over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Training Quads/Hams on different days vs. same day

1badboy

Registered
This thread on best hamstring exercise

http://www.professionalmuscle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36674

got me thinking- I've been training quads and hamstrings on seperate days as to try to have most amount of energy for them. For quads I do front squats and leg press or hacks, without going past parallel to keep quads doing most of work. Then on hammies day I'll do SLDL and seated or lying leg curls.

What do you guys prefer- doing quads/hams on same day, or splitting it up? I like going deep in squats / leg press but I get much more glute development when I do that, and that is not what I want.

I would appreciate your input.

I love splitting up the two. I started doing this about a year ago or so and the results have been great.

I found that after I did squats or leg press, my hams were pretty tired and I was not able to train them to the extent I needed to make them grow. Since splitting the two, I have noticed more growth in my hamstrings than anything but thats what I needed. I also pair my hamstrings with shoulders on the same day.

If time allows I do a double split for the day. Train quads at say noon and then come back at 8 pm and do Hamstrings and calves. The difference is night and day as opposed to training them in the same session.

How would you go about splitting the two on different days? Which excercises would you chose and how many days apart?

My split

I do a 4-day split, workout everyother day, and 2 days in a row when I feel strong, so I hit each bodypart once a week. Generally there will be 3-4 days between quads and hamstrings-

Day 1: Quads/Biceps
Day 2: Back/Traps/Calves
Day 3: Hamstrings/Triceps
Day 4: Chest/Shoulders

I throw in abs maybe 2x / week and add another day of calves if possible.

Legs, twice a week 3 days apart! Leg training is leg training. If you are squatting with enough intensity and using the hams then train hams with the other movements then your hams are getting plenty of work. I have always trained legs as one unit!

I am currently using RazorCut's Ultimate Hypertrophy Training posted in the articles forum and i'm getting great results from it. It boils down to a 4 day split between bodyparts. I do deep squats all the way down with leg extensions, and then straight leg dead lifts with leg curls. Im getting awesome results. But you've really just gotta try different things and find out what works best for you....

Legs, twice a week 3 days apart! Leg training is leg training. If you are squatting with enough intensity and using the hams then train hams with the other movements then your hams are getting plenty of work. I have always trained legs as one unit!

Well, no, it's quads seven days apart, and hamstrings seven days apart. I can't really compare with you as you seem to have tree-trunks for legs that are one of your genetically-gifted areas.

Of course I have tried doing legs all on same day, and tried more frequency (every 4 days) but as I get older I don't have quite the energy I once had and I have lots of hip/knee/back pain (just being honest- I'm 46 years old).

But I will try putting legs on their own day and see if I can get a new growth spurt. Thanks!

I actully perfer to train this on different days...So my split looks like this most weeks...

Mon - Back, abs
Tues - Chest, calves
Wens- Quads, some hams (maybe ?)
Thurs- Delts, abs
Fri- Bis and Tri's
Sat- Hams, calves

I guess I say maybe on Wens, quad day cause I like to do my leg presses with my feet up higher on the leg press...Plus, I might do some type of lung movement which I feel hits some hams if you go super deep...So it kinda goes all togehter...But on ham day on Saturday, I do lying ham curls, standing leg curls and stiff leg deads...I might even do some more high ham presses on the leg press if I feel im up to it...

Maybe this is to much, but it seems to work for me

chris

I actully perfer to train this on different days...So my split looks like this most weeks...

Mon - Back, abs
Tues - Chest, calves
Wens- Quads, some hams (maybe ?)
Thurs- Delts, abs
Fri- Bis and Tri's
Sat- Hams, calves

I guess I say maybe on Wens, quad day cause I like to do my leg presses with my feet up higher on the leg press...Plus, I might do some type of lung movement which I feel hits some hams if you go super deep...So it kinda goes all togehter...But on ham day on Saturday, I do lying ham curls, standing leg curls and stiff leg deads...I might even do some more high ham presses on the leg press if I feel im up to it...

Maybe this is to much, but it seems to work for me

chris

Chris-

Your routine sounds like a split I've done before- I really like to train 6+ days a week as it helps me mentally too- the weights are my Prozac. I just get too anal about what hits hams when I'm trying to focus on quads- and I can see you know what I mean when you say "some hams (maybe ?)"

I guess I'm going to try training quads/hams together for a few weeks- as I am going lower volume I may be able to handle it.

BTW- You are looking great and keep progressing every year- I wish you the best in your contest season.

Ass-to-grass squats, here I come...

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Atomgear
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity