over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Tanning/Tanning Beds... Safe or Not?

How'd they determine that's what she got it from?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

**broken link removed**

There u go! It became big news over here in Oz about the dangers.

For starters, the worst thing you can do is get burned, from the sun or the bed!!! I prefer the sun, in the summer months I'm at the beach weekly.. I use MT2 and a tanning bed, no problems and never get burned. I think it is healthier to be tan than pasty white, a tan protects you from more from getting burned.. just my opinion/observation.. And someone who has been living 30 or 40 years isn't going to catch skin cancer from a couple months in a tanning bed..

For starters, the worst thing you can do is get burned, from the sun or the bed!!! I prefer the sun, in the summer months I'm at the beach weekly.. I use MT2 and a tanning bed, no problems and never get burned. I think it is healthier to be tan than pasty white, a tan protects you from more from getting burned.. just my opinion/observation.. And someone who has been living 30 or 40 years isn't going to catch skin cancer from a couple months in a tanning bed..

Well that link I have supply that Asian girl had 11 session on the sun bed and got diagnosed with cancer. Some people are prone to sun bed and some aren't I guess.

There's a BIG difference between UVA and UVB rays. They have beds with very specific design to provide almost pure UVB rays for the purpose of vit D synthesis. These beds barely get you tan, if at all. Then there are the cheap, burning, UVA beds that wreck your skin and get you burnt/tan. The key is a bed that has a balance of both, and minimizing exposure to amounts that maximize benefits and minimize risk - similar to spending some time in the sun.

Even if you spend time in the sun, depending on where you are geographically, you're not always going to get enough UVB for adequate D synthesis. This is why it helps to supplement with it.

Well that link I have supply that Asian girl had 11 session on the sun bed and got diagnosed with cancer. Some people are prone to sun bed and some aren't I guess.

My only thing is, we all, regardless of our skin color, have been sun burned in the past, or through genetics, have had moles and such passed down from our parents.. I think this is a bigger problem for white, or the lighter skin colors, people with naturally darker skin color seem to be less prone to skin problems.. Look at your middle eastern, and Brazilian people, very dark, they don't get sun burned, and to my knowledge have far less, if any with skin problems..
anyway, great thread, great responses...

I used a tanning bed for my contest prep in 2012 and have loss of pigmentation in the elbows as a result. I did not have it before, and I rarely stayed in long enough to turn pink as well. I will NOT be using beds again.

I used a tanning bed for my contest prep in 2012 and have loss of pigmentation in the elbows as a result. I did not have it before, and I rarely stayed in long enough to turn pink as well. I will NOT be using beds again.

I got tinea veriscolor from a tanning bed.. had to take Lamisil pills to make it go away

This was my 5th a typical mole removal with a 5mm margin so pretty big fucking cuts I used to tan a lot and that's what I attribute it too although I dose up on mt2 before vacations twice a year where I get baked in the sun so it's hard to say ... My rule is only natural sun never a sunbed

What is everyones views on tanning/tanning beds in general. There are ENDLESS articles if you do a quick google search on how bad tanning beds can actually be by causing melanoma. Most dermatologists seem to agree that tanning in general whether it be in a bed or outside is bad. Then there are dermatologists that suggest that some tanning is beneficial as long as you don't get burned.

Interestingly enough, I found an article supporting tanning and even tanning beds, of course in moderation. I am talking to those of us who use it once a week or build a tan and then just maintain it. Not abusing or overusing.

Thoughts??? :)

**broken link removed**

I think its like everything else really. Dont abuse it,,,go in moderation.
Dont get obssessed with being tan.

[lang=de]big anti sun/tan hype going. be smart and dont believe this bs. sun is essential for every life on earth. good vitamin d levels= no flu, no joint problems, no depression.

but maybe u like the little pills from the pharma industry more then natural sun.[/lang]

Thank you for touching on this as this was my main concern. Isn't the problem when you do get burned. However those of us who tan INFREQUENTLY and build it up slowly over a period of time and use lets say MT2, is it ultatimely really that bad? I am just not sold on it yet. I think those who get melanoma either abuse the shit out of the sun or beds, or there genetically predisposed...thoughts?

Thank you Alin, this is what I was thinking as well. I think that key words is infrequently... but dermatologists can go both ways so its hard to actually know.

I think its like everything else really. Dont abuse it,,,go in moderation.
Dont get obssessed with being tan.

You Greek Malaka?

Anyway I have to agree with you, I am thinking about finding a tanning bed that supports UVB rays and supplement with MT2. Tan infrequently possibly once a week if that just to maintain some color.

There's a BIG difference between UVA and UVB rays. They have beds with very specific design to provide almost pure UVB rays for the purpose of vit D synthesis. These beds barely get you tan, if at all. Then there are the cheap, burning, UVA beds that wreck your skin and get you burnt/tan. The key is a bed that has a balance of both, and minimizing exposure to amounts that maximize benefits and minimize risk - similar to spending some time in the sun.

Even if you spend time in the sun, depending on where you are geographically, you're not always going to get enough UVB for adequate D synthesis. This is why it helps to supplement with it.

I always think its funny when bodybuilders talk about things that are unsafe like tanning beds... Like anything is healthy in the bodybuilding life style... lol

Lol right?

I think key here is moderation and infrequent tanning whether it be a bed or sun light.

That's what I'm taking away from the responses which have all been great :)

I always think its funny when bodybuilders talk about things that are unsafe like tanning beds... Like anything is healthy in the bodybuilding life style... lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How do you get your vitamin D ? No supplement can come close to what the sun provides. Some sun exposure is a necessity for good health.

My vitamin D levels are high normal from supplementing with gel caps daily. I get them checked twice yearly. If your supplement isn't doing the trick, take more.

Ok, so tanning beds are bad for you, like just about anything else in excess. That being said, can anyone chime in on the use of Melanotan 2 peptide to possibly reduce the amount of exposure needed for our base tans?

NO, not in excess, in ANY AMOUNT. All tanning, in any amount, even a little bit, is mutagenic to skin cells, causes DNA damage, and increases cancer risk. Just like smoking in moderation is bad, tanning in moderation is bad. The more you do it, the worse it is, but any amount is bad. And it's even worse when you're young.

Yup, and most of those humans were covered with more hair and had darker skin, so lower rates, and they also didn't bake out in the sun trying to get tan. Moreover, you have no idea how many of them could have died from things early in life. Do you have any idea what lifespans were? Your comment is ridiculous and frankly, asinine.

Don't be so ridiculous. Humans evolved living outside in sunlight over the last 2 million years, hunting, gathering, performing daily task, etc.

==================================

Does sunlight prevent cancer? A systematic review. [Eur J Cancer. 2006] - PubMed - NCBI

Research From 100+ Countries Proves Sunlight Prevents Cancer

**broken link removed**

Wait . . . WHAT? Sunlight Prevents Cancer??? | The Mommypotamus |

Sun Exposure Benefits May Outweigh Risks Say Scientists - Medical News Today

I've been called a tanoholic, more then once.

Yup, and most of those humans were covered with more hair and had darker skin, so lower rates, and they also didn't bake out in the sun trying to get tan. Moreover, you have no idea how many of them could have died from things early in life. Do you have any idea what lifespans were? Your comment is ridiculous and frankly, asinine.

Your comments show your complete lack of knowledge on the subject. Go ahead, ignore the scientific evidence, just make up shit as you go. You need to brush up on your science Mr asinine. :D

"Gurven and Kaplan – had the bright idea to look at ethnographic studies on actual, living HG populations and analyze the available data on actual lifespan and mortality... 

From age 45, the mean number of expected remaining years of life is 20.7, 19.8, and 24.6 for hunter-gatherers, forager-horticulturalists, and acculturated hunter-gatherers, respectively. Give or take a few years, they could all “expect” to live about two decades if they were still alive by age 45 – a far cry from a “nasty, short, and brutish” existence....

...we can glean a few things that relate directly to our interests. First, it demolishes the common refrain that hunter-gatherers all die young. Average life expectancy is marred by infant mortality rates, and it’s clear that hunter-gatherers –the closest analogues to our Paleolithic ancestors – can and do enjoy “modern” lifespans with an average modal age of 72 years....

...they propose that the human potential for longevity is not a product of modern living; instead, it appears to be a genetic characteristic shared by all Homo sapiens."

Read more: Life Expectancy in Hunter-Gatherers | Mark's Daily Apple

Staff online

• Bio
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
rh8767
NapsGear