over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Training to Failure

Oversimplified: take a weight, do one set to failure. Do it again a couple days later, same weight. Stick with that weight until you can get 30 reps. Then increase the weight and start the process over.
30? Damn that's alot of reps to shoot for I could never be patient enough to get to 30 reps before adding weight

(y)

Failure.

As an aside, this young man I have been training with, I usually have him
start the workout with 3 sets of 20 deep squats with safety bar at the
bottom to catch him. He squats like a piston in a cylinder, perfect form
and he likes to do them. Go figure. On Monday, new weight. First two sets
were killing him. Last set he saw God (or the Devil), got 20, the last rep
took him 8 seconds to go from ass to the grass to standing with perform!
(I could have had him do one last rep, pure negative but I took it easy
on him.) He racked the bar and hit the ground like I hit him in the head
with my blackjack. He laid in a puddle of sweat trying to catch his breadth,
his legs were shaking, could not walk for about 5 minutes, had a headache
for 15 minutes. He said that was the hardest he has worked at anything
in the last ten years of his life.

That is close enough to failure for me.

No small surprise he called in sick today :(
I puked in my homeys car on the way home grom gym last week it was gross. During the rain, it was almost as if the protein shake i drank an hour before didnt digest at all. had full workout + saauna showered everything bro. Drove up hill and my heart wouldn't chill pretty sure i was too stimmmed out , made most of it outside 0nly a tiny inside lool

30? Damn that's alot of reps to shoot for I could never be patient enough to get to 30 reps before adding weight

You have to go watch Dante do this set. It’s not a regular set.

You take a weight that you would fail at ~15 reps if you did it continuously. So your leg pressing 4 plates you hit rep 16 and your not sure you can get another. You DO NOT rack it. You keep it locked out with soft knees…you take 4-5 deep breaths….and rep out 6 more….you don’t rack….4/5 more Breaths….knock out 4 more reps….4-5 breaths…4 more reps…..and so on until you hit 30 reps or when you’d get buried with another attempt. It’s like a 4 minute long set if done correctly.

It you get more Than 25 reps, and a 25lb plate next week and repeat. With the new weight you keep that weight until you break 25 reps.

This has to be the last exercise of the day, and even if you could do anything else afterwards, you did it wrong.

Dante leg day example doing this hell set…

Calves….(haha you know your not gonna do calves today)
Lying leg curls…1 RP set (or topset backoff if you don’t like RP training)
Squat pattern…squats, smith squat, hacks…whatever…6-8 reps, then a 10-12 rep set
Hip hinge….RDLs, GMs, SLDL, 2 working sets
*LEG press death set*

Go die in Locker room

You take a weight that you would fail at ~15 reps if you did it continuously. So your leg pressing 4 plates you hit rep 16 and your not sure you can get another. You DO NOT rack it. You keep it locked out with soft knees…you take 4-5 deep breaths….and rep out 6 more….you don’t rack….4/5 more Breaths….knock out 4 more reps….4-5 breaths…4 more reps…..and so on until you hit 30 reps or when you’d get buried with another attempt. It’s like a 4 minute long set if done correctly.

It you get more Than 25 reps, and a 25lb plate next week and repeat. With the new weight you keep that weight until you break 25 reps.

This has to be the last exercise of the day, and even if you could do anything else afterwards, you did it wrong.

Squat pattern…squats, smith squat, hacks…whatever…6-8 reps, then a 10-12 rep set
*LEG press death set*

Go die in Locker room
I've heard this one, this would be the DC Widowmaker I believe.

The one ninety HGH Is saying Is different I think. You use the same weight in one continuous set untill you can do a straight set of 30. Then add weight.

I had never heard that version

If you really want get crazy do 100 rep sets . Do as many as you can do then rest the number of seconds of reps you have left and continue til you teach 100

If you really want get crazy do 100 rep sets . Do as many as you can do then rest the number of seconds of reps you have left and continue til you teach 100
This. I actually started this a few weeks ago as a finisher to get extra voulme. Y raises for side, face pulls for rear, oh kettle bells press for front.

I've heard this one, this would be the DC Widowmaker I believe.

The one ninety HGH Is saying Is different I think. You use the same weight in one continuous set untill you can do a straight set of 30. Then add weight.

I had never heard that version
No I think it's the same thing as what he described, I was just giving a simplified description as someone who only has read Dante and heard from people who try his methods.

