over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

venting, is anyonelse like this?

How did you modify it? I'd think to get a little more arms..for those who want to bring them up

Mon - chest 9 sets, 3 sets Tris
Tur back 9 sets, 3 sets bi
W legs 6 quads, 6 hams
Th off
Fri arms 6 bi 6 tri
Sat delts, 6 sets front, side, rear (each)
Sun- off

I'd assume this is a standard modified bro split with moderate volume (not risking too low but not risking ovetrain)

This is how I was taught many years ago

Here’s what I did this week….

M - Shoulders/Traps/Abs
T - Quads/Calves
W - Chest/Abs
Th - Back/Bi’s
F - Tri’s/Hams/Calves/Abs

Usually 4-6 sets total per muscle with 8-12 reps. Super controlled movements. 5-8 second negatives, hard squeeze throughout. Also, I’m doing AM cardio of 30min first thing upon waking. Then my weighted workout is in the evenings around 4-5pm.

I’ll do this one week, then the following week I’ll incorporate drop sets, and supersets.

Not the traditional bro split, but I look at like a bro split.

Cage

Here’s what I did this week….

M - Shoulders/Traps/Abs
T - Quads/Calves
W - Chest/Abs
Th - Back/Bi’s
F - Tri’s/Hams/Calves/Abs

Usually 4-6 sets total per muscle with 8-12 reps. Super controlled movements. 5-8 second negatives, hard squeeze throughout. Also, I’m doing AM cardio of 30min first thing upon waking. Then my weighted workout is in the evenings around 4-5pm.

I’ll do this one week, then the following week I’ll incorporate drop sets, and supersets.

Not the traditional bro split, but I look at like a bro split.

Cage
Looks like you set it up this way to put more emphasis on legs?

Yep! Im putting a lil more emphasis on my legs for the next few months. Been enjoying this particular routine for the last few weeks.

Cage

I started training around 2002, back then there were some routines or systems (GVT, 5x5, HST) but it seemed like most people just did a bro split and sets were taken to failure. Now over the years there are more routines, more "optimal" ones, were hearing more about high volume, RIR, RPE, it seems like if you use a bro split and train to failure your looked at as a neanderthal.

I like to optimize things like everyonelse but also realize it frustrates me. I posted that thread about nipped sale training, but settled on creating a PPL (pretty basic) similar to Creeping Death and PHAt. Basically PPLPPL, one push day is progression go shit heavy to failure, then the next day is more about a "pump". I included muscle rounds for some exercises from fortitude, was excited.

Day 3 im doing my push pump day not going to failure, being careful not to, using a stopwatch to take 1 minute between sets on the pump day, but still train hard I lost it, slammed the dumbbells down walked out I didn't want to train that way.

Is there anyonelse who (one or both)

1. You don't like to train if its not to failure? Your just wired to train to failure and cant get into pump sets, RIR, RPE?

2. You just like to do a bro-split and just smash one body part to failure then head home? M-Chest,T-Back,W-Legs, Th-delts, F-arms.

Sorry just venting. I try to learn new things, optimize, keep it simple but consider the science, but I only want to train to failure and I feel like Each day I need to focus on one part and crush it. Im sure we have others that still train like this or am I the only one?
I prefer both of the mindets/methods of training thst you are describing. It has nothing to do with being old school when trining the way you have been training basically for the durtion gets you results

At the end of the day if you are training hard and consistently you will see results. I'd even argue there isn't a huge span of difference between a 100% optimal training program and a very, very average setup as long as you are consistent.

Even a bro split doesn't have to be that "bro-ish". The knock on bro splits is you only hit each bodypart once a week but that isn't always really the case. My old "bro split" was below (when I could go to the gym 5 days a week)

Monday: Back primarily but also quads, hams, and bi's with deadlifts and the back movements
Tuesday: Chest primarily but shoulders and triceps secondarily
Wednesday: Legs primarily but lower back gets work and even upper back with front squats or back with RDL's, etc.
Thursday: Shoulders primarily but also will secondarily touch chest and tri's
Friday: Arms primarily but will secondarily hit chest and back depending on what you do (chins, close grip bench, etc.)

My point is, even with the bro-est of bro splits you can finagle exercises to hit other bodyparts, even secondarily to provide more than one stimulus a week so morale of the story is don't feel bad man...do it.

I've always liked training everything once per week, I only like to be in the gym 3 days per week, 4 max. Very low volume, low rep, last set of each movement is beyond failure (first positive failure, then negative, then static). This is the only way that feels enjoyable to me, I've tried 8-12 "pump reps" and I just can't, my mind wanders during the sets, the fun for me is the intense focus required to do a heavy set of 4-8 reps.

I also greatly disagree with the whole training your muscle twice per week thing that has become popular now, your muscle has a limit to which it will grow (depending on outside PED assistance obviously), once you reach that limit.... it's not like if you've been training 10 years and have 17 inch arms lean, you're suddenly going to have 17.5 inch arms because you start training twice per week. Muscle is stupid, if you are honest with yourself and truly train hard (which everyone here likely does), I see no reason for all these fancy routines and trying to re-invent things, you're going to be as big as you can possibly be.

Hell at this point , I don't what the hell I'm going to do until I get there. What was I saying?? Must be getting senile.;) Uh oh yeah I'm 54.......

I have found i respond well to a blended approach. I have a set where ill do say DB incline...feeder sets to a nice 12 rep set. Then another 12 rep set....Last set go to failure so it might look like 12,12, 14.....add weight. The next week it might look like 12,12,8. Stay at that weight untill you get 12+ again. You get sufficient working volume with the sub max sets, then really get to drive intensity on the last set.

Im 49, so, I have a hard time not going to failure on at least some sets. But WAY fewer now that I'm on only TRT. Just can't recover. And God forbid I start lowering calories to cut or have a week of work stress (neurological) or something. Recovery takes forever.

That said, what got me biggest and strongest (oly lifting and track and field days) was 5 sets of 5 reps or less (5x3, 3x3 etc) , Monday, Wed, Friday. On lifts you really cant go to failure on by their nature. Heavy as possible.

Started the season with Monday, 5x5 Squats, Wed 5x5 Bench, Friday 5x5 Deads (moved to cleans then mixed cleans / Snatches as the season got later and I had to get quicker). Obviously a lot of mobility and sprint, plyo work outside.

Got strong as fuck and explosive. And 273lbs, no AAS.

I've always liked training everything once per week, I only like to be in the gym 3 days per week, 4 max. Very low volume, low rep, last set of each movement is beyond failure (first positive failure, then negative, then static). This is the only way that feels enjoyable to me, I've tried 8-12 "pump reps" and I just can't, my mind wanders during the sets, the fun for me is the intense focus required to do a heavy set of 4-8 reps.

I also greatly disagree with the whole training your muscle twice per week thing that has become popular now, your muscle has a limit to which it will grow (depending on outside PED assistance obviously), once you reach that limit.... it's not like if you've been training 10 years and have 17 inch arms lean, you're suddenly going to have 17.5 inch arms because you start training twice per week. Muscle is stupid, if you are honest with yourself and truly train hard (which everyone here likely does), I see no reason for all these fancy routines and trying to re-invent things, you're going to be as big as you can possibly be.
100% this imo. The way the several times per week for a bodypart is espoused, some people seem to believe you’ll see double the growth or similar!

100% this imo. The way the several times per week for a bodypart is espoused, some people seem to believe you’ll see double the growth or similar!
If only that were true 🙂

Double the wear and tear on your joints is more probable 🤣

If only that were true 🙂

Double the wear and tear on your joints is more probable 🤣

The main drivers of hypertrophy are mechanical tension and progressive overload. Strength gains and the ability to continually overload is much better on a higher frequency setup as an element of strength is that it’s a skill and the more you do something, the better you get at it. A caloric surplus and AAS will make any argument about getting better at a movement compromising hypertrophy moot. Detraining also occurs when there is too much time between sessions. If you can program to recover at the highest frequency possible, it would be in your best interest.

In every other lifting discipline (powerlifting, Olympic lifting, Strongman etc.) almost all programs are at higher frequencies. And all these guys are the thickest people on the planet. A bodybuilder’s goal is to accrue as much muscle mass as possible and many who train like them complain about their results on the once per week format that they can’t get big and are on an endless search for some secret. Any conversation at a gym will confirm this. Meanwhile the other guys, whose goal isn’t muscle mass, seem to have it in spades and instead complain that they’re getting too big and have trouble staying in a weight class. Imagine not really wanting or caring about having muscle mass, but what you’re doing is throwing slabs of it on you?

I think a lot of people in this thread don't understand the real definition of failure. I'd wager not many of you are training to abject failure on any sort of regular basis.
Failure is 100% no fucking way you can do another single rep....as such I freely admit I don't train like that very often and sure as hell not more often than once a workout on a final set of an exercise.

.....I even tried not to sound assaholic there but it didn't work *shrug*
You don't sound asshole-ish at all. You're right. We had a thread on failure and it's not ever clear how much you have left in the tank. Average people in emergencies have moved weight reserved for the strongest powerlifters. They sure as hell blew past "failure" pushing a 2000 rock off them or lifting/rolling a 3000lb vehicle to release someone trapped.

With enough adrenaline and nor-adrenaline (an analgesic), who knows what you could do.

How much? Beyond enough to injure yourself, for sure. @emeric delczeg once said that "motivation can be your greatest enemy". It's our greatest strength but too much of it will burn you up.

I started training around 2002, back then there were some routines or systems (GVT, 5x5, HST) but it seemed like most people just did a bro split and sets were taken to failure. Now over the years there are more routines, more "optimal" ones, were hearing more about high volume, RIR, RPE, it seems like if you use a bro split and train to failure your looked at as a neanderthal.

I like to optimize things like everyonelse but also realize it frustrates me. I posted that thread about nipped sale training, but settled on creating a PPL (pretty basic) similar to Creeping Death and PHAt. Basically PPLPPL, one push day is progression go shit heavy to failure, then the next day is more about a "pump". I included muscle rounds for some exercises from fortitude, was excited.

Day 3 im doing my push pump day not going to failure, being careful not to, using a stopwatch to take 1 minute between sets on the pump day, but still train hard I lost it, slammed the dumbbells down walked out I didn't want to train that way.

Is there anyonelse who (one or both)

1. You don't like to train if its not to failure? Your just wired to train to failure and cant get into pump sets, RIR, RPE?

2. You just like to do a bro-split and just smash one body part to failure then head home? M-Chest,T-Back,W-Legs, Th-delts, F-arms.

Sorry just venting. I try to learn new things, optimize, keep it simple but consider the science, but I only want to train to failure and I feel like Each day I need to focus on one part and crush it. Im sure we have others that still train like this or am I the only one?
Currently I do one muscle or group per day. I train until I’m done, which means I instinctively do as much as I feel is best for that day.
Sunday: chest
Monday: biceps and triceps
Tuesday: delts and traps
Wednesday: off
Thursday: legs and calves
Friday: back/lats

The main drivers of hypertrophy are mechanical tension and progressive overload. Strength gains and the ability to continually overload is much better on a higher frequency setup as an element of strength is that it’s a skill and the more you do something, the better you get at it. A caloric surplus and AAS will make any argument about getting better at a movement compromising hypertrophy moot. Detraining also occurs when there is too much time between sessions. If you can program to recover at the highest frequency possible, it would be in your best interest.

In every other lifting discipline (powerlifting, Olympic lifting, Strongman etc.) almost all programs are at higher frequencies. And all these guys are the thickest people on the planet. A bodybuilder’s goal is to accrue as much muscle mass as possible and many who train like them complain about their results on the once per week format that they can’t get big and are on an endless search for some secret. Any conversation at a gym will confirm this. Meanwhile the other guys, whose goal isn’t muscle mass, seem to have it in spades and instead complain that they’re getting too big and have trouble staying in a weight class. Imagine not really wanting or caring about having muscle mass, but what you’re doing is throwing slabs of it on you?
But regardless of their training frequency, the bigger guys would always be the bigger guys and vice versa. I think that's mainly what me and Golden are saying.

It's true what you said about getting stronger quicker on a higher training frequency though, I've always experienced that myself as well. But it never translated into more growth for me, rather the opposite.

How did you modify it? I'd think to get a little more arms..for those who want to bring them up

Mon - chest 9 sets, 3 sets Tris
Tur back 9 sets, 3 sets bi
W legs 6 quads, 6 hams
Th off
Fri arms 6 bi 6 tri
Sat delts, 6 sets front, side, rear (each)
Sun- off

I'd assume this is a standard modified bro split with moderate volume (not risking too low but not risking ovetrain)

This is how I was taught many years ago
Looks a lil light to me but you aren’t including rep ranges or if you’re hitting failure. 12 sets aintvshit, 12 sets to failure is though. But the split as far as what and when looks solid.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131