over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

High Cholesterol what should I take

I've got some ezetimibe but haven't used it. How does it compare with statins for you?
I won't take statins after poor lipitor experiences many years ago.
I'm taking Ezetimibe with zero side effects and a dramatic reduction in LDL and Apo B. Wish I knew about it years ago.

I am not sure if there is any science behind it....but anecdotally, Crestor turned me into a slug. Went back to lipitor and I am back to my old self....more like a sloth which, although not speedy, a sloth is much faster than a slug ;-)
I've been looking through some research and fatigue is definitely seen across statins....I'm going to bring this up with my Dr. and see what he thinks about maybe switching back to Lipitor (a statin still but not as strong as Crestor). Thanks for putting this info out there.

I've been looking through some research and fatigue is definitely seen across statins....I'm going to bring this up with my Dr. and see what he thinks about maybe switching back to Lipitor (a statin still but not as strong as Crestor). Thanks for putting this info out there.
Are adequate amounts of CoQ10 being taken to offset what the stains can cause?

I am not sure if there is any science behind it....but anecdotally, Crestor turned me into a slug. Went back to lipitor and I am back to my old self....more like a sloth which, although not speedy, a sloth is much faster than a slug ;-)

How much were you taking and were you taking it every day? I believe Crestor is the strongest statin with the least side effects when dosed appropriately according to the studies but I don't know if that is happening in the real world.

Also if you are taking 10 mg of Lipitor, that is equivalent to 5 mg Crestor so make sure you are comparing it correctly

How much were you taking and were you taking it every day? I believe Crestor is the strongest statin with the least side effects when dosed appropriately according to the studies but I don't know if that is happening in the real world.

Also if you are taking 10 mg of Lipitor, that is equivalent to 5 mg Crestor so make sure you are comparing it correctly
I believe both were at 10mg but I don't quite remember. I am on 40mg of lipitor now, and I feel fine.

Reactions: Fat
Are adequate amounts of CoQ10 being taken to offset what the stains can cause?
Interesting...that is something I didn't know. Just looking it up, looks like CoQ10 would possibly help with muscle pain due to statins. I'm not experiencing muscle pain but curious if raising CoQ10 would help with lethargy?

Interesting...that is something I didn't know. Just looking it up, looks like CoQ10 would possibly help with muscle pain due to statins. I'm not experiencing muscle pain but curious if raising CoQ10 would help with lethargy?
CoQ10 should be used with a statin since it can deplete CoQ10 levels

I don't think I'll ever change my mind that statins are poison. If I was forced to take one I would probably supplement with pregnenolone so as to leave cholesterol alone but supplement downstream precursors of steroid branches. statins mess up a lot more than steroid synthesis though. They compromise the entire melvalonate pathway. see below. All those little arrows at the bottom are compromised pathways.

Mevalonate_pathway.svg

I don't think I'll ever change my mind that statins are poison. If I was forced to take one I would probably supplement with pregnenolone so as to leave cholesterol alone but supplement downstream precursors of steroid branches. statins mess up a lot more than steroid synthesis though. They compromise the entire melvalonate pathway. see below. All those little arrows at the bottom are compromised pathways.

Mevalonate_pathway.svg
I was on the “statins are poison” bandwagon for so many years but I’ve finally changed my mind in light of new research. I feel like I’ve crossed over to the dark side.

I was on the “statins are poison” bandwagon for so many years but I’ve finally changed my mind in light of new research. I feel like I’ve crossed over to the dark side.

I'm not aware of the new research. Always thought statins were poison. Does the new research support the use of statins?

I agree with this. I was the same way!!

After having a zero calcium score but a CIMT that showed some plaque I started on Crestor 5mg 2x a week. I'm about 6 weeks in and will pull labs next week. I pulled out my natural cholesterol supplements except 10mg of Cardarine. I'm curious to see what my labs look like. I have about 15 years of pretty good data for bloods both on and off cycle so I should be able to see the effect of the statin.

As BB's we put "all this stuff" into our bodies but have traditionally been so "anti" statin. I do think if PED's are in play, then statins have their place. My main reason of adding them now is to stabilize the plaque that I have already accumulated. This is especially important if I want to continue to use PED's as I get older.

Thanks, ordered some...will start with 200mg and see how it goes.
I take 300 mg/day and have for well over 10 years. and i am not on a statin but i am older then most. I have been recommending 300mg/day to older people for years. If i ever go on a statin i am sure i will take a higher dose then i am. My understanding is that patients in Canada legally are warned about COQ10 being depleted by statins. I believe it is in the product warning label. Never heard about it being a requirement in the USA. As it could drive down sales, being told the drug could damage you and the pharmaceutical companies pushed back against the warning. Jusy bought Costco's brand 300 mg 100 caps $16
" Research suggests that coenzyme Q10 levels start to decline in the more important organs such as the heart around age 26 and in the skin around age 30. By around age 66, your overall CoQ10 production might be half of what it was at age 25. But of course, this all will vary from person to person."

I am sure there are plenty of side effects that come with taking a statin. But, the fact is.... heart attacks are the #1 killer of men by far. Statins are proven to help calcify the soft plaque that ultimately causes heart attacks (turning the dangerous soft plaque into benign stabilized plaque). As a result, they reduce incidents of heart attacks. IMO that is more than enough reason to take them. I would gladly deal with the sides of taking a statin (fatigue etc.) over the sides of not taking them (death).

I agree with this. I was the same way!!

After having a zero calcium score but a CIMT that showed some plaque I started on Crestor 5mg 2x a week. I'm about 6 weeks in and will pull labs next week. I pulled out my natural cholesterol supplements except 10mg of Cardarine. I'm curious to see what my labs look like. I have about 15 years of pretty good data for bloods both on and off cycle so I should be able to see the effect of the statin.

As BB's we put "all this stuff" into our bodies but have traditionally been so "anti" statin. I do think if PED's are in play, then statins have their place. My main reason of adding them now is to stabilize the plaque that I have already accumulated. This is especially important if I want to continue to use PED's as I get older.

It'll be interesting to see what your next labs show. I've heard some doctors praise the use of very low dose statins such as 5mg crestor 2-3 x a week to keep cardiovascular inflammation down. Low dose statins may be very beneficial without the sides for some individuals.

I am sure there are plenty of side effects that come with taking a statin. But, the fact is.... heart attacks are the #1 killer of men by far. Statins are proven to help calcify the soft plaque that ultimately causes heart attacks (turning the dangerous soft plaque into benign stabilized plaque). As a result, they reduce incidents of heart attacks. IMO that is more than enough reason to take them. I would gladly deal with the sides of taking a statin (fatigue etc.) over the sides of not taking them (death).
Show me the evidence that you state as fact. Then we can talk about the power of the study, the conflict of insterest of the authors, the clinical trial design and the statistical method they used to claim effectiveness over control population.

Show me the evidence that you state as fact. Then we can talk about the power of the study, the conflict of insterest of the authors, the clinical trial design and the statistical method they used to claim effectiveness over control population.
Never in the history of people posting their opinions on a message board has a person who feels so strongly one way been convinced to believe otherwise over msg board banter. And since you have already said, that even if I did produce evidence you would dispute with a bunch of stuff nobody on here would find entertaining, so why bother or waste the time of others? The fact is, I had a heart attack. I was treated by the top cardiologists in Southern California (Orange County). I saw THREE of them. All three, independently from one another said a statin to prevent another heart attack is critical, even though my plaque is very low...barely measurable. I simply don't see a scenario where I meet with them next time and say, "Yeah but pickapeck on the pro muscle message board has convinced me all three of you are wrong." lol

Never in the history of people posting their opinions on a message board has a person who feels so strongly one way been convinced to believe otherwise over msg board banter. And since you have already said, that even if I did produce evidence you would dispute with a bunch of stuff nobody on here would find entertaining, so why bother or waste the time of others? The fact is, I had a heart attack. I was treated by the top cardiologists in Southern California (Orange County). I saw THREE of them. All three, independently from one another said a statin to prevent another heart attack is critical, even though my plaque is very low...barely measurable. I simply don't see a scenario where I meet with them next time and say, "Yeah but pickapeck on the pro muscle message board has convinced me all three of you are wrong." lol
It is clear that you have a belief in the current AMA view on statins. Given your life situation I can understand your sentiment. I was in graduate school at the time that the scrutiny of the clinical trials came to call. Key studies really showed very little advantage but, since relative risk reduction rather than actual risk reduction, was used in promotion of treatment, the benefit appeared to the average patient to be highly benificial. Many issues were identified in major studies such as failure to monitor all cause mortality, non-scientific selection of end points, and some other manipulations came more into focus. Since then a host of side effects have persisted and now diabetes risk appears to be increased. Is there some benefit for some populations? Possibly, difficult to say, some studies say so when risk groups are stratified. Still the actual benefit seems to be minimal and the risk of adverse events seems to be tolerable for the AMA but not to everyone like grouchy assholes like me that saw the shit show. For you it seems that the risks are worth it. I hope they benefit you and side effects are nonexistent of tolerable. As a note: studies vary but range from 30 to over 100 in NNT, that is the number needed to treat for one patient to benefit.

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Testedunitedstates
NapsGear