over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Schoenfeld, Seedman, and ROM

Biggerp73

Verified Customer
Registered
Verified Customer
Brad Schoenfeld is the most published researcher of weight training in academia, and a social media presence. A few weeks ago he, and many others, ganged up on a guy named Joel Seedman about claims he has made about the advantages of not going past 90 degrees. It was no surprise that they attacked him because the latest trend among these social media weight lifting personalities is the benefits of training in the lengthened position. But Schoenfeld responded on his own page (IG), by actually citing Schoenfeld's own latest meta-analysis on the subject (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6977096/), which indicated that there probably was no additional benefit to going past 90 degrees. Ill provide the quote below.

“In the only study that used free weight exercises and did not observe divergent effects of full versus partial ROM training on quadriceps hypertrophy the ROM was from 0° to 140° and from 0° to 90° of knee flexion for the full and partial ROM training groups, respectively. It can be surmised that these between-study differences in ROM explain the discrepancies in findings, although other covariates cannot be ruled out (e.g. training status, intensity of load, etc). The ROM in the Kubo et al.21 study was the largest as the group training with partial ROM performed the same ROM as the group training with a full ROM in the McMahon et al.19 study. Therefore, the ROM in the group training with partial ROM in the Kubo et al.21 study was already relatively high, which might explain why similar increases in muscle size were observed between training conditions. Therefore, it could be hypothesized that when a certain ROM threshold is achieved, no additional benefit is obtained by further increases in ROM of a given exercise.”

I know some of you guys have probably been following this. I found it interesting that Seedman has essentially shut them all up and no one has made any response since (and everyone - Layne Norton, Mike Israetel, Bret Contreras, etc - all piled on him about this).

Now I'm interested to know what people think.

To some natural trainee that minute shit might matter but for the average drugged up gorilla it doesn't matter a whole lot, look across the IFBB to the different training styles from Nick Walker to Branch Warren. The training is just the stimulus/signal, the food and the anabolics are where it's at. I've come to find out that as long as you train hard and consistently it really doesn't matter much after that.

Just my opinion!

seedman is completely full of shit. With that said I do think the Full ROM crowd takes things way to far. If you look at most pros they utilize partial ROM training with great success mainly in pressing movements.

seedman is completely full of shit. With that said I do think the Full ROM crowd takes things way to far. If you look at most pros they utilize partial ROM training with great success mainly in pressing movements.
This. Seedman cites his owwwnnn work in his evidence lol but totally agree that the full ROM guys are insane as well.
Both have their place.

Side note, watching Dr Mike lift makes me want to gouge my eyes out. He’s just so over the top with his stretches and movements that it looks ridiculous. If I saw him in the gym, I would shake my head and move on:

They are all as bad as each other and the fitness industry (I use the term loosely) is an embarrassment right now. It’s just people challenging other people to try to get followings and likes. It’s a pathetic scene. I’ve unfollowed pretty much all of them. Carter Mike isratel you name it. The only guy I like is Jeff Alberts a 52 yr old natural bodybuilder. Stays in his own lane. Doesn’t get swayed by anything or anyone and doesn’t bad mouth another to try to get clicks. Maybe it’s because I’m almost 50 myself but I see right through all of these people for what they are. Schills

Context matters, a ton. Nuance matters, a ton.

People who don’t use full ROM also tend to be looser with form. Most people who use shortened ROM and loose technique will suffer more acute and chronic injuries.

People love their outliers and are mostly terrible at debating. Logical fallacies are thrown about from both sides.

Full knee flexion with proper technique and controlled tempo will grow quads equally as fast, probably faster, than limited ROM… and knees will likely be healthier with less pain.

People need to stop using examples of people who “get away with it”. It’s intellectually dishonest.

Seeking truth is not the same as winning a debate.

A great lawyer can get a murderer off the hook by winning the argument, which is very different than finding the truth.

Brad Schoenfeld is the most published researcher of weight training in academia, and a social media presence. A few weeks ago he, and many others, ganged up on a guy named Joel Seedman about claims he has made about the advantages of not going past 90 degrees. It was no surprise that they attacked him because the latest trend among these social media weight lifting personalities is the benefits of training in the lengthened position. But Schoenfeld responded on his own page (IG), by actually citing Schoenfeld's own latest meta-analysis on the subject (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6977096/), which indicated that there probably was no additional benefit to going past 90 degrees. Ill provide the quote below.

“In the only study that used free weight exercises and did not observe divergent effects of full versus partial ROM training on quadriceps hypertrophy the ROM was from 0° to 140° and from 0° to 90° of knee flexion for the full and partial ROM training groups, respectively. It can be surmised that these between-study differences in ROM explain the discrepancies in findings, although other covariates cannot be ruled out (e.g. training status, intensity of load, etc). The ROM in the Kubo et al.21 study was the largest as the group training with partial ROM performed the same ROM as the group training with a full ROM in the McMahon et al.19 study. Therefore, the ROM in the group training with partial ROM in the Kubo et al.21 study was already relatively high, which might explain why similar increases in muscle size were observed between training conditions. Therefore, it could be hypothesized that when a certain ROM threshold is achieved, no additional benefit is obtained by further increases in ROM of a given exercise.”

I know some of you guys have probably been following this. I found it interesting that Seedman has essentially shut them all up and no one has made any response since (and everyone - Layne Norton, Mike Israetel, Bret Contreras, etc - all piled on him about this).

Now I'm interested to know what people think.
I'm a damn scientist and I have trouble with this quote. I'd give that LAST sentence possible credence, but I thought there was plenty of research data that hasn't shown any kind of drop off like that per se.

I think I see more large guys use partials and shit form than I see using full ROM. I use full ROM as I am an old guy with worn down joints so if I do a nice slow controlled decent to total bottom I can really tax my muscles using lighter weights.. but I am not someone who is truly huge either

Layne probably didn’t say anything because he has addressed Seedmans claims on this in the past and doesn’t take him seriously as far hypertrophy training.

thatd be impossible man because I wasn’t on here and literally just created this account. I’ll avoid you if it’ll cause issues here. I’m not here to cause problems
Obviously it’s a new account. Banned accounts are dead for good.

Idk how you’d avoid anyone on the internet. It’s not like we’re gonna brush past each other.

Your writing seems familiar. If not, no big deal.

Obviously it’s a new account. Banned accounts are dead for good.

Idk how you’d avoid anyone on the internet. It’s not like we’re gonna brush past each other.

Your writing seems familiar. If not, no big deal.
wasnt me buddy. as a GA boy I like the name though. If my post came across a certain way I apologize. I’m laying in discomfort from a 4 hour heart abbilation where they went up through my groin this morning.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
nohara5216
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws