over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

side lateral issues

Mike Hunt

Registered
what are some ques you guys use to help take the traps out of your db side laterals? no matter if i go light or heavy, i feel a lot of the work load in my traps.

thethinker48

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Put your forehead on top of a seated bench, it'll prevent you from using momentum

Also, a side lateral machine is really amazing if you have access to it

Mike Hunt

Registered
Put your forehead on top of a seated bench, it'll prevent you from using momentum

unfortunately i dont have a lateral machine

the way you describe this form, makes me think of the form when someone is trying to isolate rear delts...so im not really understanding...are you seated backwards on a vertical bench or do you mean standing?

thethinker48

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
I guess it depends if your gym has a bench that has a tall seat when raised upright.

Mine has one that only requires me to bend forward a few inches, and place my forehead on it to do strict side laterals. (I'm also short...this is a key factor here lol)

deadliftsquates

Registered
Just use it as a trap exercise. I do, try one arm side raises with a dumbbell or cable for your delts. But for me the most important thing is the thought while doing the movement. On a good day, I can really hit a muscle harder because of the thought put into it.

Dezzy

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
I have this problem as well.

USMuscle9403

Registered
Lean more forward and have your elbows more in front of you. You may need to adjust here, some guys can completely isolate that side delt by doing them the conventional 'stiff' way, I call it. Not I, nor a lot of other guys. The way I do them becomes almost a side and front delt movement.

heavyhitter

Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Gotta keep your traps pressed down and scapula retreated as well

alfresco

Featured Member / Kilo Klub Member
Featured Member
Registered

Yes, both good ideas.

Lacking a machine or a seated bench to prevent momentum, just stand facing, very
close, almost touching a wall or a post. This will prevent the db's from moving too far
forward and reduce momentum. And keep the reps up, like 20.

And like USMuscle siad, cable side laterals. I like to do them with my hand starting
behind me, close to mid line. Great stretch. I get much better activation.

Hope this helps.

maldorf

Featured Member
Registered
For me doing them seated was enough for me to really take the traps out. If you watch that Meadows video above youll see that when the girls start rocking their torso that is when the traps come into play.

1bigmofo

Registered
bollocks...heaven forbid u may get a little trap contraction in there. I don’t see that as a big deal...it’s a muscle at work. thats my goal. if i can get some secondary stimulus on an adjacent muscle then great. Fuck trying to isolate the delts, id go as heavy as fuck, seated, and get out 6 good reps 2x and then do like a drop set or a double rest pause last set. i don’t t like isolation movements for growth.

jeroendebleser

Registered
bollocks...heaven forbid u may get a little trap contraction in there. I don’t see that as a big deal...it’s a muscle at work. thats my goal. if i can get some secondary stimulus on an adjacent muscle then great. Fuck trying to isolate the delts, id go as heavy as fuck, seated, and get out 6 good reps 2x and then do like a drop set or a double rest pause last set. i don’t t like isolation movements for growth.
Well that's another way to look at it I guess :D

URODA

Newbies
Incline laterals where you are on your side on the bench are great and the motion is hard throughout the entire movement, leaning away from the cable raise will neglect trap, lying down on the ground cable lateral with your head rested on a yoga pad or what have you may be the best option Joe Bennet kinda thing if you have that double cable machine anyway I do it unilaterally

jeroendebleser

Registered
What will probably help is just doing them strict with an almost straight arm and no 'bob' with your entire body like you often see people do when doing side laterals.

How strict are you doing them now?

jakane916

Newbies
I lean forward as some have said, just slightly. I also raise from my shoulders until I feel them contracting. My dumbbells usually don't even go as high as my shoulders when I do them

USMuscle9403

Registered
I lean forward as some have said, just slightly. I also raise from my shoulders until I feel them contracting. My dumbbells usually don't even go as high as my shoulders when I do them
I think most guys are asking for issues if they raise them at or above shoulder height.

jakane916

Newbies
I think most guys are asking for issues if they raise them at or above shoulder height.
Yeah, I actually bring them up high but that's too purposely hit my traps. For the most part I do them like I said previously. Hit my traps with deads and rows

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Gearhead80