over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

How much are u guys LEG PRESSING

Dang thats alot of plates are you guys doing full range of motion and flexing at the top before lock out or just doing fast partial reps with all those frigging plates. Just wondering as I usually do Leg press after squats and usually only need to use 6-8 plates total to get a good pump out of it. MM

I started doing one leg , leg press cause I was too lazy to load up the machine, actually turned out to be great for my devleopment, with one at a time can get up to 8 a side for 12ish. Seems to hit aductor and glute minimus almost like doing a lunge.

full range of motion with feet slightly more than shoulder width apart and positioned at top half of platform. all the way to the chest.
11 plates each side, 3 in the middle. Depending on where in the routine I am doing the press. 12-20 reps.

Now I know why

bigbaldbulldog said:
at a body weight of 175lbs i used 20 plates (900lbs) for 8 sets of 12-15 reps and took a plate off and did a drop set on my last one gettign 4-6 reps on each plate dropped..so i guess you could call it a 10 drop set..

The thing is i see most 80% of guys doing leg press with a 1/4 - 1/2 lowering range and call it a rep...i brought the plateform all the way down till it bottomed out then i pressed from there..well past the 90' range they say..it was more like a 120' my legs looked more like a V then a square corner...

the deeper the better i felt..at 5ft 6 175lbs i had 31 in thighs and 19 in calves at 9%..now that i am 37years old and my knees are shot and do not go past 90 and that still hurts...still got the size,shape and look but not the strength..good luck guys you can have the heavy weights...LOL ;)

You come to my gym and do leg extensions with a 5 pound weight!!

i hit 32 plates plus my partner on top (185lbs) for 15 reps. i always wrap my knees for my heavy work sets for protection.

Depends on the leg press machine. In one gym I was a member there were
two machine made by different companies. One machine I could load up and
do 12+ reps, the other I could not load up and do more than a few reps.
It looked like there was about a 15 degree difference in the angle.

BTW, I once saw the bar of a leg press machine break because it was
overloaded (TK Star I think) . Watch your feet. :eek:

gooey said:
call it cheating or a partial but for the same reason u mentioned I will not bend my knees farther then that. I never squat and always do a a leg press or hack squat machine but never a full barbell squat and my legs have grown like weeds. Its all in the feel and how u connect that mind to muscle interaction. I want to keep my knees so I do not go down all the way.

I remembered reading this thread a while ago... so i looked it up. Wow what i have learned in this long period of time, opinions change. I competely agree with what Gooey says above. My legs have improved alot in the past year with the advice above and this coming year when i step on stage my legs will have totally transformed. I cant wait to see them lean, as they are growing like crazy in a good way since i have incorporated the above (which i learned through trial and error myself.. then come here to read the thread and it matches!). Iv done 1660x12 (14 per side plus 2 100s per side) but it was probably cheating my ass off as i feel i probably didnt go very deep. Today i believe i got a legit 11 plates per side for a 90 degree MAYBE a little further for 19 reps. Slow decent... SLIGHT pause....squeeeeeze the weight up, dont press it up. Im going to slowly go up in weight as im clean now and looking to start back up in 4 weeks... but with PERFECT form. Im totally hooked now and a big believer on using the weight to stress the muscle... not worried about how much weight i am moving (only as an indicator of progress).. FEEEEEEEEEL IT!!!!!

Its funny as you progress and time passes... you learn how much you thought you knew in the past... can just imagine what i will learn in the future about what i THOUGHT i knew now......

weird, my knees only hurt when i dont go full-range. i try and stop somewhere in the middle in a squat or legpress it seems to stress my knees more. dont know what i can leg press, i dont count the plates i just keep adding them till i hit whatever target rep range i am shooting for. havent leg press'd since phil has been training me. i seem to do best with higher reps 15-30 but man going heavier for 10 or below is so much easier but i just dont get the growth.

my gym has a nebula leg press, man those things are sweet. same one coleman use's in cost of redemption, holds over 2,500lbs.

i always used to like to superset leg ext with leg press, less plate loading and hell of a burn in the quads

I am the same way

edge250 said:
weird, my knees only hurt when i dont go full-range. i try and stop somewhere in the middle in a squat or legpress it seems to stress my knees more. dont know what i can leg press, i dont count the plates i just keep adding them till i hit whatever target rep range i am shooting for. havent leg press'd since phil has been training me. i seem to do best with higher reps 15-30 but man going heavier for 10 or below is so much easier but i just dont get the growth.

my gym has a nebula leg press, man those things are sweet. same one coleman use's in cost of redemption, holds over 2,500lbs.

If i don't go all the way down it hurts my knees more.

im pretty sure that once you break a certain point on the eccentric the weight transfers from the knees to the hips.

that makes sense conan and probably why i had the it band injury in the hip area, cause of the deep range of motion and stress being transfered from the knee to the hip

I started doin legs at home and don't have a leg press but have a squat rack and just do squats for 2 main sets of 365 for 6 to 8 reps then sissy squats and finish with leg exten and have had the best quad growth by concentrating on going up in weight whenever possible on the squat.

I think the squat is the KING of quad exercises!

Massnup

massnup said:
I started doin legs at home and don't have a leg press but have a squat rack and just do squats for 2 main sets of 365 for 6 to 8 reps then sissy squats and finish with leg exten and have had the best quad growth by concentrating on going up in weight whenever possible on the squat.

I think the squat is the KING of quad exercises!

what are sissy squats?

Conan21 said:
what are sissy squats?

You hold a weight plate or dumbbell close to your body kinda like in your lap but in the bend where your waist and your legs bend then you roll up on your toes and drop down into like a dc quad stretch with your knees almost hitting the ground. What you wanna do though is grasp a upright bar or something with your left hand for balance and hold the weight with your right hand while descending down. That was hard to explain... did that help?

Sissy squats are awesome if your gym has the machine for it. It anchors your feet to the ground where the motion looks like your sitting in a chair, but there is no chair there.

I know what you mean about pain in the knees on leg press. This is what i have found to fix that little problem...

Always start leg extensions all the way up to 200lbs x 20 reps. Also a few light sets of leg curls. Blood should be flowin and knees should be pretty lubed up by then. Start off at like 4 plates and increase 2 plates per set til you hit your top set. On the decent go very slow.. concentrate on feeling the muscle stretch and resist the weight... you wanna stop all momentum here. There should be no problem with a slight pause at the bottom, then SQUEEZE the weight up, do not press it up. You will feel a HUGE difference if you do it this way. Hurts ALOT more too haha (in a good way).

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws