road.

But it's very nice to hear from guys like you, and others in this thread on here that have been riding for decades and are still going strong. Probably a combination of vigilance (like you mentioned), experience, and some good luck.

I'm okay with uncertainty when it comes to the decisions I make in my life, but other people's mindlessness is the boogeyman under the bed for me.

Italy was crazy on the roads. Motorcycles and mopeds zig zag through traffic. All 3 lanes on the highway can be occupied by cars and the bikes will go inbetween the cars, basically going down the middle of 2 lanes. No open lane, no problem!

I had no idea you were a riding enthusiast. Really appreciate the advice! Everybody in this thread has been super helpful with advice and wisdom from their years of riding.

Riding with little traffic, open roads, and good turns is super liberating. One of the very few times where you feel alive, and connected. The stuff that worries me is traffic, sitting in traffic specifically where some idiot can just rear end and kill me. I guess it's going to take some time for that anxiety to clear. I usually go to an industrial area after hours, and setup water bottles in the parking lots to practice turns, pivoting, u turns, and stop and gos. Most of the truck drivers there wave at me, and give me thumbs up for practicing like a mule with nobody around lol

Every single person I've talked to mentions someone they know who got maimed, or killed on a motorcycle, hell I haven't even mentioned it to my cousin who's a physician. I'm not sure if it's worse in the midwest where we only get 3-4 actual months of decent weather, and people just aren't used to motorcycles on the road.

But it's very nice to hear from guys like you, and others in this thread on here that have been riding for decades and are still going strong. Probably a combination of vigilance (like you mentioned), experience, and some good luck.

I'm okay with uncertainty when it comes to the decisions I make in my life, but other people's mindlessness is the boogeyman under the bed for me.

Absolutely! I don't like to offer unsolicited advice - but I think it's worth it to provide perspective when a life could be on the line as here.

Yes, I could imagine that things could be a bit more dangerous in the Midwest (I grew up in IL), but there are so many other factors, too.

I lived in Cali for a couple years, where lane splitting is lega (driving between cars in their rightful lanes). You can do that (I believe) regardless of speed or the roadway, so you can imagine the crotch rockets zipping between cars on the highway (Breaking speed limits, but legal as far as splitting lanes). It was handy, though at stop lights, as you could simply ride to the front of the line and then take the lead when the light would turn green...

I don't have nearly the miles that many guys do, so that's some of it for me, too.

It sounds like you're doing your best to be sure you've got good riding skills. I suspect everyone has a sweet spot as far as finding a balance of vigilance vs. riding when literally fearful. Being overly cautious could create a problem, too, I can imagine, but I think MOST riders are probably not subject to that: It's the nature of the beast (just my guess) that people who ride motorcycles aren't as likely to operate with a fear based mentality. (It's being fearless, cocky, "stupid" that can often be the issue.)

Just a thought, too. Some folks get annoyed at a big loud ass bike that come rumbling through, but there's something to say for letting you presence be known with a loud bike. (This is why headlights are on whenever a bike is running, day or night - to increase visibility.)

I've actually had the sense *sometimes* that when I'm out on my bike, that folks are more cautious around me than when I've had a less conspicuous vehicle. For a few years, I had a 36ft Class A RV, a "toad" vehicle (towed behind the RV) Pontiac Vibe (little thing) and my Harley. Folks would see me in the front of the RV and think I probably stole it (not your typical RV owner), give me little respect on the Vibe at all (had a funny encounter with some kids who couldn't see through the window tinting and didn't expect me to come out of the car when they were messing with me) and my Harley (caught people's attention and maybe elicited some stereotypes that made folks not want to mess with the "biker type," so to speak).

-S

Italy was crazy on the roads. Motorcycles and mopeds zig zag through traffic. All 3 lanes on the highway can be occupied by cars and the bikes will go inbetween the cars, basically going down the middle of 2 lanes. No open lane, no problem!

A lot of asian countries, China, India, Thailand, Vietnam are like that too where they have basically no law on a lot of streets. Nobody follows the lights, and it's constant nonstop traffic just criss crossing. It's amazing they don't have more accidents there lol

Absolutely! I don't like to offer unsolicited advice - but I think it's worth it to provide perspective when a life could be on the line as here.

Yes, I could imagine that things could be a bit more dangerous in the Midwest (I grew up in IL), but there are so many other factors, too.

I lived in Cali for a couple years, where lane splitting is lega (driving between cars in their rightful lanes). You can do that (I believe) regardless of speed or the roadway, so you can imagine the crotch rockets zipping between cars on the highway (Breaking speed limits, but legal as far as splitting lanes). It was handy, though at stop lights, as you could simply ride to the front of the line and then take the lead when the light would turn green...

I don't have nearly the miles that many guys do, so that's some of it for me, too.

