over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Getting too far out in offseason?

9muscle9

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
So my show is this sunday and im dying a little bit, the only thing keeping me going is knowing I can eat whatever the fuck I like after the show, and I like to plan out how im going to get to my offseason goal weight and size.

I was just wondering (those who compete) how different your offseason weight is from your contest weight?

I have dropped 40lbs to get down to 210 and felt like it was a little too much, on the one hand I did manage to gain 20+lbs lean mass this year, but on the other hand I also hand too loose an awful amount to get down to contest shape.

I feel like overdoing it and getting quite far out might be a good way to build muscle but it would require longer slower form of dieting say 24-25 weeks as opposed to 12-16 weeks to not drop it all so quickly and sacrifice a lot of muscle.

Any thoughts on this would be great :)

Oh and here is a picture of how fat I got, and one from 2 weeks ago.

Progress picture 255 - 210.jpg

I'll be able to give you a better idea in ohh say about 18 weeks lol. I went on a phase where I felt disenfranchised from BB and got into strongman and powerlifting for about a year. Between that and injuries I went from 12% BF to 16.5%(via calipers). NOW IMHO that is just too much to get off in a prep, but I started at 20 weeks. I DID manage to get my offseason weight past a sticking point of about 240 to 258... How much of that will translate into stage weight, if any, remains to be seen.

In the future I do not plan on getting over 12% again.

When I was younger I was capable of the big swings in size. But as I got older I found it harder and more beneficial to stay leaner.
That being said my rule of thumb is to still see abs. Bodyfat no higher than say 15%.

Although not universal, and it is just an observation, but it seems that for the most part, the guys that keep their bodyfat in check in the offseason tend to have a have more grainy, vascular look when they diet down. Their skins seems to be stretched across their skin... However, this is also true for the guys that run longer preps knowing that their bodyfat got a little high... It really just comes with proper planning and knowing how much you need to lose to get the look you are trying to achieve.

But it's been mentioned before and John Meadows has some stuff on his website about it; their are a lot negatives that can come along with letting body fat creep out of a healthy level, such as insulin resistance, leptin resistance, increased estrogen and anabolic resistance...

Me personally about 40-45 lbs at least the first two shows I did...I wasn't shredded either time but I don't believe that had anything to do with my starting point, more so with flaws in my diet along the way.

I'm not competing again for a while but I want to be about 15-20 lbs heavier in better condition than last time so I anticipate having to drop 30-40 again depending on starting point.

I like to enjoy myself in the offseason so dropping a good amount of weight may not be the most pleasant or the best thing but it's worth it when I get to enjoy myself and not diet and be obsessive about food and cardio year round.

Interesting thoughts on this, but all the same general sort of idea's,

I will be having 2 years off from competition and plan on pushing up too a big offseason weight (275-280) and then taking a different approach to my diet when I finally get ready to compete again.

I think I need another 35-40lbs of stage weight before I start being able to do some damage in the mens class.

I would have thought keeping in 20-30 minutes cardio per day and some peptides or lower dose GH year round would be an effective way too keep the bodyfat a little tighter whislt still growing.

For example I think my appetite really did start to increase when I added in the 20 minutes cardio per day at the start of the prep at 16 weeks out.

Although not universal, and it is just an observation, but it seems that for the most part, the guys that keep their bodyfat in check in the offseason tend to have a have more grainy, vascular look when they diet down. Their skins seems to be stretched across their skin... However, this is also true for the guys that run longer preps knowing that their bodyfat got a little high... It really just comes with proper planning and knowing how much you need to lose to get the look you are trying to achieve.

But it's been mentioned before and John Meadows has some stuff on his website about it; their are a lot negatives that can come along with letting body fat creep out of a healthy level, such as insulin resistance, leptin resistance, increased estrogen and anabolic resistance...

One of the main reasons I was asking this was because of what john meadows said about anabolic and insulin resistance and the guy is smart as they come so it would have been stupid to ignore his thoughts on the subject, I didn't read about increase estrogen or the leptin resistance, but yet another reason too stay a little tighter this year.

Just up the dose.. I Got pretty Big and strong for me.. With 600mg test eq and deca

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've done the 45lb weight loss for a show thing but never will again. A top guy from USAs today me...20lbs from contest weight if you're planning on competing in the same division, 35lbs from previous contest weight if you're going up a division.

Depends on how much weight you are adding. Are you going up 1 or 2 classes. Then you may need to go higher. Breaking a new higher weight plateau probably need more.

Everyone has a different "comfort zone". For the naturally chunkier lad, staying 10% is going to be a nightmare and your calories will stay so low that you won't gain much muscle (if you are looking at jumping weight classes etc) and also you won't have many places to pull cals from when dieting. That being said, losing all vascularity/abs/shape is a death sentence and quick way to waste an off season. I don't think anyone needs to get above 15% body fat (you can choose to, but it's delusional to say it's needed), but some people can't stay single digits and progress.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

Thank-you for the thoughts on this guys, im naturally lean and have never been so high in bodyfat that I couldn't see the outline of my abs, So I think I can afford to get up nice and heavy and enjoy the feeling of being strong as fuck and enjoying food whislt I can.

However I will be keeping in cardio on off days as im following the Doggcrapp method (which suggests cardio on off days anyway) after my show is over.

My diet is all planned out now as well, and I feel like over the next 2 years I should be able to make some spectacular improvements.

MEAL 1)
6 eggs, 1 cup grated cheese, 5-6 slices sandwich ham
3 cups of oats with cinnamon, 3 tbsp. honey, 1 tbsp. jam
small handful of almonds

MEAL 2)
60g Protein shake
90 waxy maize
25ml olive oil

MEAL 3)
400g chicken breast + seasoning
500g of sweet potato + cinnamon
25g grass-fed butter
½ bag of lettuce

MEAL 4)
375g minced beef + tikka masala curry sauce
500g diced white potato
100g spinach or pea’s

Train

MEAL 5)
60g Protein shake
90g Waxy maize
1 cup oats
1 tbsp. honey

MEAL 6)
200g ground turkey + korma curry sauce
2 cups of white rice

MEAL 7)
200g ground pork + hoi-sin sauce
2 cups of white rice
100g spinach or pea’s

MEAL 8)
60g Caesin protein

I was the lightest in my division; so this time around my stage weight will be different. it's all about improvements

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity