over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

how does hydrocodone affect your mind??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I try not to use painkillers if i can help it. I was prescribed hydrocodone as well after a 3 hr surgery but didnt take any

Id rather embrace the pain and let healing do its thing. Maybe im sick in the head

Silly doctors, pill for this pill for that.

I feel the same way , I let the pain keep me in check so I don't over use the problem area.
the trouble here is that the healing process can't start untill this piece of material is removed from the joint!! so untill surgery is done the pain is gonna be a fact of life and seems to get worse as time goes , my ortho said that it would likely get worse and worse.

I had a 60mg toradol injection the day it happened then took oral ketorilac for a week , once they realized the damage I was swapped over to Mobic as the anti inflamitory due to toradol's issue with tearing up the stomach.
the Mobic works great as all the other little aches I had have gone away but the elobow still hurts

I have been taking vycodiene for 5 years..almost everyday ..but only for pain ...not to get high,,,almost never felt high taking on ( used to take Darvon but that was taken off the market and percocet makes my migraines worse)
I averaged 60 pills in 60 days ...almost like clock work..now ...suddenly I am having no migraines and have taken zero in 30 days..
Some people make bad addicts ...me.. I usually feel worse after taking the drug then the reason I took it in the first place,,hence why I tried my best to limit my consumption to 1/2 a tab at a time..3 full ones in a day and I would feel like shit;
vs some of you would think it the best thing since sliced bread

about the zanax..don't. my ex reacted very violently when on zanax. since you react like this to these, the zanax may be the same..

I have been taking vycodiene for 5 years..almost everyday ..but only for pain ...not to get high,,,almost never felt high taking on ( used to take Darvon but that was taken off the market and percocet makes my migraines worse)
I averaged 60 pills in 60 days ...almost like clock work..now ...suddenly I am having no migraines and have taken zero in 30 days..
Some people make bad addicts ...me.. I usually feel worse after taking the drug then the reason I took it in the first place,,hence why I tried my best to limit my consumption to 1/2 a tab at a time..3 full ones in a day and I would feel like shit;
vs some of you would think it the best thing since sliced bread

I'd say I'm one of those. I have a legit script for generic Dexedrine(dextroamphetamine). And they say amphetamines are highly addictive and from using them I can see how they can be, but with me, the side effects I get tend to be way worse than the positives it'd give me.

When coming down it'd just give me completely random semi-intense bouts of anxiety that come out of nowhere, for no reason! Also for some reason it destroys my short-term memory, to the point that it's scary! Because I'd have to triple check stuff and still forget things(important things), most problematic side effect I've ever experienced from a drug. If I didn't know better and someone told me that these pills will help me learn and study better I'd laugh at them.

Those 2 sides were the main reasons that barred me from ever really abusing it. Sadly or maybe not, depending on how you look at it. I found a way to greatly lessen the anxiety caused by the amps without interfering with the positives and it was as simple as taking advil or aleve. I learned through random experiences that simple OTC painkillers in small doses (just one pill of either) would greatly help with anxiety caused by amps.

I'm an Advanced Practice Nurse and I have treated a lot of narcotic addicts over the years. For the guy w/ the initial question of what else could he use other then the hydrocodone, the pharmacist who replied was right on. Tramadol 50-100mgs every 4-6 hrs is your best bet if you are not already addicted to opiates. Your use does not sound to severe, however the side effects you are mentioning are similiar to withdrawl symptoms. For the person that stated that Tramadol is a opioid, that's incorrect. It is not a opioid, it is actually a NSAID w/ fairly good pain killing effects. I've even come across patients who actually prefer Tramadol (Ultram) over the opiate meds. If you are not addicted to opioids at this time, then you should have no problem transferring over to this medication.

^This is the truth, this is how bad the opiates are.

There are two groups of people spreading misinformation about the opiates: Doctors (AMA) and Addicts. Most addicts are in denial about addiction and exactly how bad what they are taking is. They will tell you that drugs like Vicodin are different than heroin, they are lying.

First, you have to understand, the number of people addicted to these drugs is UNDERESTIMATED by probably 10x or more (probably MUCH more).

Remember that they are all basically morphine. Heroin is morphine acetate. Codeine is a semi-synthetic version of morphine. Hydrocodone and Oxycodone are synthetic version of codeine. Fancy drugs like OxyContin are just time release Oxycodone.

The AMA will actually have you believe that drugs like hydrocodone are LESS addictive than heroin, this is a lie.

Most heroin users start on pain pills. Many heroin users would RATHER use pain pills, but their tolerance is too high or heroin is easier to find.

The irritability you are experiencing is just part of the withdrawal...

This is all very true. Addiction to prescription meds is a HUGE problem. One of the biggest concerns w/ many of the opiate prescription meds is that almost all of them contain Tylenol, and Tylenol is actually very toxic to the liver in elevated doses - and addicts always take elevated doses. This is one of the large problems w/ prescription narcotic addicts. The hydrocodone itself doesn't actually have a lot of negative side effects which is why you do see it prescribed so freely and continuously. Heroin users problems are moreso w/ the fact that they are injecting it and w/ that method comes a whole slew of other issues such as Hepatitis, infections, overdosing d/t inconsistencies in doses, etc.

I am personally sympathic to those addicted to any medications. No one WANTS to be that way. But many times d/t all kinds of various reasons people do need to stay on narcotic medications, and they can do so and lead very normal lives. I'm a proponent of using medications such as Suboxone/Subutex, or Methadone in those unable to get off of narcotic medications. There are ALL kinds of studies that show that Methadone users lead just as normal of lives as do non-narcotic dependant people. They have the same mental fuctioning, same life span, same ability to do the activities of daily living that those not on a narcotic medications are able to do.

Why do they prescribe Methadone and Suboxone - 1) b/c they are just pure opiate w/o the Tylenol, thus you take out the stress on the liver, 2) they are long acting opiates. One of the problems w/ most opiate users is that most of the drugs they are addicted to only have a short window of activity. Thus, your alway having to take something every 4-6 hrs, and your constantly on this roller coaster which effects your daily life. W/ Methadone or Suboxone you only need to take it once/day. Thus those high and lows go away and you are not fluctuating b/w high and withdrawing, which can be miserable way to live, not to mention deadly itself.

To those out there they are addicted I would say, look at your life and weigh the pro's and con's. If you feel like you need to get off your meds, and you in no way would accept the idea of Methadone or Suboxone, then work to slowly decrease your usage. Go from every 4 hrs to every 5. The every 6 hrs, etc. Once you get to only taking it twice a day, then decrease the dosage. This is the best way to slowly detox yourself w/o suffering any serious side effects of withdrawal. Your other option if you have decent insurance is to go in and do a medicated w/drawal w/ a health-care practicioner in the hospital. If you decide to do it yourself at home, follow the above method, and make sure you drink as much water as possible as dehydration and then electrolyte imbalances are common in those w/drawing from narcotics.

Don't just discount the possibility of using Methadone or Suboxone for long term treatment though. If your worried about the stigma attached to Methadone, Suboxone is done w/in the doctors office, and is currently undetectable in any urine/blood screening. Either medication though you will find that w/ any job, being on Methadone or Suboxone is not something that would prohibit you from getting ANY position. I know of several health-care workers who work in the hospital - one who is an anesthesiolgist, that is on Methadone. When you take those pre-job urine/blood tests, you specifically need to test for Methadone which most places do not do. However, if they do 1) you have a valid prescription just as anyone else - just as you had w/ your hydrocodone or any other med, 2) it is not those hiring you who are informed of your urine results (the vast majority of the time) but those associated w/ insurance and human resources. In all my experience w/ addicts, I have never met one who was unable to get a job they desired d/t being on Methadone.