It sounds like you're doing your best to be sure you've got good riding skills. I suspect everyone has a sweet spot as far as finding a balance of vigilance vs. riding when literally fearful. Being overly cautious could create a problem, too, I can imagine, but I think MOST riders are probably not subject to that: It's the nature of the beast (just my guess) that people who ride motorcycles aren't as likely to operate with a fear based mentality. (It's being fearless, cocky, "stupid" that can often be the issue.)

Just a thought, too. Some folks get annoyed at a big loud ass bike that come rumbling through, but there's something to say for letting you presence be known with a loud bike. (This is why headlights are on whenever a bike is running, day or night - to increase visibility.)

I've actually had the sense *sometimes* that when I'm out on my bike, that folks are more cautious around me than when I've had a less conspicuous vehicle. For a few years, I had a 36ft Class A RV, a "toad" vehicle (towed behind the RV) Pontiac Vibe (little thing) and my Harley. Folks would see me in the front of the RV and think I probably stole it (not your typical RV owner), give me little respect on the Vibe at all (had a funny encounter with some kids who couldn't see through the window tinting and didn't expect me to come out of the car when they were messing with me) and my Harley (caught people's attention and maybe elicited some stereotypes that made folks not want to mess with the "biker type," so to speak).

-S

Bet that Vibe gave you amazing gas mileage though :)

So much truth about perceptions. I drove a white toyota corolla for a year (got it super cheap, and it was reliable as hell), but man do people bully you in that car. I had soccer moms and high school kids giving me the finger occasionally, I just looked at my gas mileage and kept driving :cool:

I'm kinda bummed lane splitting isn't legal in my state, but it doesn't stop many riders from doing it. Cops are particularly cautious with bikers too, they pull them over half expecting them to run. Motorcycles are like a different universe that operates around cars and trucks on the road.

On that day I only wore a helmet jeans and a hoodie. I payed the price for being an idiot and was in the hospital for over 24hr with a drip because I got an infection that kept spreading. 100% my fault and I learned a lesson the hard way.

Good on you for recognizing that, and learning from it (y)

On that day I only wore a helmet jeans and a hoodie. I payed the price for being an idiot and was in the hospital for over 24hr with a drip because I got an infection that kept spreading. 100% my fault and I learned a lesson the hard way.

Your a lucky man. Glad you had your helmet on. I went down a few years back and got beat up really bad. The helmet saved me head injuries, if not my life.

Your a lucky man. Glad you had your helmet on. I went down a few years back and got beat up really bad. The helmet saved me head injuries, if not my life.

I was very lucky my friend. I only slid and didn't break any bones or hit my head/neck. I learned a valuable lesson in my life and I will never go out again without full coverage. PS - Good to see you are still around. You don't know it but we go back about 15yrs...take care my friend.

A lot of asian countries, China, India, Thailand, Vietnam are like that too where they have basically no law on a lot of streets. Nobody follows the lights, and it's constant nonstop traffic just criss crossing. It's amazing they don't have more accidents there lol
Sure is amazing. When we were there for 2 weeks we were only aware of one bad accident on the highway. Coming back from a short day trip I had to take back roads through the hills rather than the highway because all lanes were closed that way back to Florence. Im actually glad it happened because the scenery was beautiful! Saw numerous grape fields etc.

I rode without a license for years. I never got a ticket and it wasn't because I wasn't speeding (Good times).

Then one time a motorcycle cop pulled me over around my house and said I had to push the bike back home. He was always around my area and he said if you see me again he would impound my bike. So then I got my permit and later did the course, but you definitely want to get your license as soon as possible because the longer you have the license without an incident your insurance will come down.

If you want to save some money. Get the permit and then do the test. Look up a video on YouTube (first person view through GoPro of someone doing the test) set up some cones and practice.

Although you do get insurance discounts for going through the rider's course.

I really think you should just go to the track though. In that case it doesn't matter if you have a license or not.

I rode without a license for years. I never got a ticket and it wasn't because I wasn't speeding (Good times).

Then one time a motorcycle cop pulled me over around my house and said I had to push the bike back home. He was always around my area and he said if you see me again he would impound my bike. So then I got my permit and later did the course, but you definitely want to get your license as soon as possible because the longer you have the license without an incident your insurance will come down.

If you want to save some money. Get the permit and then do the test. Look up a video on YouTube (first person view through GoPro of someone doing the test) set up some cones and practice.

Although you do get insurance discounts for going through the rider's course.

I really think you should just go to the track though. In that case it doesn't matter if you have a license or not.
A guy I know that got his first bike when he turned 50 did something that made sense to me. For taking his driver's test he got a little bike that was easy to handle, much easier than his bigger bike. It might have even been a moped, cant remember. After he passed the test I never saw the little bike again.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
systemfiles1
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131