I

*LEG press death set*

Go die in Locker room
I'm familiar w DC widowmaker but I wasn't aware of using that set as a guide to increase the weight next session. Taking to 30 is new to me but everyone is modifying DC anyway

I

I'm familiar w DC widowmaker but I wasn't aware of using that set as a guide to increase the weight next session. Taking to 30 is new to me but everyone is modifying DC anyway

This has always been the DC widowmaker. 20-50 reps on bodyparts other than legs you use an exercise with a good stretch and pause in the stretch position. Legs like juggy38 said. You can get 10 more reps and then add weight or add 2.5 and try for the same reps.

I've said this repeatedly.. people sometimes have a much different version of failure than I do.. I hear many say they go to failure but if you put a gun to their head they have a couple more in them.. this is why I do not agree with the REPS IN RESERVE theory.. if a person " thinks" they just went to failure but had two more in them then what is their 2 reps in reserve ? It's actually 4 reps in reserve.. so the best thing to do is go to " failure " or at least what you think is failure lol.. many are truly short changing their sessions
LATS you bring up a very valid point. Most people who think they are training to failure often leave “reps in reserve”, especially while training more demanding muscle groups like the LATS & LEGS. I can train arms to failure for many sets because the exercises aren’t as fatiguing or dangerous. But training the quads and lats to failure is extremely difficult and very demanding on the entire body. In comparison to other muscle groups/smaller muscle groups, it takes fewer sets and/or less intensity to get my LATS & LEGS sore. These larger muscle groups also take longer for me to recover from.

This has always been the DC widowmaker. 20-50 reps on bodyparts other than legs you use an exercise with a good stretch and pause in the stretch position. Legs like juggy38 said. You can get 10 more reps and then add weight or add 2.5 and try for the same reps.

Yea I was just explaining the leg press set that Dante made a very specific instagram post about.

I think Dante knew most have heard of the 20 rep squat widowmaker. I think he just wanted to line out how to program a quad widowmaker with a leg press.and how to progress it.

I puked in my homeys car on the way home grom gym last week it was gross. During the rain, it was almost as if the protein shake i drank an hour before didnt digest at all. had full workout + saauna showered everything bro. Drove up hill and my heart wouldn't chill pretty sure i was too stimmmed out , made most of it outside 0nly a tiny inside lool
Anybody who has kids who’ve spewed in their car or split milk knows that smell ain’t never coming out!

The only time I have puked during exercise is my senior year in college. I had went down to Panama City beach with teammates, and got into a little scuffle with a bouncer that was just being a douche because I think myself and my teammates made his pecker feel smaller. Long story short I ended up with a severe boxers fracture in my hand and spent the night in jail. My drunk ass called my runningback coach crying that night 😂

Anyways when I got home and spring practice started I had a cast and for the first practice he pulled me to the side and He made me run gassers until I was in the fetal position puking.

Oh to be young and dumb.

I prefer training to failure it’s my personality but I do believe it’s not necessary to grow .

The Barbarian Bros were my inspiration as a kid. Them and the pro-rasslers the Road Warriors (Legion of Doom). My buddy and I drove from OC to Venice just to watch the Barbarians workout at Golds Gym. We bought tee-shirts, stood in the lobby area and just watched them. One of them picked his nose and wiped the boogar under the bench, then looked at us and smiled.
I FUCKING LOVED the road warriors (LOD). They motivated me to get as big as I possibly could.

Now a days I go to FORM FAILURE, the older I get the easier I get injured so I go until my form starts getting fucked then I'm done. I watch most people go to failure and they are incorporating way more than the target muscle to push themselves further to get to that failing point.

Now a days I go to FORM FAILURE, the older I get the easier I get injured so I go until my form starts getting fucked then I'm done. I watch most people go to failure and they are incorporating way more than the target muscle to push themselves further to get to that failing point.
Exactly!

Anybody who has kids who’ve spewed in their car or split milk knows that smell ain’t never coming out!
As a guy who has five kids and also a hunter I can highly recommend getting Unscented ScentKiller from Hunter Specialties. It works!

German volume training? That would be the opposite of high intensity failure and behind training wouldn't it?

Or your saying rotate it in between low volume high intensity blocks?
At the end of a workout but if you’ve ever done it the way I was taught was 10 sets of 10 with 30 seconds or less tween sets and take the final set til you drop. Every time I do that whatever I trained is fucked for like 4 days. Like can’t hold my phone to my ear fucked.

I prefer training to failure it’s my personality but I do believe it’s not necessary to grow .
I've always wrote that.. your training must follow your personality and lifestyle.. if your a laid back guy who just doesn't generate alot of intensity then higher volume , short of failure training is the routine.. im a guy who loses interest real quick. I want to get in. Tear it up. Get out. Low volume.. failure training. Form must be perfect as I'm anal as hell about it. A couple sets then move on. I've tried higher volume and my boredom just killed me.

Staff online

• Bio
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
rh8767
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner