over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

1980's Cartoons

Wow, the comic books have become woke too. I guess Disney is running the show there too?

Wow, the comic books have become woke too. I guess Disney is running the show there too?

As @Bleed mentioned in his post, there was actually a female Thor (Jane Foster) in the Marvel Comics, starting in 2014, so a woman actress playing Thor is not as much of a stretch as you might think, and not a Disney creation.

"Jane Foster first appeared in Journey into Mystery #84 (September 1962), and was created by plotter Stan Lee, scripter Larry Lieber and penciler Jack Kirby. Named "Jane Nelson" in her first two appearances, she went on to appear as the love interest of Dr. Donald Blake, the secret identity of the Norse god superhero Thor, in nearly every issue through #136 (Jan. 1967) of the title, by then renamed Thor.[1]

In October 2014, the fourth volume of Thor, writer Jason Aaron and artist Russell Dauterman in the first issue debuted a female character in the role of Thor after the classic hero is no longer able to wield Mjolnir. Aaron stated, "This is not She-Thor. This is not Lady Thor. This is not Thorita. This is Thor. This is the Thor of the Marvel Universe. But it’s unlike any Thor we’ve ever seen before."[2] In 2015, this Thor joined the Avengers in All-New All-Different Avengers FCBD (May 2015), which takes place in the aftermath of the "Secret Wars" storyline.[3] In Thor vol. 4, #8 (May 2015), the identity of the female was revealed to be Jane Foster."

This is a tricky one.

My GF and coworkers are all under 30. They are huge harry potter fans. I showed my gf Lord of the Rings and she loves it. She noticed that Harry Potter clearly borrowed its aesthetics from LOTR at least partially.

I didn't even watch the Harry Potter movies until we started dating. I cant say I am a huge fan but the first 4 are actually very good and I can see why this is their Star wars.

Now, for us, Star wars makes sense. The canonical order of the movies is 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9.......but they were released 4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3, 7, 8, 9....makes perfect sense right? LOL But imagine you were born in the mid 90s. None of this would make sense. You would have been born when the Studio re-release's of the star wars movies happened. That's the rerelease of your original movies (which you cant even find anymore...all you can get are the enhanced editions). I laugh so hard because my gf oved jar jar binks...because she was like 9 or something. That's something that's hard to keep in perspective. To her, Star Wars was pod racing. That's all shit I really really really dont like. Jar jar binks, pod racing, killing off darth maul in quick non interesting way, just garbage to me. But it wasn't made for me. The last star wars movie made by George Lucas at that point was Return of the Jedi which was made in large part to sell toys. That's what George Lucas wanted for episode 1. He needed toy merchandise material. He needed ewoks and new xwings. So you got jar jar and pod racing. Parents went out and bought this stuff for their kids because they were raised on the franchise so it's funny hearing those people act so surprised when late 20 something year olds have fond memories of jar jar binks and pod racing.

Fast forward and now everyone has seen the Mandalorian and after the shit show that were episodes 7, 8, and 9...the serial tv shows are the future. Jon Favreau is star wars now. If you like star wars, cozy up to disney plus because that's where you will be getting it.

The amount of bitching about the Last Jedi from "A liFE loNG fan OF STar WARs BUT noT ANYm0REE!!!!" essentially sealed the fate of the franchise. Episode 9 was a direct response to the backlash of episode 8 and that's how we got horses running on an imperial star destroyer (not a spoiler....its in one of the trailers). Im not saying I personally enjoyed the new ones all that much. I remember seeing episode 7 and thinking its literally a point for point remake of episode 4 just...bigger. I wasnt the only one. Its essentially the same movie. So disney went back and made the last Jedi. History was sealed for star wars on the big screen for the foreseeable future when episode 8 was released.

I accept the fact that star wars is multiple tv shows now. Theres going to be dozens so there should be at least one or two you can get into. If you havent looked just go see how many tv shows they are making. Theres at least 8 more. I think the idea is that there will be something for everyone because they cant please everyone in a single movie because of what "star wars is supposed to be" to any given person.

I am personally a fan of the marvel stuff and look forward to the Rock showing up as Black Adam but also not looking forward to the amount of bitching when Thor bails and he becomes a "she". The bitching will be legendary. But guess what? That shit happens in the comics. There will still be someone bitching about it because thor was always the son of odin as far as they remember from the 70s. Nevermind that thor in the infinity gauntlet comics wasnt actually thor at all, it was some different dude, and at one point thor was beta ray bill who was an alien of some sort if memory serves.

Point is enjoy what you enjoy. If people can take religion a la carte and take what they want and toss what they dont agree with or just pretend it doesnt exist, believe it or not, you can do that with books and movies.

What a great post.

I agree with pretty much everything you've said here, especially with the last lines about enjoying what you enjoy, and devil take the rest of it. We'd all be well served to take the Bruce Lee approach: "Absorb what is useful, discard what is useless, and add what is specifically your own." This applies to any kind of fiction, literature, movies, mythology, what have you.

A good story is a good story, and everybody likes a good story, although opinions on what makes a good story vary. Like what you like, and ignore the rest or change it in your own head so it fits your needs, if you've got the imagination.

People have been doing this with mythology and religion for thousands of years, and all this seems to me that we are only creating the mythology of our own time, with characters that will either die out or live on forever, depending on how strong the character and how great the story may be, or how much people in future generations can identify with those characters and that story. But a great story should always have a timeless appeal.

I always think of that scene in the movie "Reign of Fire", where dragons have reawakened and taken over the Earth, and the few humans left alive are hiding in the ruins, huddled in the shadows around campfires, and telling each other the story of Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader, complete with re-enacted light saber battles. For that, and perhaps Harry Potter, or the Lord of the Rings, or the Marvel/DC superheros etc, will be the mythology that we ourselves hand down to future generations.

For anyone interested, Hasbro is streaming GI Joe full episodes for "Happy Yo Joe! June" all month.

There's some Serpentor stuff in there and most importantly valuable PSAs on how to stay safe from stranger danger.

Snake Eyes G.I. Joe Origins

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Pdx236
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner