over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

45 sets per muscle group to failure each week!?🥺

Very difficult for a person to reach muscle failure. We have too many motor neurons. To recruit enough motor units to lift a given weight, we have to activate too many neurons. A chimp is twice as strong as a human lb per lb because with a chimp, a single motor neuron recruits more motor units. But humans have adapted all these extra motor neurons to achieve fine motor skills like threading a needle or playing a violin and for accuracy like throwing a spear or a football to hit a target far away.

A chimp can't do those things because one signal and the muscle reacts with a large portion of its entire strength. A human would have to generate far more electrical signals to activate an equal number of motor units.

If a human were to recruit all their motor units, like has happened under extreme circumstances, tendons would be ripped from the bone. Like the hiker that got pinned under a 2,000lb rock and pushed it off himself to escape death. Everything was torn but it was more weight than the bench press record at the time. And even then there is nothing to say he couldn't have done it again. And the 16-yr-old Ohio kid who lifted a 3,000lb car off a guy and couldn't explain how he did it.

That someone could get close to firing all type I and II fibers in a single set or a rep in a specific muscle or group in a gym under non-threatening circumstances is not realistic to me. I don't care what they say. And if they did, it would be devastating to their health.

When you see a Nat Geo video of the snow leopard chasing the snowshoe hare and the hare just barely escapes, people feel good for the hare. But that hare will likely die soon later anyway because the exertion was so intense that even the hare's central nervous system is in shock and the immune system collapses, everything collapses.

The closest I ever got was doing crevasse rescue training in Washington state where outr #3 guy was 200+ lbs and the sun was high and ice had melted just enough where the slings just didn't have enough friction to hold and I couldn't get him out. The water was rising and he needed out of there. I had to pull him out. A few inches, tie off, a few inches, tie off. Finally got him out and I slept the rest of that day and all night through. I was demolished.

Very difficult for a person to reach muscle failure. We have too many motor neurons. To recruit enough motor units to lift a given weight, we have to activate too many neurons. A chimp is twice as strong as a human lb per lb because with a chimp, a single motor neuron recruits more motor units. But humans have adapted all these extra motor neurons to achieve fine motor skills like threading a needle or playing a violin and for accuracy like throwing a spear or a football to hit a target far away.

A chimp can't do those things because one signal and the muscle reacts with a large portion of its entire strength. A human would have to generate far more electrical signals to activate an equal number of motor units.

If a human were to recruit all their motor units, like has happened under extreme circumstances, tendons would be ripped from the bone. Like the hiker that got pinned under a 2,000lb rock and pushed it off himself to escape death. Everything was torn but it was more weight than the bench press record at the time. And even then there is nothing to say he couldn't have done it again. And the 16-yr-old Ohio kid who lifted a 3,000lb car off a guy and couldn't explain how he did it.

That someone could get close to firing all type I and II fibers in a single set or a rep in a specific muscle or group in a gym under non-threatening circumstances is not realistic to me. I don't care what they say. And if they did, it would be devastating to their health.

When you see a Nat Geo video of the snow leopard chasing the snowshoe hare and the hare just barely escapes, people feel good for the hare. But that hare will likely die soon later anyway because the exertion was so intense that even the hare's central nervous system is in shock and the immune system collapses, everything collapses.

The closest I ever got was doing crevasse rescue training in Washington state where outr #3 guy was 200+ lbs and the sun was high and ice had melted just enough where the slings just didn't have enough friction to hold and I couldn't get him out. The water was rising and he needed out of there. I had to pull him out. A few inches, tie off, a few inches, tie off. Finally got him out and I slept the rest of that day and all night through. I was demolished.
What do you consider muscle failure for bodybuilding?

For example, quads are my freakiest body part and usually my most taxing workout of the week. In the hours after training I feel like I've been in a car wreck - not injured or hurting, but that very rattled feeling you get after an extremely traumatic event. Is that coming close to muscle failure, adrenaline dump, CNS fatigue from extreme spinal loading? To me it sounds like a lesser version of the leopard-hare you described.

In bodybuilding, the term 'failure' is shorthand for "positive failure," meaning the person cannot lift the weight anymore by themselves, let's not overcomplicate this.

Do I believe he did 40 sets a bodypart ? Yes.. do I believe he did them all to failure ?? Absolutely not
One thing to consider is that after several sets to failure for any bodypart, it's going to be so exhausted that you will have a pretty easy time hitting actual failure, basically, they just start shutting down from byproducts of anaerobic metabolism very abruptly at a certain point when they are pushed that far.

I agree though, the premise is impossible, 40 sets to actual failure would be rhabdo for sure it would seem to me.

What do you consider muscle failure for bodybuilding?

For example, quads are my freakiest body part and usually my most taxing workout of the week. In the hours after training I feel like I've been in a car wreck - not injured or hurting, but that very rattled feeling you get after an extremely traumatic event. Is that coming close to muscle failure, adrenaline dump, CNS fatigue from extreme spinal loading? To me it sounds like a lesser version of the leopard-hare you described.
Yes. Pretty much. Don't get me wrong, I think you can get close. People are tearing muscles all the time. What we normally call failure is really just total fatigue. That would be where your muscles are completely depleted and your nervous system is spent. But even then you might be limping out to your car feeling like your thighs are ready to buckle but if a velociraptor came tearing across the parking lot, you'd be in a full sprint in no time. I've had leg days where I have to use the railing on the steps to the showers because I'd be tumbling down those things. And no way I can go in the next day and expect to blow the roof off the place. There's no training them again that week.

My thought process is that we can't really charge up the chemistry to truly reach total muscular failure but through volume, with intensity, you can activate the majority of the units and fibers in that muscle or muscle group. And that's all we need to do. That's more than enough to nudge your body to adapt to that stress. Especially over time.

But in my opinion, and has always been, that once you reach a set to the point where all the strength you muster will not complete another rep with the target muscle. That's it. And there's no hitting the muscle from a different angle after that either because all you're doing then is lightening the load on the target muscle or group and partially adding an entirely different group.

But doing 20 sets on a muscle or group is crazy to me. Like 8 sets of preacher curls, then 5 sets of hammer curls, then 5 more sets of concentration curls. What do you think that bicep is going to do after that 10th set?

Depends on exercise selection. MAYBE if you're doing isolations, but no way you could get close taking a heavy squat to failure for multiple sets.

(y)

Depends on exercise selection. MAYBE if you're doing isolations, but no way you could get close taking a heavy squat to failure for multiple sets.

I think that failing exercises like concentrated curls or lateral raises is easy and not threatening. The squat is a different story, if you fail, you can be crushed. I mean, some guys have destroyed their legs doing squats or some kind of leg press.

The deadlift aligns itself with the stories of people lifting 1,500-pound cars, so we know that strongman chasing records of 500 kilos and up are on the brink of a heart attack or something.

I seriously doubt that in these studies the subjects actually go to true muscle failure. For example, a study (Brigatto FA, Lima LEM, Germano MD, Aoki MS, Braz TV, Lopes CR. High Resistance-Training Volume Enhances Muscle Thickness in Resistance-Trained Men. J Strength Cond Res. 2019 Dec 20. doi: 10.1519/JSC.0000000000003413. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 31868813.) claimed that a group was doing 8 x 8-10 on back squats *to failure* with *60 seconds* of rest, *twice a week* on top of many other similar exercises (they even did 16 x 8-10 on leg curls to failure with 60 seconds of rest).

Anyone who has ever trained hard on squats before know that going to true failure for 8 sets of 8-10 reps ain't gonna happen with only 60 seconds of rest.

Another issue that I see with hypertrophy studies is that they don't account for several factors that play an important role in muscle growth:

1. Nutrition
2. Rest
3. Amount of muscle previously gained (someone who has 30lbs of muscle over his normal weight will gain more slowly than someone who is 5lbs over his normal weight)
4. Genetics
5. Life stress

It is possible that the luck of the draw can "stack" an experimental group with more people having a more positive profile for those 5 factors, that group will naturally tend to gain more, regardless of the protocol.

A last point is that beginners and even intermediates just can't push themselves as hard as more advanced lifters. A beginner's "failure" is not the same intensity level as an advanced lifter. In part because of pain tolerance but also neurological efficiency; an advanced lifter being able to recruit more fibers, making each set more effective.

So it is quite possible for beginners to require more volume because each set is less effective individually and they cannot inflict as much damage per set as advanced lifters.

A last point is that beginners and even intermediates just can't push themselves as hard as more advanced lifters. A beginner's "failure" is not the same intensity level as an advanced lifter. In part because of pain tolerance but also neurological efficiency; an advanced lifter being able to recruit more fibers, making each set more effective.

So it is quite possible for beginners to require more volume because each set is less effective individually and they cannot inflict as much damage per set as advanced lifters.
I'd wager if they were serious a beginner could push themselves harder as they won't be near as afraid of injury as a much more experienced lifter who is going to have a way higher level of strength and probably multiple injuries already.

I trained way harder in my late teens than I ever did after because I was invincible until I tore a pec,then I worried about pushing it too far.

But I also forget everyone on forums are special people and drugs are only 1% of the equation and the finishing touch lol

Bumping this up. I did an experiment and jacked volume up for 2 parts that recover well, side and rear delts.

All other parts are 6-8 sets total a week
All sets of all body part taken to failure like I always do.

Rear and side delts (sets are for each of them total sets per week)
.week 1 12 total sets each
Week 2 15 sets
, week 3 18 sets,
week 4 21 sets,
week 5 24 sets.
Halfway through week 5 I feel fried, just not looking forward to the gym and muscles tired. Imo 18 sets was the upper limit.

Not sure I have enough time to do that!
I know for sure I don't. Someone with a family, kids, job and other life responsibilities it would be tough to do. Plus I would never recover.

“Doing a really hard workout and being sore for 10 days afterwards and bragging about it is like putting shards of glass in your shoes and then bragging and being proud of how much you bleed”. - Hany Rambod 3:58 in the video clip.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Peterwilliam
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131