over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

10 seconds rest between sets

JohnnyPro

Registered
Hi guys, my last few workouts I have been experimenting with a new training routine. I only rest 10 seconds between sets. Of course I can't use very heavy weights, but it gets pretty intense. Before you know it you have done 10 sets, because time goes by so much faster. For example for back I did 10 sets of lat pulldowns, 10 sets long pulley rows, and 10 sets T bar rows. I got a great pump and I thought I could see some new growth after just that one work out. Has anyone else had luck with this method?

This is exactly the way Serge Nubret trained for most of his career, with varied short rests between 10 - 20 seconds, multiple sets, and moderate / light weights.

A little different take......

There was a bodybuilder that was big in the 80's by the name of Rory Ledilmeyer and used to promote an idea called "Reps by the hundreds". This was a little different then the 10 second rest that you are doing currently. He would do you set of a one hundred reps and then go to the next exercise. He was huge so I would have to say it worked!

There was a bodybuilder that was big in the 80's by the name of Rory Ledilmeyer and used to promote an idea called "Reps by the hundreds". This was a little different then the 10 second rest that you are doing currently. He would do you set of a one hundred reps and then go to the next exercise. He was huge so I would have to say it worked!

I do remember that name. Wow, 100 reps. But only one set per exercise. Maybe I will try it!

This is exactly the way Serge Nubret trained for most of his career, with varied short rests between 10 - 20 seconds, multiple sets, and moderate / light weights.

I am a huge fan of Serge Nubret. I do remember now that he trained that way. I guess it works!

I believe it was based a lot of Vince Girondas approach... I used it and I loved it, and I will soon go back to it. I just got tired of doing the same old routine so I switched it up a little bit. Just always remember to try and go up in the weight by small increments every few workouts to keep it effective. You probably already know that, but I had a bad habit of either staying at the same weight each week or jumping up by ten pounds only to realize that I couldnt finish my ten sets of ten per body part... (Still immature in some aspects of my weight training :) )

Another good one to try if you havent already is 8x8 routine with only ten seconds rest. I believe I read that Larry Scott did it this way but I could have misread.

jonny i have done the 100 rep work out and it will shred you. Hurts like a mother but good for something diff.It also takes a couple of times to get it right.I mean as far as taking past 30 or so reps with out stopping,60 is when you start to see god and it all mental after that!:D

100 reps! that would be a killer, done 1 set 30 reps today. dont think i could make it 100 :eek:

The strongest training concept ever...

CHANGE.

I personally feel outside of diet, for the experienced body builder, change, overcoming our bodies natural mind/muscle efficiencies, is the strongest factor for continued improvement. We work the muscle and compete with bodies unbelivable ability to compensate for our actions.

Pekkerwood

Hi guys, my last few workouts I have been experimenting with a new training routine. I only rest 10 seconds between sets. Of course I can't use very heavy weights, but it gets pretty intense. Before you know it you have done 10 sets, because time goes by so much faster. For example for back I did 10 sets of lat pulldowns, 10 sets long pulley rows, and 10 sets T bar rows. I got a great pump and I thought I could see some new growth after just that one work out. Has anyone else had luck with this method?

Upping the intensity is a great way to induce new muscle growth.

CHANGE.

I personally feel outside of diet, for the experienced body builder, change, overcoming our bodies natural mind/muscle efficiencies, is the strongest factor for continued improvement. We work the muscle and compete with bodies unbelivable ability to compensate for our actions.

Pekkerwood

Well said, and I agree 100% with this statement. Larry Scott is a big believer in changing things up very often. It also helps you avoid injuries.

I have to ask what is the benefit with only 10seconds rest between sets? I have done the 100 rep workout it is tougher than what alot of people think IMO.

Training with relatively little rest between sets can be a form of training known as Lactate Induced Training (LIT)!

Charles Poliquin was one of the first to discover the physiological fact that there's a direct correlation between the amount of lactate produced and the subsequent release of endogenous growth hormone; and we all know that growth hormone is a highly lypolitic (stimulates the release of fatty acids) and anti-catabolic (muscle defender) hormone. It's also one of the reasons why 200m and 400m runners are so lean: these distances lead to an enormous surge of Lactic acid, spanning over the entire body.

(LIT) generally relies on slightly higher rep ranges because lactate production is at its highest in sets (TUT) lasting between 50-70 seconds. So if each rep lasts 4 seconds (3 seconds eccentric and 1 second concentric), hitting the ideal time under tension for lactate production would require 12-18 reps per set.

In addition, you also need to drastically reduce the rest intervals between sets ( 30 - 45 seconds). It is also a good idea to alternate exercises for muscle groups (to increase overall whole-body lactate production), and you don't want to incorporate too much volume per muscle group.

The short rest intervals and use of multiple muscles per session leads to a significant elevation in lactate levels, which in turn increases HGH production.

This method of training can be VERY benefitial to the athlete looking to shed unwanted bodyfat OR for an athlete trying to add lean Body Mass (when coupled with HEAVY training for low reps).

JD~

Tom Platz was a into short rest as he stated in one of his books. He based his theories on the Bulgarian weight lifters who beleived that the lactic acid is removed within 15 seconds of completing the lift.

Training with relatively little rest between sets can be a form of training known as Lactate Induced Training (LIT)!

Charles Poliquin was one of the first to discover the physiological fact that there's a direct correlation between the amount of lactate produced and the subsequent release of endogenous growth hormone; and we all know that growth hormone is a highly lypolitic (stimulates the release of fatty acids) and anti-catabolic (muscle defender) hormone. It's also one of the reasons why 200m and 400m runners are so lean: these distances lead to an enormous surge of Lactic acid, spanning over the entire body.

(LIT) generally relies on slightly higher rep ranges because lactate production is at its highest in sets (TUT) lasting between 50-70 seconds. So if each rep lasts 4 seconds (3 seconds eccentric and 1 second concentric), hitting the ideal time under tension for lactate production would require 12-18 reps per set.

In addition, you also need to drastically reduce the rest intervals between sets ( 30 - 45 seconds). It is also a good idea to alternate exercises for muscle groups (to increase overall whole-body lactate production), and you don't want to incorporate too much volume per muscle group.

The short rest intervals and use of multiple muscles per session leads to a significant elevation in lactate levels, which in turn increases HGH production.

This method of training can be VERY benefitial to the athlete looking to shed unwanted bodyfat OR for an athlete trying to add lean Body Mass (when coupled with HEAVY training for low reps).

JD~

Does this mean the best way to do this is to do a set of say bench press, rest 30 seconds then do a different exercise? Then rest 30 sec. more and back to bench press. In other words don't do all sets of 1 exercise then another, alternating the entire workout kind of like a circuit?

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Spinaltap88
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131