advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

SQUATS AND DEADLIFTS = Wider hips/waist??? Poll!

Squatting and Deadlifting causes a wider waists and hips

• YES

Votes: 114 46.9%
  • NO

Votes: 129 53.1%

• Total voters
Dead lifts, personally nothing.
free weight squatting on the other hand widens my waist.

i squatted without a belt except or the last heavy set. free weight (bb)
my waist got bigger. actually my obliques got bigger
then

i started wearing the belt all the time, from the time i enter the gym, until i finish. AND i started squatting on a smith machine so my stabilizing muscles are working to the minimum.
i can till you that i noticed big difference

keep in mind i was bulking, on a normal testos dosage. both times

i agree with the squat on the smith you use less in your core so no to smith squats. i think deads to build the obliques too but some guys might not might get much growth on the obliques just genentics.

SB

Only time i find my waist getting bigger is when i'm fat and over eat..

Sits distended over my belt..

Did a quick mini bout of intermittent fasting.. dropped 4.5kg in two weeks..

Waist pulled back in straight away.. :headbang:

Hips yeah I feel it does, but not really waist too much. Hips more than waist

For those who get bigger waists and hips, have you tried front squats?

Definitely gonna go with hips, but not so much waist. Jeans are a nightmare after a few years of heavy squatting.

Wider hips. Squats especially for me. My legs grow and so does my ass. I'm very much a hip squatter so iv stopped squatting. vertical leg press hits my quads harder than any exercise iv tried

In my experience, squats thickened up my hips and obliques, giving my body a more blocky look.
Deadlifting did not affect any of the muscles that would contribute to a bigger waist, but made my glutes grow big time.
I went a long period of just squatting, and a long period of just deadlifting, so I think it made for a good 'study' on what grows from what exercise.

I no longer squat, I prefer deadlifts and leg press for my lower body. I have other good reasons for not doing it besides the blocky waist (back pain from squats, but not while DL'ing for some reason).

I find it interesting that the results of this poll are nearly dead even.

I think it's down to the type of squat when we all start concentrating on beasting up some decent weight so we end up using powerlifting style squat and use too much glutes. If I keep my feet closer together and stay more upright, don't go as deep and work on technique I do feel it more in quads than hips

I'm curious to know where everyone measures their waist. Around the belly button or above the hips between the belly button? I've always measured around the bellybutton and that size depends on my diet more than anything else.

You are meant to measure round the narrowest part if you are looking face on in a mirror

Obviously they don't thicken the bone structure etc, but 100% fact heavy heavy deads and squats thicken my obliques and thus give the illusion of a wider waist. In fact I did mixed grip for so long that when I was lean enough during my competition prep you could even see that one oblique was far larger and grainy-er than the other one.

This may not hold true for everyone but it has for me. Just gotta get wider up top and below my waist to make it seem smaller again :p

pelvic girdle structure and rib cage and spinal structure determine the insertions for musculature. most powerlifters and strongmen DONT do direct isolatory training for abs, so it would be difficult to know if squats and deads contribute to it. ronnie, branch, rhoden, nunn, farnsworth and many others squat like mad men yet maintain a tiny waist in comparison. clearly, the list of athletes above do far more direct ab and oblique work than their equivalent powerlifting counterparts...

My waist has consistently been 32.5 inches for at least 8 years except if I'm not going to the gym in which case it gets larger. I consistently deadlift and squat every week and my waist doesn't budge. With that being said i almost wish it would because I imagine the weight it would take for my waist to actually thicken would be accompanied by ridiculous growth in my glutes and upper back that would be well worth it.

In my opinion an extremely small waist (dennis wolf) a lot of times, not all the time, is a sign of bad lower back development which if I were a judge I'd probably take points off for. I think it's one of the reasons Branch Warren tends to place high often. As much as people say he's blocky you have to admit he has ridiculous muscle development. Bodybuilders should have small waists but they shouldn't lack lower back development.

hell no!! if it would be the case why dont old school bodybuilders from back in the day have huge waist.

Even if they did, the benefits of both far outweigh the marginal negatives of having a slightly wider waist.

I have trouble buying pants and I'm not even big in the lower body.

Everything grows from heavy deadlifts, even my hands swell and feet get wider.lol

Staff online

• Bio
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
rh8767
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner