advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Knee sleeves/wraps , more harm than good.??

Gunsmith

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Question for the guy that wear tight sleeves or wraps when training legs.
If you are uaing them to prevent pain when squating or pressing do you think that it could be doing more harm than good.??
For example , if you can press 10 plates on leg press and your knees start to ache then you put on tight sleeves or wraps and then you can do 14-16 platea with no pain do you think that the compression allowing you to lift more could be allowing you to cause more damage??

If you are uaing them to prevent pain when squating or pressing do you think that it could be doing more harm than good.??
For example , if you can press 10 plates on leg press and your knees start to ache then you put on tight sleeves or wraps and then you can do 14-16 platea with no pain do you think that the compression allowing you to lift more could be allowing you to cause more damage??
it depends - since I started using knee wraps in the heaviest sets, I have no problem with my knees, but I do not bind them tightly like powerlifters, but only to stabilize the knee joint.

I only use sleeves now and for me it’s all about stabilization as I get older.

On the other hand if you’re using too small of sleeves or wraps to try and offset bad form then you are asking for trouble IMO.

it depends - since I started using knee wraps in the heaviest sets, I have no problem with my knees, but I do not bind them tightly like powerlifters, but only to stabilize the knee joint.

I feel like this is best practice

Getting those knee sleeves off is a bitch

I love sleeves, I think the answer to your question is too individual. It also depends on why your knees are aching as well. I have never felt like using sleeves caused me more pain or issues afterwards. I also don’t think sleeves are going to allow you to push THAT much more weight that you would be out lifting your physiology if that makes sense, than say wraps or bench shirt would give you.

Some people use them to bounce out of the hole with too heavy of a weight. If using in a controlled manner, they are great…

I use TK knee sleeves on my elbows and when I forget them I have more pain as far as tendinitis. I think the compression and the warmth help and protect. I actually got the idea from watching Chris Cormier on vhs and he said it was why he never had arm injuries and knock wood 25 years on I haven’t.

I’m on Team Stabilization. Never wrapped mine super tight where it’s uncomfortable wearing them after performing your working set.

Also, piece of mind too since I’ve had surgeries on my knees in the past.

Cage

I've never used knee wraps but I used sleeves when my knees were feeling bad and it helps to keep them warm but I don't think sleeves really add much to the weight. From the looks of wraps they look very effective at keeping the knee safe. I don't think they would do much damage by using them

I remember as a kid the old fellas saying "you'll feel that in your knees when u get to my age"

Didn't think anything of it 30 years ago but my knees ache quite often, even with tons of warming up. I use wraps to keep everything together, not overly tight but tight enough to feel secure

When I did competitive powerlifting in my teens to early 20's I wrapped my knees for the heaviest of sets. Then never wrapped for a couple of decades after I was done with competing. Then in my mid 40's started using knee sleeves and was reminded how helpful on certain sets doing something for warmth and protection for the knees can be very helpful. Now I'm back to wrapping the knees for certain heavier sets and using knee sleeves when I need to generate heat around the knees for warming up and higher rep sets.

I use TK knee sleeves on my elbows and when I forget them I have more pain as far as tendinitis. I think the compression and the warmth help and protect. I actually got the idea from watching Chris Cormier on vhs and he said it was why he never had arm injuries and knock wood 25 years on I haven’t.
TK knee sleeves are unique. I feel they are the best for getting heat generated around the joint. I have multiple brands of knee sleeves and the TK's are by far one of my favorites. They can be a bitch to get on though, I have to sometimes wet them first before rolling them up and sliding them on, and then unrolling. But once on, they are some of the best knee sleeves in my opinion.

I use TK knee sleeves

On a side note: I met Tommy Kono once, at a seminar he put on at the Olympic training center in Colorado Springs. Very cool dude and very passionate about weightlifting, not just Olympic weightlifting. The guy had a legit physique.

I used to use SBD sleeves. I had knee pain due to osteoarthritis. One day I decided to ditch the 7mm neoprene sleeves and replaced them with cheap fabric sleeves that will keep the knee “warm” but offer almost no compression or support. My weights initially took a huge hit but I’ve worked my way back to the poundage’s I was using before switching. Today my knee pain is probably 70% less than it was, and my VMO is far more developed. IMO too much compression/support can cause some of the muscles to not have to work to the degree they should causing imbalances. This is probably highly individual, but that’s my personal experience.

I use sleeves to keep my rather crappy knees stable when squatting or deadlifting and they were a big help!

Fabric ones I'll try next.

On a side note: I met Tommy Kono once, at a seminar he put on at the Olympic training center in Colorado Springs. Very cool dude and very passionate about weightlifting, not just Olympic weightlifting. The guy had a legit physique.
Damn...that a name from the past.
What year was this?

MS

GASP makes the best Tommy Kono are second imo

I stopped going heavy enough that I needed knee wraps. I can squat up to 495 with no pain, any heavier and I wrap my knees, so I never go to 495 anymore.

Years ago conversation with Jay Cutler
Jay: do you squat heavy
Me: yea I have done 585 for 12 reps
Jay: does that hurt your knees?
Me: hell yea, I wrap my knees
Jay: well if it hurts don't do it, I never squat that heavy (pulls up his shorts leg and flexes his massive quad)
Me: WTF? 🤯😮

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
rh8767
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner