over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Training to Failure

deadliftdeez

Registered
Newbies
What's your prefered style of training?

Multiple "working sets" or "Top sets" to failure per movement?

1 Failure set per movement?

Everything to failure fuck my CNS

Sometimes one.

Usually two.

Rarely three and never more than.

No ‘work sets’, warm-up? All sets to failure but not the failure of twenty years ago. Why? That ship has sailed 🙁

Usually one isolation movement and one compound movement per body part.

Reps, 10 - 20.

Usually same weight all sets per body part.

3 days a week. Total body.

Usually under one one hour.

Myself personally don’t go to failure very often at all. Never really had to in order to grow. I will incorporate it periodically if I have the extra gas in the tank and really wanna push things!

Cage

Usually last 1-2 working sets per exercise are to failure. 10 reps add more weight until 10 reps cannot be achieved. If failure is at 8 reps(4-6 on squats) I add more weight. Probably 5 exercises per body part with 4-5 sets each so 20-25 sets per body part. In the gym about 2 hours not including cardio. Bro split

1 Rest pause set so a total of 4 mini sets to failure per body part. Exept for back it gets 2 of the above.

Lagging muscles get an additional hard high rep set of 20-30 reps with a pause at the stretch.

In my growing years i took all sets to as close to failure as i could. Just depends on how bad i was willing to let my form get. Planning to not push myself as hard as i could was just not an option. These days form says good all the way through and when i doubt i call that failure.

After I warm up, I go to failure or right near it on every work set without bringing in other muscle groups to complete the set. I never lose form or jerk the weights. Approximately 15-20 work sets once a week. I have found this works best for me to add muscle size. Adding maximal strength requires fewer sets and reps.

Depending on the body part I'll do 1-2 sets to failure. Generally quads and hams will get 2 sets , a movement like leg press then leg extensions

A max intensity/failure set for me is when I can't get another rep with good form , I'll then drop weight and continue.
Now days my max weight is a 3 second negative ,1 second stretch , rapid contraction followed by a 1 second squeeze. My joints rebel if I use more weight or reps to reach maximum intensity.

Now , I'm not trying to grow must anymore either sooo

I normally will do dropsets by default, still slow motion on ALL even on the light, annoying "should I be doing this" light warmup

flood desired muscle group and saturate with blood.

something like this

15, 12, 10, 8 , 6-4

I’ve watch tons of pros and top amateurs train and very few go to failure even though they claim they do .
I've said this repeatedly.. people sometimes have a much different version of failure than I do.. I hear many say they go to failure but if you put a gun to their head they have a couple more in them.. this is why I do not agree with the REPS IN RESERVE theory.. if a person " thinks" they just went to failure but had two more in them then what is their 2 reps in reserve ? It's actually 4 reps in reserve.. so the best thing to do is go to " failure " or at least what you think is failure lol.. many are truly short changing their sessions

Man its too bad that dumb fuck baphomet/Rir0/nlm isn't still here to shove his "expert" opinion down everyone's throat and tell us all how dumb we are. He got a PhD in training to failure. What he needed was a PhD in tact and the ability to leave his insecurities at the door.

Anywho, this is an interesting thread and I do like to see opinions on training to failure. Not so much from the jackass I mentioned but from the rest of the group here, sure.

I can't really say I train to failure these days at least IMO because I don't consistently have a spotter and I believe in order to train to failure, a spotter is a must.

In my growing years i took all sets to as close to failure as i could. Just depends on how bad i was willing to let my form get. Planning to not push myself as hard as i could was just not an option. These days form says good all the way through and when i doubt i call that failure.
In my youth I didn't care as much about form and it did lead to some injuries. I agree keeping form is important even if it means you can't put up as much weight.

1 Rest pause set so a total of 4 mini sets to failure per body part. Exept for back it gets 2 of the above.

Lagging muscles get an additional hard high rep set of 20-30 reps with a pause at the stretch.
I like this.

Currently I'm doing 1 rest pause set, then one drop set. Per week for each part. Then I'm focusing on bringing up shoulders so they are getting a lot more.

Man its too bad that dumb fuck baphomet/Rir0/nlm isn't still here to shove his "expert" opinion down everyone's throat and tell us all how dumb we are. He got a PhD in training to failure. What he needed was a PhD in tact and the ability to leave his insecurities at the door.

Anywho, this is an interesting thread and I do like to see opinions on training to failure. Not so much from the jackass I mentioned but from the rest of the group here, sure.

I can't really say I train to failure these days at least IMO because I don't consistently have a spotter and I believe in order to train to failure, a spotter is a must.
I hear what you’re saying. What I’ve done is reserve going to failure on the machines for any exercise that can put me in any danger. For example, I’ll use chest press or DB press instead of bench press because I don’t want to get stuck under the bar.

I like this.

Currently I'm doing 1 rest pause set, then one drop set. Per week for each part. Then I'm focusing on bringing up shoulders so they are getting a lot more.

My workout is a modded DC 2 way. So everything gets hit twice a week. Anything lagging gets hit with a 20rep set that has a good stretch that's paused for 3-5count. Hit failure around 20reps drop the weight and get 10 more. I do a lot of cardio and still recover well.

I've said this repeatedly.. people sometimes have a much different version of failure than I do.. I hear many say they go to failure but if you put a gun to their head they have a couple more in them.. this is why I do not agree with the REPS IN RESERVE theory.. if a person " thinks" they just went to failure but had two more in them then what is their 2 reps in reserve ? It's actually 4 reps in reserve.. so the best thing to do is go to " failure " or at least what you think is failure lol.. many are truly short changing their sessions
This pretty much nails it.

Definitely. Years ago when i was a trainer people would ask how many reps they should do. I would say till you fail. When they would stop and say they failed i would tell them they had at least 2 more reps in them. As they did not know what failure actually felt like. And the next set they would get 2 more reps. Starting to struggle or feel heavy is not failure. When i would have to roll the bar down my torso after not being able to do another rep in the bench press and over the roll of flab that i was pushing in front of the bar and the ensuing discomfort when i had to roll it over that roll and weight belt. I figured i was close to failure as that hurt and i hated doing that and tried to avoid it the best i could.

(y)

Failure.

As an aside, this young man I have been training with, I usually have him
start the workout with 3 sets of 20 deep squats with safety bar at the
bottom to catch him. He squats like a piston in a cylinder, perfect form
and he likes to do them. Go figure. On Monday, new weight. First two sets
were killing him. Last set he saw God (or the Devil), got 20, the last rep
took him 8 seconds to go from ass to the grass to standing with perform!
(I could have had him do one last rep, pure negative but I took it easy
on him.) He racked the bar and hit the ground like I hit him in the head
with my blackjack. He laid in a puddle of sweat trying to catch his breadth,
his legs were shaking, could not walk for about 5 minutes, had a headache
for 15 minutes. He said that was the hardest he has worked at anything
in the last ten years of his life.

That is close enough to failure for me.

No small surprise he called in sick today :(

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics