over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

2 way split 3 days a week ABA BAB back/bis/legs+chest/shoulders/tris

Jake LaMotta

Registered
I just got back from the gym. I'm officially done with my upper/lower split. I don't like it and I've had enough. There's WAY too much volume on my upper day and my later exercises in that workout suffer.

I was thinking of this...

How does this workout look for a 2 way split 3 days a week ABA BAB back/bis/legs+chest/shoulders/tris:

A

1. Rows 3 sets
2. Hack squat machine 3 sets
3. Lat pulldowns 3 sets
4. Leg curls 3 sets
5. Bicep curls 2 sets
6. Calve raises 3 sets

B

1. Flat bench 3 sets
2. Incline bench 3 sets
3. Side lateral raises 3 sets
4. Tricep pushdowns 2 sets
5. Neck machine 3 sets

Has anyone ever done this kind of routine? What were your results?

Last edited:
Look into DC training. It solves all of the problems with volume, frequency, exercise rotation and recovery. you seem to be leading down that path anyway, i think it will eventualy be a natural progression for you.

DC works itslf out like this.
aba/bab
A
chest
shoulders
tri's
back width
back thickness

B
Bi's
forearms
Calvs
Hams
Quads

Last edited:
Look into DC training. It solves all of the problems with volume, frequency, exercise rotation and recovery. you seem to be leading down that path anyway, i think it will eventualy be a natural progression for you.

DC works itslf out like this.
aba/bab
A
chest
shoulders
tri's
back width
back thickness

B
Bi's
forearms
Calvs
Hams
Quads

3 problems I have with DC training (sorry Dante):

1. I don't see the point of putting bis opposite back. That to me would lead to overworking the bis and possibly leading to injury. Lord knows I've had enough injuries/surgeries.

2. Overhead press really doesn't stimulate my medial delts like lateral raises do. And lateral raises aren't part of the DC template.

3. I don't like the rest pause style. Would the DC template work if you just did 3 straight sets to failure (with 3 minutes between sets)?

I was thinking something like this would MAYBE work:

3 days a week ABA BAB

A

1. Flat bench 3 sets
2. Rows 3 sets
3. Incline bench 3 sets
4. Lat pulldowns 3 sets
5. Side lateral raises 3 sets
6. Neck machine 3 sets

B

1. Squats 3 sets
2. Leg curls 3 sets
3. Calve raises 3 sets
4. Tricep pushdowns 3 sets
5. Bicep curls 3 sets

I'm just concerned about bis/tris getting worked 3 days a week. Thats seems like it would be a recipe for injury and disaster.

Last edited:
3 problems I have with DC training (sorry Dante):

1. I don't see the point of putting bis opposite back. That to me would lead to overworking the bis and possibly leading to injury. Lord knows I've had enough injuries/surgeries.

2. Overhead press really doesn't stimulate my medial delts like lateral raises do. And lateral raises aren't part of the DC template.

3. I don't like the rest pause style. Would the DC template work if you just did 3 straight sets to failure (with 3 minutes between sets)?

2 parts in bold. i use laterals and have progressed wonderfully wiht them.
Well i think the template would work, but not 3 straight sets, maybe 1 or 2 or a straight set with a static hold. The rotation with bi's and back will work with a little track dusty had me to. he took my RP set for bi's and had me hit the 30 rep range, it allowed for better progression on bi's.

2 parts in bold. i use laterals and have progressed wonderfully wiht them.
Well i think the template would work, but not 3 straight sets, maybe 1 or 2 or a straight set with a static hold. The rotation with bi's and back will work with a little track dusty had me to. he took my RP set for bi's and had me hit the 30 rep range, it allowed for better progression on bi's.

1. So you're saying I could do the template I posted but just do 2 sets to failure for each exercise?

2. So you're saying I could include lateral raises in addition to doing flat AND incline benching?

3. One last point, I'm still t concerned about bis/tris getting worked 3 days a week. Thats seems like it would be a recipe for injury and disaster.

1. So you're saying I could do the template I posted but just do 2 sets to failure for each exercise?

If you read about DC on IM it says that alot of guys start out with one straight set when the first begin so i dont think this would be a bad idea. It however is not actually DC training if you dont follow it to the letter.

2. So you're saying I could include lateral raises in addition to doing flat AND incline benching?
Im not a fan of flat benching. i would use ICBP, Decline BP, and maybe Hammer strength incline.

3. One last point, I'm still t concerned about bis/tris getting worked 3 days a week. Thats seems like it would be a recipe for injury and disaster.

They dont get worked 3 times a week. Following the M/W/F ABA/BAB rotation they get worked twice every 8 days.

Its not about training DC or not training DC. If you dont like DC or have reservations about it its generally not for you. However, Most of what Dante writes can be applied to your training because it just works.

The rotation itself is put together perfectly. if you only use that as a template it eliminates alot of issues with over/under training and recovery.

Its not about training DC or not training DC. If you dont like DC or have reservations about it its generally not for you. However, Most of what Dante writes can be applied to your training because it just works.

The rotation itself is put together perfectly. if you only use that as a template it eliminates alot of issues with over/under training and recovery.
Bis and tris get hit one way or another at EVRY workout (3 days a week). Remember, they're getting taxed when doing rows, pulldowns (bis), and benching (tris).

3 days a week ABA BAB ALL SETS TAKEN TO FAILURE

A

1. Flat bench 2 sets
2. Rows 2 sets
3. Incline bench 2 sets
4. Lat pulldowns 2 sets
5. Side lateral raises 2 sets
6. Neck machine 2 sets

B

1. Squats 2 sets
2. Leg curls 2 sets
3. Calve raises 2 sets
5. Bicep curls 2 sets

Bis and tris get hit one way or another at EVRY workout (3 days a week). Remember, they're getting taxed when doing rows, pulldowns (bis), and benching (tris).

3 days a week ABA BAB ALL SETS TAKEN TO FAILURE

A

1. Flat bench 2 sets
2. Rows 2 sets
3. Incline bench 2 sets
4. Lat pulldowns 2 sets
5. Side lateral raises 2 sets
6. Neck machine 2 sets

B

1. Squats 2 sets
2. Leg curls 2 sets
3. Calve raises 2 sets
5. Bicep curls 2 sets

I like it. I say give it a shot and see how it goes. you can always adjust sets and reps depending on recovery. It should work great.

I like it. I say give it a shot and see how it goes. you can always adjust sets and reps depending on recovery. It should work great.

tkav1980, are you sure 2 sets taken to failure will be enough per exercise? Lets say I do all my exercises 2x8-10 reps. For example, let's say I do dumbbell bench press for my first set to failure (let's say 9 reps). Than I take 3 minutes off and do my second set to failure (let's say 8 reps this time). That would be 2 sets of failure. Is that it? Is that enough?

Last edited:
Sorry to be a pain about this but I've tried routine after routine and can't seem to get it right. I'm a little wary of thinking when on a 3 days a week ABA BAB routine, doing only 2 sets to failure per exercise is sufficient for growth. I'm not saying you're wrong but I'm used to doing ATLEAST 3 sets per exercise.

Last edited:
tkav1980, are you sure 2 sets taken to failure will be enough per exercise? Lets say I do all my exercises 2x8-10 reps. For example, let's say I do dumbbell bench press for my first set to failure (let's say 9 reps). Than I take 3 minutes off and do my second set to failure (let's say 8 reps this time). That would be 2 sets of failure. Is that it? Is that enough?

First set 6-8 reps, 2nd set 10-12 might work better for you. Stimulates more types of muscle fibers.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Iron Mountain 75
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws