over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Skip Hill brings up an interesting topic on @ThinkBigBodybuildingMedia. šŸ§

headtrainer

Registered
I wanted to share this video with everyone because Iā€™ve experienced the exact same thing Skip talks about in this video. I thought I was the only one who noticed this strange phenomenon, but obviously not! Skip is experimenting with his training by doing a one week on-one week off regimenā€”because every time he takes a week offā€”he comes back stronger, gets a better pump, and his joints feel better. Iā€™ve experienced the exact same thing, especially since Iā€™ve gotten older and have arthritis joints. Skip also suggest a person would maintain all their muscle during the week off if using steroids. In a nutshell, we may be able to train a lot less often and be just as big, or bigger, because our joints, tendons, and CNS get better recovery. I think thereā€™s validity for this type of trainingā€”especially for those of us who are advanced lifters, have a busy work schedule or deal with painful joints/tendons. Iā€™d be interested in hearing others opinions.

Layoffs/deloads are necessary, but I personally do not come back stronger. I also like training so that's a hard "no" from me.
I find it strange that you donā€™t come back stronger after taking a week off. That said, Iā€™ve taken a week off and actually came back weaker. But thatā€™s the exception and not the norm. Most of the time I come back stronger.

It depends how you lift. Do you do a lot of compounds at a high load? That fries your CNS, so taking a week off can indeed make you stronger then. If you just do a lot of machines and pump stuff I think it is BS.

In my opinion, if you canā€™t go more than one week without performance starting to decrease thereā€™s something wrong with your recovery or training.

As i get older i find i feel better the less i train. And retaining muscle is not that hard in the shorter term. Over years that is a different story. But i am not sure that sort of thinking is best for accruing muscle long term. May have something to do with how much/hard one trains and what there recovery ability is.

useable strength on lifts due to more comfortable joints and energy stores , or actual muscle ? ...if minimal difference go with comfort

I personally don't like it. But I could see someone doing like 3 on 1 off. The 3 on either high volume or high intensity to ",justify" the frequent week off. Meaning if your taking every 4th week off , better make those 3 weeks count.

I'm not an old fukker like SKIP, so I can't comment.

heh heh heh;)

If it works for him, keeps him motivated and consistent with that type of schedule, then I think it is a good route....for him. Skip has been around the block and knows his body, so it will be interesting to see his thoughts down the road. Whether this helps others and their own goals and situation, then the only way to know is to give it a run. I still need to watch this episode, so I don't want to give any opinions or thoughts. I'm not far behind him at 47. One thing to keep in mind is that Skip has put a lot of miles on his body, so a newbie may not need a whole week off. BUT...I may or may not be able to add more after watching it.

In my opinion, if you canā€™t go more than one week without performance starting to decrease thereā€™s something wrong with your recovery or training.
It depend on how long itā€™s been since you did a deload. At my peak, 8 weeks was the longest I could train without needing to take a week off.

I wanted to share this video with everyone because Iā€™ve experienced the exact same thing Skip talks about in this video. I thought I was the only one who noticed this strange phenomenon, but obviously not! Skip is experimenting with his training by doing a one week on-one week off regimenā€”because every time he takes a week offā€”he comes back stronger, gets a better pump, and his joints feel better. Iā€™ve experienced the exact same thing, especially since Iā€™ve gotten older and have arthritis joints. Skip also suggest a person would maintain all their muscle during the week off if using steroids. In a nutshell, we may be able to train a lot less often and be just as big, or bigger, because our joints, tendons, and CNS get better recovery. I think thereā€™s validity for this type of trainingā€”especially for those of us who are advanced lifters, have a busy work schedule or deal with painful joints/tendons. Iā€™d be interested in hearing others opinions.

If they are coming back stronger every time, that means they aren't getting sufficient recovery during the training week.

Muscles and strength are not built in the gym, they are built at home when you are rest and recovering. Training breaks down the muscle, the recovery is the part that builds the muscle. That week off is just letting this persons muscle actually recover and grow bigger and stronger.

They would get better results if they actually optimize their recovery. The three fundamentals ; Progressive overload, caloric surplus, recovery. If one is missing, you will not get optimal results or you stall.

Just to maintain maybe. But if you try to grow it is not enough.
I think youā€™re right! Even though you can come back stronger for a week due to the joints feeling better, youā€™re not doing enough frequency to grow additional muscle in most cases ( the possible exception being those who have such bad arthritis they canā€™t train hard with any consistency). But I believe itā€™s a good way to maintain muscle and strength once youā€™ve reached a certain level and age. Realistically, we are not going to get any bigger after we reach a certain point without doing something that could do great harm to our bodies.

I'm not an old fukker like SKIP, so I can't comment.

heh heh heh;)

If it works for him, keeps him motivated and consistent with that type of schedule, then I think it is a good route....for him. Skip has been around the block and knows his body, so it will be interesting to see his thoughts down the road. Whether this helps others and their own goals and situation, then the only way to know is to give it a run. I still need to watch this episode, so I don't want to give any opinions or thoughts. I'm not far behind him at 47. One thing to keep in mind is that Skip has put a lot of miles on his body, so a newbie may not need a whole week off. BUT...I may or may not be able to add more after watching it.
I agree itā€™s not for newbies. But itā€™s certainly a viable option for those of us who are advanced and know we are not going to gain any significant size or have debilitating joint pain after intense training.

useable strength on lifts due to more comfortable joints and energy stores , or actual muscle ? ...if minimal difference go with comfort
After my knee surgery ( which took 2 years to heal) I experienced more usable strength for a while by training only once every other week when the knee would get inflamed. I maintained all my quad mass but did not gain any additional mass. I have to train my quads once a week to gain size. Therefore, training legs every other week while taking steroids is a good way to maintain what you have built. That said, I was also using low volume to prevent irritating my knee. If I had performed high volume, I might have gained a little more muscle in my quads. But thatā€™s not an option for me because high volume coupled with high intensity can really set off my joints at age 60.

I can see how this would be effective. I used to do a lot of jump training to increase my vertical. I found that a week or two off from training provided the best results. I donā€™t think it was necessarily beneficial in training (it mightā€™ve been) but what I think is that our muscles are not fully recovered for a good week or two even if they feel fine! Itā€™s extremely noticeable when youā€™re trying to dunk a basketball! No rest and I could barely squeak one over the rim. After a week or two off, Iā€™d be doing windmills and reverses and shit! To perform your best your muscles need to be fully recovered!

If they are coming back stronger every time, that means they aren't getting sufficient recovery during the training week.

Muscles and strength are not built in the gym, they are built at home when you are rest and recovering. Training breaks down the muscle, the recovery is the part that builds the muscle. That week off is just letting this persons muscle actually recover and grow bigger and stronger.

They would get better results if they actually optimize their recovery. The three fundamentals ; Progressive overload, caloric surplus, recovery. If one is missing, you will not get optimal results or you stall.
I canā€™t argue against what you say. I think our joints ability to recover is the biggest factor holding us back as we age.

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
whodis?
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws