over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Why guys aren’t competing

Gotta do what you can afford, but I will say Andrew under charges significantly for his coaching and is month to month. Most top coaches are over double his rate and require a 6 month commitment and payment upfront.
I think I'll give him an e-mail a month or so into the school semester once I'm into the swing of things (priorities). But thats awesome to hear its month to month, I've seen one year commitments to make it even halfway affordable for myself.

Same reason why I compete… Because I’m insane and love it. I’m an extreme person so there are no half measures.

The simple answer is “because I can” if I am being honest. 😂😂

But despite how much money that truck cost me- the second you hit that pedal behind the wheel I remember why I built it and have it.

And then just like bodybuilding… I win another little plastic trophy and call it a day. 🤣

Same reason why I compete… Because I’m insane and love it. I’m an extreme person so there are no half measures.

The simple answer is “because I can” if I am being honest. 😂😂

But despite how much money that truck cost me- the second you hit that pedal behind the wheel I remember why I built it and have it.

And then just like bodybuilding… I win another little plastic trophy and call it a day. 🤣
Ohhh you actually race it, ok ok, i get it

If you don’t regret it then why wouldn’t you do it again? Or would you do it differently?

Genuinely asking out of personal curiosity. My point of this thread was to get all perspectives AND to get guys posting who haven’t been in a while or as much.

I personally feel we’ve got some of the wrong members posting more these days. It’s great getting perspective from the members like you and posting on topics.
Oh that's easy I wouldn't do it again because at my age I couldn't and wouldn't put my body through that stress

The diet the drug uses diuretics and the time consuming you have to put into it I don't have that time available like I did back in my days.

And I did it for fun because of my friends that competed.if it wasn't for them insisting that I would do it.I would of never even thought about it. It's was fun/exciting at the time but it's just not my thing now.im way older and look at life perfectives differently.I would incourage the young guys that have good genetic to try it though.

anyone who says "competing is about a trophy or 'plastic trophy' or a placing " has already lost before they even start. it is not a knock on them or anything like that, but it also could never be explained where they could understand. It is ok though, it's not for most, and most don't need to understand. Do the shit if you love it. If you are not passionate about the things you do in life...why do them?

anyone who says "competing is about a trophy or 'plastic trophy' or a placing " has already lost before they even start. it is not a knock on them or anything like that, but it also could never be explained where they could understand. It is ok though, it's not for most, and most don't need to understand. Do the shit if you love it. If you are not passionate about the things you do in life...why do them?
I 💯 agree with you. Hopefully you got the “sarcasm” in my above post. I was making fun of people who keep saying it’s about the “plastic trophy.” It has nothing to do with the plastic trophy.

Competing for me is about digging deep and learning something new about myself with every show. It’s about beating my last version of myself and has nothing to do with any other guy there. I could go on, but you get the point. Anyone who competes for a “participation trophy” isn’t a real competitive bodybuilder. We do this because we love this shit. It’s tied to our identity.

@Shelby in his video summarized it best. Now he may come on here and tell me he regrets it all, but I highly doubt he will. You can’t fake the passion him and John Meadows had.

The questioned asked by OP is why aren’t guys competing? Guys answered with many valid reasons for not competing. But then those that do compete started questioning the sincerity and dedication of those who choose to opt out.

Perhaps avoiding elitist attitudes of promoters and other competitors is the biggest reason of all for saying “No thank you” to the competition scene. Many people just want no part of it.

The questioned asked by OP is why aren’t guys competing? Guys answered with many valid reasons for not competing. But then those that do compete started questioning the sincerity and dedication of those who choose to opt out.

Perhaps avoiding elitist attitudes of promoters and other competitors is the biggest reason of all for saying “No thank you” to the competition scene. Many people just want no part of it.
Very valid point. I respect both sides and bodybuilding as a whole. There was no right or wrong answers in this thread. Just perspective.

I love the process. If someone told me I had to pick between competing or never being able to go to the gym and living this lifestyle… there’s no question about it. Competing would go. It’s about everything that leads up to that moment on stage.

Until about 4 years ago GA was terrible to compete in because of the promotors and some judges. Competitors would leave and compete in any state but here. It was very real and bad.

Since then things have turned 180 here and have some very respectable judges and promoters. This sport takes everything from you so to see anyone abuse that is just wrong.

Most guys don’t compete because they are verrrry far away from competition level size and leanness. There is massive difference between the big guy at your gym who u think is lean at 10% and a legit competitor. Everyone is also afraid to get lean because it makes u truly realize that u didn’t have thaat much muscle to begin with lol

For me, and I rarely compete and am a massive BBing fan, I just don’t have the structure and have injuries. Shoulder injuries have basically taken away my ability to hit certain poses. Sucks but it’s a reality. But every 3-5 years I go do something just as a gauge of where I am. “I was on stage at this weight, now I’m here.” The best indicator of progress ever is the stage and that’s 1000% the truth. I also enjoy the insane hard work and discipline. The grind. It’s Fuckin expensive, it’s hard work and you get almost nothing in return. But I always try to be the best version of myself. Could care less what another guy does. If I’m better than last time, last year, last workout. It’s a win.