And don't let the stigma that Methadone is just for heroin addicts fool you. There are just as many on Methadone that were addicted to prescription meds as those on heroin. Just like others have said here, there is no difference b/w heroin and codeine and hydrocodone. They are all opiates. They all stimulate the same receptors in the brain. And although you would like to think that heroin addicts are probably on much more Methadone then a prescription opiate addict, that is just totally untrue. I have seen MANY prescription hydrocodone addicts using MORE Methadone then their counterpart heroin addicts - so to believe that you are somehow "better" or "different" then the heroin addict is just a way of fooling yourself.

effects of hydro

Hydrocodone is a controlled schedule 4 drug that is for pain...it is a mild pain releiver in a class of drugs similiar to morphine...although it does have an effect on your central nervous system it should not effect your mind in anyway if your just taking for acute(short term use)..in the pharmaceutical field for 15years, although I said it should not, I will say hydrocodone or any controlled substance will react differently with each individual person.. someone can take it and be fine...another can take, become addicted and rob and steal just to get it..

At one time about 3 years ago I took 4-6 vicodin a day....I never wanted to quit...but the money was adding up...I tapered down for two weeks and switched to ultram for another two weeks...again tapering down. Told myself I would never touch them again. Fast forward to this year...I had 3 surgeries In two weeks...the nurses were asking to give me morphine for pain ever couple hours...than I had about 120 hydrocodones prescribed to me from 3 different doctors...I was only taking 1.5-2 a day...but I knew it had to stop....2 months post surgery I quit cold turkey. Withdrawls were a bitch this time. Night sweats, naseau...but I made it through the 3 day period...oddly enough I needed surgery on day 4....the meds they gave me for surgery brought back all the withdrawl symptoms...doc handed me a script for 30 hydrocodone...gave it back to him....I'm not going to say it wasn't my fault...but doctors IMO seem to overprescibe opiates...although I don't take them anymore...I know I'm addicted to opiates...always will be. So I just can't touch them.

Vicodin also makes me noticeably irritable and aggressive but initially slightly euphoric, motivated, talkative, and energetic(ya hyper, go figure) but the bad part kicks in not too long afterwards. Tylenol 3(with codeine) was the worst, no positives, just irritable as hell! It really never ceases to amaze me how differently people can react to drugs.

I refuse to use ANY of these pain meds. They make me feel wired and sometimes crazy. I stick with the products like ALEVE and IBUPROFEN that have no real mental effect on me.

The thing that sucks for me is that Ibuprofen is a far more effective pain reliever than Oxycontin.... but at the doses required for relief, I will be taxing my kidneys and liver way too much.
I wish I could use it instead. I find so much relief from it that I almost never allow myself to have it... because I feel so relieved, I will want to be on it all the time.

I'd say I'm one of those. I have a legit script for generic Dexedrine(dextroamphetamine). And they say amphetamines are highly addictive and from using them I can see how they can be, but with me, the side effects I get tend to be way worse than the positives it'd give me.

When coming down it'd just give me completely random semi-intense bouts of anxiety that come out of nowhere, for no reason! Also for some reason it destroys my short-term memory, to the point that it's scary! Because I'd have to triple check stuff and still forget things(important things), most problematic side effect I've ever experienced from a drug. If I didn't know better and someone told me that these pills will help me learn and study better I'd laugh at them.

Those 2 sides were the main reasons that barred me from ever really abusing it. Sadly or maybe not, depending on how you look at it. I found a way to greatly lessen the anxiety caused by the amps without interfering with the positives and it was as simple as taking advil or aleve. I learned through random experiences that simple OTC painkillers in small doses (just one pill of either) would greatly help with anxiety caused by amps.

For a second I thought you said desoxyn and I was about to rant about your doc then I saw it was just addys. I cant even believe this drug is prescribed tho.. Pharma industry is a JOKE :banghead:

Use dextro ED for a few years or so and see how terrible the drug is.

Hydrocodone is a controlled schedule 4 drug that is for pain...it is a mild pain releiver in a class of drugs similiar to morphine...although it does have an effect on your central nervous system it should not effect your mind in anyway if your just taking for acute(short term use)..in the pharmaceutical field for 15years, although I said it should not, I will say hydrocodone or any controlled substance will react differently with each individual person.. someone can take it and be fine...another can take, become addicted and rob and steal just to get it..

Hydrocodone may be listed in the PDR as a drug for mild-moderate pain relief, but that is only because of its dosing. It is usually only prescribed in 5-10 mg doses, with tylenal or Ibuprofen added to it.

In reality, Hydrocodone, Oxycodone, and heroin are almost identical in strength, per mg. In fact, the 3 are seperated, in terms of potency, by less than 2%. In order of strength per mg, they are as follows:

1.) Heroin
2.) Hydrocodone
3.) Oxycodone

It is commonly thought that Hydro is not as strong as Oxy, but this is untrue, with Hydro actually being very slightly stronger, per mg. The likely reason for this confusion is due to the dosing amounts utilized per pill with these drugs. Oxycodone is prescribed as Oxycontin, which goes up to 160 mg per tablet. With Hydrocodone, common preparations stop at 10 mg per pill and almost always contain anti-inflamatories, whereas Oxycontin does not have any anti-inflamtories added to it. This allows Oxycodone-Oxycointin to be taken in much larger dosages without fear of liver damage, while also consuming far less pills.

Heroin, Hydro, and Oxy are all about 1/3 rd stronger, per mg, compared to Morphine. Those who think Hydrocodone is any less potent or addictive than either Heroin or Oxycodone are mistaken.

Like a previous poster said, the primary reasn most pill uses often turn to heroin is not because heroin is stronger, but because the chances of obtaining Hydrocodone or Oxycodone devoid of anti-inflmatories at a reasonable cost is unlikely. It is less costly, when comparing the average street prices, to buy a bag of heroin than a 40 mg tab of Oxycontin. Few dealers sell dope which contains more than about 40-50 mg per bag...and many dose is between 20-30 mg. If heroin addicts had regular access to pure, powdered Oxy or Hydro as they do heroin, many users would but whichever one was the best deal.

As a 10+ year long IV addict (now clean for many years) who worked as a drug counselor for several years, I have seen probably just about everyting there is to see when it comes to thse drugs. They become horrible life-defining, life-destroying drugs once they cause addiction...very, very hard to overcome.

Last edited:
I'm an Advanced Practice Nurse and I have treated a lot of narcotic addicts over the years. For the guy w/ the initial question of what else could he use other then the hydrocodone, the pharmacist who replied was right on. Tramadol 50-100mgs every 4-6 hrs is your best bet if you are not already addicted to opiates. Your use does not sound to severe, however the side effects you are mentioning are similiar to withdrawl symptoms. For the person that stated that Tramadol is a opioid, that's incorrect. It is not a opioid, it is actually a NSAID w/ fairly good pain killing effects. I've even come across patients who actually prefer Tramadol (Ultram) over the opiate meds. If you are not addicted to opioids at this time, then you should have no problem transferring over to this medication.

You might want to do some current research on tramadol. What you stated is what was released by the pharm. industry and doctors repeated it. Chemically tramadol is an opiod hybrid withssri effects. Tramadol will actually prevent mild true opiate withdrawal and lessen the withdrawal from heavier users. Trams also are very addictive and the withdrawals are much worse than hydrocodone withdrawal . The same opiate WD side effects, plus a brain zapping feeling like coming off ssri's and it lasts weeks not days. Please research this before people actually follow your advice. Like I said, what you stated is what was originally released about this medication. Current information available wil back up what I said. here is a link.

Tramadol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
I am premed, with a Chem degree, Tramadol is an opiate agonists.

Actually Hydo does come in mg higher than 10mg, Untill a few months ago I was getting x60 40mg of hydo.
Hydrocodone may be listed in the PDR as a drug for mild-moderate pain relief, but that is only because of its dosing. It is usually only prescribed in 5-10 mg doses, with tylenal or Ibuprofen added to it.

In reality, Hydrocodone, Oxycodone, and heroin are almost identical in strength, per mg. In fact, the 3 are seperated, in terms of potency, by less than 2%. In order of strength per mg, they are as follows:

1.) Heroin
2.) Hydrocodone
3.) Oxycodone

It is commonly thought that Hydro is not as strong as Oxy, but this is untrue, with Hydro actually being very slightly stronger, per mg. The likely reason for this confusion is due to the dosing amounts utilized per pill with these drugs. Oxycodone is prescribed as Oxycontin, which goes up to 160 mg per tablet. With Hydrocodone, common preparations stop at 10 mg per pill and almost always contain anti-inflamatories, whereas Oxycontin does not have any anti-inflamtories added to it. This allows Oxycodone-Oxycointin to be taken in much larger dosages without fear of liver damage, while also consuming far less pills.

Heroin, Hydro, and Oxy are all about 1/3 rd stronger, per mg, compared to Morphine. Those who think Hydrocodone is any less potent or addictive than either Heroin or Oxycodone are mistaken.

Like a previous poster said, the primary reasn most pill uses often turn to heroin is not because heroin is stronger, but because the chances of obtaining Hydrocodone or Oxycodone devoid of anti-inflmatories at a reasonable cost is unlikely. It is less costly, when comparing the average street prices, to buy a bag of heroin than a 40 mg tab of Oxycontin. Few dealers sell dope which contains more than about 40-50 mg per bag...and many dose is between 20-30 mg. If heroin addicts had regular access to pure, powdered Oxy or Hydro as they do heroin, many users would but whichever one was the best deal.

As a 10+ year long IV addict (now clean for many years) who worked as a drug counselor for several years, I have seen probably just about everyting there is to see when it comes to thse drugs. They become horrible life-defining, life-destroying drugs once they cause addiction...very, very hard to overcome.

Actually Hydo does come in mg higher than 10mg, Untill a few months ago I was getting x60 40mg of hydo.

Yes...it does, but it is not commonly prescribed. Hydro also comes in massive 1/2 gallon containers in liquid form at 20 mg/ml, but you're not going to find that prescribed either...LOL.

When the Hydrocodone dose gets to high (due to the anti-infams), doctors will almost always swtch to Oxycontin, Oxymorphone (which is stronger than Oxy and goes by the brand name Opana), or just plain morphine. Rarely ever will they prescribe pure hydrocodone; don't ask me, it's just the way it is.

Last edited:
"At first it is motivating, euphoric, and amazing. You feel everything in your life is enhanced and you can do anything you want to. It is highly psychologically addicted for those that seek motivation. Everything becomes sharper and better, confidence goes through the roof.
After time goes by, it varies from person to person, took me four years.... but the effects slowly begin to turn around to the opposite. Memory issues, irritability, loss of libido, lack of motivation, feeling of being hopeless and in despair.
I never believed it myself, never believed it would get me.... it was just too good, I must be special with my reaction I thought. My recovered addict friend said that is how he was.... for 7 years, then one day it just started going completely down hill. He said I would see, and I said I didn't believe him."

^^^
The above post sumarizes my experience perfectly. Stuff is poison and will eventually affect you life in a negative way. I have a lot of herniations and nack/nek issues from so many years of heavy lifting. I'd rather deal with the pain than use opiate pain medicine again. Honestly, altering my training style, adding a lot of stretching and rehab type of exercises along with core work proved to be just as effective.

It is actually a CIII, not a class 4 medication. Xanax, Valium, etc, are class 4. Vicodin, lortab, norco, etc, are CIII. Percocet, morphine, oxycontin, hydromorphone, oxymorphone, etc, are CII drugs, just for clarification for those who may not know. Also, it is a damn opiate, of course it affects your mind, regardless of if you take it once, or 100 times. You are under the influence of a narcotic by taking 1 single tablet, so yes, it does affect the brain/mind significantly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Rachel-Lianfu