advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

how much does a personal trainer make in a year?

Depends on:
Where in the country yuo are - coasts are higher
Whether yuo're in a club or private - private is higher
How good yuo are - there's less and less difference now; most taineres aren't worth the money they're paid

Range is anywhere from $25 per session to hundreds depending on the above

This is similar to asking "how long is a piece of string"?

Like Dad mentioned, there are a lot of variables. Some PTs are barely scraping by, and some are doing pretty durn good.

The stuff said is definitely true, but also how many hours you work is a large factor. It's very hard to schedule back to back clients all day long. You usually have breaks throughout the day, or on random days, so if you want to actually work 40 hours per week it turns into more like 60. Plus you have to do planning outside the hour you're with the client. Unless you're getting paid at least $40/hr I don't think it's worth it long-term (though that depends on how much you want to make each year.

The stuff said is definitely true, but also how many hours you work is a large factor. It's very hard to schedule back to back clients all day long. You usually have breaks throughout the day, or on random days, so if you want to actually work 40 hours per week it turns into more like 60. Plus you have to do planning outside the hour you're with the client. Unless you're getting paid at least $40/hr I don't think it's worth it long-term (though that depends on how much you want to make each year.

not to mention no shows that you won't get paid for, but have booked.

$$$$

I have a friend in Birmingham AL who has her civilian folks pay by the month, in advance. Does diet tips (that they rearely follow) and three-four a week
basic sessions for 1,000.00/month. Only has three that do this but, hey the odd socks in between add up at 50-60.00/hour for them. Also helps bodybuilders with posing routines (her specialty)
She made about 65K last year, which ain't too shabby for a trainer in B'Ham.

I actually am a personal trainer and there are alot of factor the 3 biggest are location(is there alot of people with money where u work) personality (pretty much you sale yourself if your enthusiastic and know what your talking about not to mention YOKED, people tend to want to buy PT off you)and last if you work for a club or for yourself. Starting out it is best to work for a good club then once you get a bunch of clients F*** the club and start your own buisness youll probably make twice as much. Youll have to remember though its all really based on commision so you better be a good salesman and have a broad area of knowledge because most of your clients are not gonna wanna be bodybuilders, mostly firm and tone, lose the gut, and shit like that and you wanna do things that the client cannot do without you if you just throw him on the bench press or leg press and say give me 12 he or she could just do that themselves and have no need for you or to be spending 60-?? $$ an hour if you can accomplish this you could make a shit load of money not to mention the first of the year you tend to make alot of money because of new years and everyone wants to get in shape for there resoloution well i hope that helped and let you know exactly what it takes to be a good personal trainer

i just got certified and i've got 2 clients so far. each paying $100 a month. i know thats not much money but i'm doing this and still working at my regular job. it's easy and 200 bucks a month gives me money to support my juice habit. plus it's only for a couple hours a week.

First time I went to US 4 years ago I asked to the local LA Fitness PT manager to guess how much I could earn in a month working over there, she said around 1500 bucks, the amount had to be higher switching to Frog's gym but not a lot, my conclusion was that with all the new expenses I had to cope with, including house rent, car purchasing and manteniance and health insurance, it was an unconfortable amount of money for a decent living.

Where I live its not usual to hire personal trainers since the gym always provide for assistance with no extra costs and people by now expects exactly for this, anyway they earn 25-30 euros per session, however clients are still too infrequent to rely on this kind of job.

That girl from TV's "Workout" charges $400 per hour. Others make $20-25.

I have a friend, she charges $100 minimum and pulls in about 200K in a year.

I make about $45K but I work part time. It would be about double that if I were full time.

Yeh that pretty impressive the price they charge you guys , but in Aruba is 250 dollars with dieet and 3 three a week if you want 5 time a week that will be 350 $ and plus the dieet ........

Maybe i should move to Aruba. Seriously though, in Cali a PT can easily earn $75-100/hr at a decent gym. I used to watch that "Workout" show, f-ing lame. Unfortunately this is how personal training works. In fact, here's the secret to successful personal training session for most clients (your typical middle-aged, ignorant, overweight housewife):

1. Entertainment training: the colorful stuff in the corner that doesn't get real results, but requires instructions and a vivid imagination to use. This includes bosu balls, those spongy blocks you stand on to throw you off balance, various weighted bars and odd-shaped implements that are usually laminated in a colorful latex rubber, swiss balls, and those half-foam roller things. I'm surprised I can't think of more, but I tend to avoid that corner of the gym. These exercises require balance and some finesse and thus seem difficult, making the client believe they are getting the "secret exercises" needed to achieve their goals.

2. Abs: most every client thinks abs should be done extensively to qualify for a good workout. It burns and most clients will be out of breath by doing them, making them seem highly effective. This portion of the workout should take about 15 minutes, maybe 20, and during this time you should socialize with the client so they enjoy the time in the gym and look forward to your company during the next session. Besides, it's not like they actually do abs the entire time--most trainers sit on a swiss ball and BS with the client.

3. Strength training: with machines or dumbbells. A couple key exercises can be used so they feel like they are getting the "whole package," as they know they are supposed to lift weights but generally don't like to, and certainly don't want to bulk up (like that'll ever happen).

4. Finish with cardio: by doing cardio at the end they leave out of breath and sweaty, and thinking back about all the other stuff they did while in this state makes it seem more demanding and effective than it really is.

I've seen clients stay with trainers for years because they are active (everyone knows they should be active) and it's socially acceptable and entertaining. They might not have made any progress in the last year, but it really doesn't matter if this process is carried out effectively.

Maybe I'm just ranting here, but most personal training is a joke.

Maybe i should move to Aruba. Seriously though, in Cali a PT can easily earn $75-100/hr at a decent gym. I used to watch that "Workout" show, f-ing lame. Unfortunately this is how personal training works. In fact, here's the secret to successful personal training session for most clients (your typical middle-aged, ignorant, overweight housewife):

1. Entertainment training: the colorful stuff in the corner that doesn't get real results, but requires instructions and a vivid imagination to use. This includes bosu balls, those spongy blocks you stand on to throw you off balance, various weighted bars and odd-shaped implements that are usually laminated in a colorful latex rubber, swiss balls, and those half-foam roller things. I'm surprised I can't think of more, but I tend to avoid that corner of the gym. These exercises require balance and some finesse and thus seem difficult, making the client believe they are getting the "secret exercises" needed to achieve their goals.

2. Abs: most every client thinks abs should be done extensively to qualify for a good workout. It burns and most clients will be out of breath by doing them, making them seem highly effective. This portion of the workout should take about 15 minutes, maybe 20, and during this time you should socialize with the client so they enjoy the time in the gym and look forward to your company during the next session. Besides, it's not like they actually do abs the entire time--most trainers sit on a swiss ball and BS with the client.

3. Strength training: with machines or dumbbells. A couple key exercises can be used so they feel like they are getting the "whole package," as they know they are supposed to lift weights but generally don't like to, and certainly don't want to bulk up (like that'll ever happen).

4. Finish with cardio: by doing cardio at the end they leave out of breath and sweaty, and thinking back about all the other stuff they did while in this state makes it seem more demanding and effective than it really is.

I've seen clients stay with trainers for years because they are active (everyone knows they should be active) and it's socially acceptable and entertaining. They might not have made any progress in the last year, but it really doesn't matter if this process is carried out effectively.

Maybe I'm just ranting here, but most personal training is a joke.

I am the total opposite of everything you just described. The ONLYYYY thing you hit right was the personality. They must like you and enjoy spending time with you. Other than that, you are there to get results. Bosu balls have their place as well as exercise combinations, but should not be the core of the program. Any time i see a smoke and mirrors trainer who doesnt get results it makes me sick. He is the same as a con artist to me. I dont hesitate to correct them in front of their clients whenever i catch bs. They deserve it. Shit.. there is one trainer at my gym that i am friends with. He is far from the most knowledgable and informed person.... BUT... he knows the basics.. he knows how to formulate a program and is GREAT at motivating and pushing his clients. Very intense and lots of energy. I would refer someone to him ANY time, not to mention hes funny, always happy, and his clients love him.

I'm a PT as well. I switched from a chain Gym to Independant training at a PT Only gym. I have found that a lot of clients want to workout and have a trainer just so they can continue to eat some things they want and go out and drink with workers, etc. In other words they are really on a treadmill, making minal progress, but not lossing ground either. It frustrates me, but they know what to do. Clients become your friends and you try to change them, but they only change if they want to. The VAST majority of my clients do not want to be "ripped" or "huge". When I was larger, I scared away some potential clients. I stay a bit smaller and lean all year, but I really like it now. I make $50 per hour, but must pay $5 to the gym. That's VERY LOW and I am grateful to ya Michael and BodySculpting!!!

I am a PT manager in the Chicago area. I can tell you that some trainers have a hard time living just doing training. I have some as low as $12 per hour for new trainers and as much as $32 per hour for seasoned trainers. I have some trainers work only 10 hours per week and some that work up to 40+ hours per week. When I was a trainer I was working 55-60 hours per week at my training rate. I did this for about 6-8 months till it was time to cut back to enjoy my summer. That is what I like about training, you can make your own check and schedule which you don't get to do at most jobs. Bottom line I feel if you do something you like then the money will come, a good income doesn't come over night night (for most people) it takes work.

I don't do it full time because I have a 9 to 5. Wich is what "most" p.t.'s do. Unless you have your own studio and such then you can command a better fee. For me it's anywhere from $50 to $125.00 and hour. All depends what they need and for how long. However I am very blessed that my clients have the money, trust me, and are willing to give me some referrals. God has blessed me here like I said.(I don't take any credit for this) But you have to know your stuff. So when you sell yourself you'll sound like you are worth every penny you're asking your potential client for.

I have a friend, she charges $100 minimum and pulls in about 200K in a year.

I make about $45K but I work part time. It would be about double that if I were full time.

Sure and .... sure.

I always love to read these types of threads. "I have a friend".... is always a good start. Good Lord....

Part time at 45k? Not that it can't be done but it is HIGHLY unlikely working in a gym or anything that is appointment related. If you do the math, it becomes very obvious why: 45k part time so 90k full time is about 7500 a month for 12 months or about 2000 a week. This is if you are working 40 hours a week. Very few trainers in gyms or studios have 40 straight hours per week booked with clients and even if you did that would be 50 an hour. The 50 an hour is doable but not the straight 40 hours every week, every month for a year. Nice try.

The 200k "friend" is even funnier. Gee, only 16k a month training people? LOL 4k a week for a year? The only chance you would have to even come close to this is training celebrities and usually the people that train celebrities don't have them booked back to back, either. They have a few.

These threads are almost as funny as the threads where everyone claims to be 240 and ripped or 260 at 5%. Everyone is huge and ripped and everyone is making tons of money. lol

Skip

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Atomgear