Also, regardless of competing, farrrr too many guys don’t diet down enough at least for some part of the year. You want to fuckin grow? Diet down to 8% or under once a year and rebound out. You’ll get a ton of compliments at the gym, you’ll have an accurate measure of progress, and you’ll make the best tissue gains of your life. Too many permabulkers on here.

Most guys don’t compete because they are verrrry far away from competition level size and leanness. There is massive difference between the big guy at your gym who u think is lean at 10% and a legit competitor. Everyone is also afraid to get lean because it makes u truly realize that u didn’t have thaat much muscle to begin with lol
fuckin right!
For me, and I rarely compete and am a massive BBing fan, I just don’t have the structure and have injuries. Shoulder injuries have basically taken away my ability to hit certain poses. Sucks but it’s a reality. But every 3-5 years I go do something just as a gauge of where I am. “I was on stage at this weight, now I’m here.” The best indicator of progress ever is the stage and that’s 1000% the truth. I also enjoy the insane hard work and discipline. The grind. It’s Fuckin expensive, it’s hard work and you get almost nothing in return. But I always try to be the best version of myself. Could care less what another guy does. If I’m better than last time, last year, last workout. It’s a win.

Also, regardless of competing, farrrr too many guys don’t diet down enough at least for some part of the year. You want to fuckin grow? Diet down to 8% or under once a year and rebound out. You’ll get a ton of compliments at the gym, you’ll have an accurate measure of progress, and you’ll make the best tissue gains of your life. Too many permabulkers on here.
Duuude, for me personally doing 2 week minicuts has been a (we all hate this next phrase) GAME CHANGER

It’s the risk-to-reward thing.
The ranks are not filling out from the young like they did when I was coming up. Now, teenagers and young people will train and put their stuff on Instagram and that’s good enough for them.
They don’t want to go through the hassle of getting into contest shape, paying for an NPC card, hotel, Tanning, etc. There’s nothing “in it“ for them.

An influencer can make more money, with fewer expenses than an on-stage bodybuilder. The love of competing just isn’t there.

Sure I’m an “IFBB Pro” (which means almost dink, today) but I’ll likely never make a penny purely from competition. I compete because I love the process and the challenge to continue to better myself.

And now that I’m on this level, I’m likely not competing for a top spot. (maybe in my 45+…maybe), I’m competing to look my best. I think also, for me at this age, I’m REALLY embracing the whole “I’m doing this contest training/dieting thing and it’s hard and nobody that I know thats my age is still doing it” mindset. Almost a matter of doing it because even fewer people seem to be willing to do it.

I don’t know if any of that makes any sense, but it’s what’s bouncing around inside my head.

The ranks are not filling out from the young like they did when I was coming up. Now, teenagers and young people will train and put their stuff on Instagram and that’s good enough for them.
They don’t want to go through the hassle of getting into contest shape, paying for an NPC card, hotel, Tanning, etc. There’s nothing “in it“ for them.

An influencer can make more money, with fewer expenses than an on-stage bodybuilder. The love of competing just isn’t there.

Sure I’m an “IFBB Pro” (which means almost dink, today) but I’ll likely never make a penny purely from competition. I compete because I love the process and the challenge to continue to better myself.

And now that I’m on this level, I’m likely not competing for a top spot. (maybe in my 45+…maybe), I’m competing to look my best. I think also, for me at this age, I’m REALLY embracing the whole “I’m doing this contest training/dieting thing and it’s hard and nobody that I know thats my age is still doing it” mindset. Almost a matter of doing it because even fewer people seem to be willing to do it.

I don’t know if any of that makes any sense, but it’s what’s bouncing around inside my head.
Mods need to add “IFBB Pro” under your username. Few understand what it takes to earn that even if it doesn’t mean much today.

“I compete because I love the process and the challenge to continue to better myself.”

This right here is why I do it and most do it. What you said makes complete sense. We do it to compete against the best version of ourselves for the chapter of life we are in, nobody else. At least that’s why I do it.

In the past, the love of competing was probably driven by the possibility of landing on the front cover of your favorite magazine.
Social media short cuts the need for winning or high placement in a contest. If ones physique is pleasing in the eyes of John Public, then one gets the attention and all that comes with it.
No need to compete to get there.

Another aspect of life thats been ruined by social media/technology. I wish social media was abolished completely it's a virus. But that's a whole nother subject.

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
watchtymeflyyy
NapsGear