advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

As humans, does our metabolic rate vary as much as we think?

jrs

Registered
I'm not sure if there's a way to truly calculate all the calories a person burns as there's so many variables (maybe a thyroid test would give an estimate?), but even in theory, are the very lean "genetically gifted" guys who eat junk food all day owners of high metabolisms compared to those who gain weight on 2500 calories a day?

edit: talking about basal metabolic rate not including calorie expenditure via exercise. i believe anybody can have a high metabolism. just a function of work

I don't know how you can measure it, but it does vary a lot. I heard "fidgeting" is an important factor. Some people will fall in their comfy chair and basically sit like a statue for hours. Others will change position every few minutes, play with things, move the legs, etc. All these little movements add up to a lot of calories over 24 hours.

BMR doesn't vary as much as people think. You can predict BMR pretty damn accurately just by looking at a persons stats.

What differs is peoples appetites (fatter people eat more - rather than due to slow metabolism) ) and very lean or thin people often don't eat as much as they think/claim.

I don't know how you can measure it, but it does vary a lot. I heard "fidgeting" is an important factor. Some people will fall in their comfy chair and basically sit like a statue for hours. Others will change position every few minutes, play with things, move the legs, etc. All these little movements add up to a lot of calories over 24 hours.

Fidgeting wouldn't count as BMR though, right? More like calories burned through daily activity than metabolism as such.

I was watching "Biggest Loser" last week and everyone had some kind of arm band on. So I went online and found them at the 24hr Fitness website. They measure how many calories you've burned in a day. You plug it into your PC and then pull up a list of the things you've eaten for the day. It shows the difference between cals in and out. I thought it was pretty cool.

As for metabolism you just need to experiment with your macronutrient ratios to figure out what works best for you. It's different for everyone.

PB

BMR doesn't vary as much as people think. You can predict BMR pretty damn accurately just by looking at a persons stats.

What differs is peoples appetites (fatter people eat more - rather than due to slow metabolism) ) and very lean or thin people often don't eat as much as they think/claim.

+1

O/T
you know... you have a lot of great posts my friend. you should be nominated for featured member some time

I was watching "Biggest Loser" last week and everyone had some kind of arm band on. So I went online and found them at the 24hr Fitness website. They measure how many calories you've burned in a day. You plug it into your PC and then pull up a list of the things you've eaten for the day. It shows the difference between cals in and out. I thought it was pretty cool.

Is that the Bodybugg? Heard of it but haven't checked it out yet.

+1

O/T
you know... you have a lot of great posts my friend. you should be nominated for featured member some time

Thanks, but featured member is for guys with great physiques :D

O/T

I agree 110%, and that's why I've already nominated KS a few times myself. I've learned A LOT from your posts bro. :) As Big Bapper would say, RESPECT. :p

As for the physique thing, post a pic (doing it ala Phil here lol :D ) and let us be judges... ;)

Agreed. Once you have a BMR accounting for activity levels, and you establish a base line of protein its just about calories in and calories out after that.

thank you! Couldnt have said it better myself, i see it all the time. Skinny guys always tell me how much they eat and cant gain weight for nothing..... then i ask what did you eat today and they go well i havent had anything today or a couple of pop tarts... ect.

As for metabolism you just need to experiment with your macronutrient ratios to figure out what works best for you. It's different for everyone.

PB

How could that possibly be accurate?

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
GFly
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner