advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

I have yet to see 1 valid argument as to why food is more effective than whey protein

I used to have 3-4 meals pr day (out of 7-8 meals) consisting of just a shake and some carbs from bread, rice or the likes. This was in addition to my shake before and after workouts. My body had this soft, puffy look. When I switched to only whole food meals throughout the day and only kept the shakes before and after workouts my body looked way different. I lost the soft, puffy look and got harder and also felt more full. To me there is a difference, too many shakes and my body does not look good.

I have done all whole food meals for 7 meals a day.

I have done 3 meals and 4 shakes a day as well.

I saw absolutely no difference in either one.

Total macros for the day were the exact same. I wouldn't replace ALL of my food with shakes, but I have no problem substituting a shake for a meal if I don't have time to eat.

I used to have 3-4 meals pr day (out of 7-8 meals) consisting of just a shake and some carbs from bread, rice or the likes. This was in addition to my shake before and after workouts. My body had this soft, puffy look. When I switched to only whole food meals throughout the day and only kept the shakes before and after workouts my body looked way different. I lost the soft, puffy look and got harder and also felt more full. To me there is a difference, too many shakes and my body does not look good.

That's because your shakes didn't meet label claims, or they did and you just bought crap.

supplements are not regulated by the FDA, food is. So you can't really be sure if your protein powder contains what it says.

how about just the fact that you're relying on a non-regulated for-profit company as your source of protein.. and DC just recently told us all how scummy and unreliable that industry is.

when your gulping down those countless shakes instead of "real" food do you even really know what you're putting in your body?

This is the only real life reason. Everything else is academic.

So just get a quality product, and you won't be at a disadvantage. If anything, food is not as nutritious anymore due to the various chemicals, lack of nutrients from the soil, etc, etc. So if you get quality certified supplements, at least you know you are getting the real nutrients you are seeking.

It's all about quality.

If your food is higher quality than your powders, then eat more solid foods.

If you powders are top quality, and your real food is questionable (more likely than some of us want to realize) then go powders.

It's not that the protein drinks are bad, it's that you need other types of food to keep the GI tract working properly...and whey protein doesn't give you all the nutrients needed. If you want a more detailed explanation of why, let me know...I'm a GI nurse and could bore you to death with details. The bottom line is that you need some bulk in your food intake.

How about dumping your protein over a bowl of original fiber-one? Is this the kind of bulk your talking about?

Do you know the time frame it takes to digest whey?

Isn't it something like 10 grams an hour? And casein 2 grams an hour? I remember reading that...Is it true?

I think there's some people that think your body digests a full 50g whey protein drink in like 5 minutes...

It's not. There's also at least one study out that found whey superior in terms of elevating protein synthesis.

My gut feeling also tells me your way better off health-wise drinking 500gr of easily digestible protein a day than eating 500 in solid food, simply more stress on an already stressed body.

Last edited:
LOL @ the pros and people in-the-know disproving that crap theory. I also bought this shit early in my "bodybuilding", only to see the truth later on. The people regurgitating this message are either wasting time/money or not making gains at 180lbs lol. This is also the type of message that gets spread around for the kids to believe, the same kids that think diet > drugs, and how the way you lift a weight really matters.

Is test prop different than test e? No, unless one is bunk/underdosed. If you get a shit product you will get shit results, in the same exact way if you were to have morcowaveable chicken fingers and french fries for your "protein and carbs".

Also hilarious about the posters speaking of this so-called "REAL FOOD". haha, do you see how your chicken breast or steak gets to your plate? The animals are on more shit than most of us haha "real food" is gone in america, unless you're farming for yourself.

Protein = Protein. Better yet, whey is a complete protein with all the essential amino acids, a great amino acid profile, high amount of BCAAs, easily digestable, low fat, low carb, etc. etc. If you really think 60g of chicken breast protein is somehow greater than 60g of whey protein, you're spinning your wheels.

Are you simply talking protein or are you also talking about nutrients? If you are simply talking about protein then I don't beleive there will be any difference. However if you are looking at nutrients as a whole then there will be a difference. When we look at food now we break down an say an apple into its macronutrients eg carbs, fats, proteins and its micronutrients eg vitamin A, C, D, etc. However there is more to an apple then these two items. They also have what is being referred to as phytonutrients which we really don't fully understand yet. I feel pretty certain that as time goes on we will identify other nutrients in foods that are very important to overall health.

It wasn't that long ago that they thought they had it all figured out when they discovered macronutrients. Then later they discovered microntrients and thought they had it all figured out. More recently they discovered that we need certain fats and that some are good for us while others are not. All you need to do is go to google news and read some articles in the Health category and you will figure out that we do not have it all figured out.

i see massive lurking at the bottom..

id love to hear ur thoughts on this subject brother...

Are you simply talking protein or are you also talking about nutrients? If you are simply talking about protein then I don't beleive there will be any difference. However if you are looking at nutrients as a whole then there will be a difference. When we look at food now we break down an say an apple into its macronutrients eg carbs, fats, proteins and its micronutrients eg vitamin A, C, D, etc. However there is more to an apple then these two items. They also have what is being referred to as phytonutrients which we really don't fully understand yet. I feel pretty certain that as time goes on we will identify other nutrients in foods that are very important to overall health.

It wasn't that long ago that they thought they had it all figured out when they discovered macronutrients. Then later they discovered microntrients and thought they had it all figured out. More recently they discovered that we need certain fats and that some are good for us while others are not. All you need to do is go to google news and read some articles in the Health category and you will figure out that we do not have it all figured out.

just talking purely protein here. There are many ways to get in nutrients, but that's a whole different story

Last edited:
For years everyone has been saying protein shakes aren't as good as food and you shouldn't drink too many. Not once has any argument been anything other than the following:

FOOD IS BETTER

Why?

BECAUSE ITS FOOD

come on really? Serious parrot syndrome if you ask me

prove me wrong

are you serious?

The only difference I see is digestion. Some get bloat with whey, others don't. Depends on the individual and the quality of the whey. Also, whey is faster absorbed than meat. Otherwise, protein is protein. Your body will break down the protein into aminos and once that happens, it doesn't matter where you got the aminos from. Your body will do the same with L-glutamine from whey as it will from beef. Now, some will argue that the amino profile of certain proteins is better than others. Ultimately if you are getting enough of the essential aminos from any protein source, you are GTG!!

how bout powder from eggs? beef?
its the same shit thats in both, just without the bulk of whole eggs or pounds of meat. whey comes from milk.
so. beef, eggs, milk. all in powdered form, making it way easier to consume than eating a pound of steak or roast, etc, at a time.
bottom line is its easier to ingest. the protein is the same.

whats better then, fish oil caps or eating fish?
tons of greens, or powders and extracts?
its just convenience.
christ, try having to eat 350-400+ grams a day in whole foods.
yr system would be fucked up having to constantly digest big mounds of food.

Last edited:
1)This is the same concept used by people who believe you need to eat 6 meals a day instead of 3. Seriously I don't think the thermogenic effect of breaking food down will make any significant difference in body composition.

2) add some oats/peanut butter to a shake and you have a perfect balance.

3) this doesn't prove anything. I prepare my shakes for the day at night before I go to bed. It is a ritual.

so in addition u think u only need to eat 3 meals a day??

For those competing and really taking it to the next level to achieve very very low bodyfat.. Most start their preps with shakes some meals and whole food some meals..

Some people have little appetite at the start of their preps..
but as your metabolism increases so does your appetite... and soon enough the worst thing about eating is that your ext meal is hours away...

...... When you really start sending your metabolism into over drive your going to want to eat every calorie.. vs drink it...

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws