advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Knee sleeves/wraps , more harm than good.??

Damn...that a name from the past.
What year was this?

MS
Somewhere in the late 2000's, I briefly looked to see if I could find the date/year I attended the seminar, but no luck. It was around 2009 if I recall correctly. It was more of a celebrity seminar as opposed to an educational seminar on current day technique and programming. The guy was a legend way back in the day, pre-OG. Not too many people know he competed in bodybuilding as well, "Kono was also a successful bodybuilder, winning the Fédération Internationale Haltérophile et Culturiste Mr. Universe titles in 1954, 1955, 1957 and 1961."

I stopped going heavy enough that I needed knee wraps. I can squat up to 495 with no pain, any heavier and I wrap my knees, so I never go to 495 anymore.

Years ago conversation with Jay Cutler
Jay: do you squat heavy
Me: yea I have done 585 for 12 reps
Jay: does that hurt your knees?
Me: hell yea, I wrap my knees
Jay: well if it hurts don't do it, I never squat that heavy (pulls up his shorts leg and flexes his massive quad)
Me: WTF? 🤯😮
Yea Ronnie is the only guy I saw continue to lift heavy when it was no longer necessary. My legs stand out pretty much every gym I go into, even Destination (depending on who’s there that day lol) and I don’t go over 405 I just go ass to grass and use volume and giant sets. Hell there are leg days I don’t go over 225 just to stay feeling fresh. Now that said I do go heavy with volume on leg press, hack squat, etc. but stuff like squats and weighted lunges I keep it lighter. Not just bc I don’t wanna get injured I don’t wanna drop the 10K or whatever it costs to get fixed.

If they help use them. Don’t rely on them though. Just like a belt. I only use them sometimes. I was taught by some pro strongmen to do beltless squats and dead’s too because it helped strengthen your core more. I don’t know if there’s any actual science behind it. But you deb most definitely lift quit a bit heavier wrapped up. And I think it does protect your knees quite a bit.

If they help use them. Don’t rely on them though. Just like a belt. I only use them sometimes. I was taught by some pro strongmen to do beltless squats and dead’s too because it helped strengthen your core more.

I selectively use a belt with squats and dead's for the reason you mention, I want to have 100% core activation at times. Being able to generate maximum core tension connects the lower and upper body to create one complete unit. It's not just for generating more power, but a safety thing as well. Same reason why I selectively use knee sleeves and wrap my knees when necessary.

If they help use them. Don’t rely on them though. Just like a belt. I only use them sometimes. I was taught by some pro strongmen to do beltless squats and dead’s too because it helped strengthen your core more. I don’t know if there’s any actual science behind it. But you deb most definitely lift quit a bit heavier wrapped up. And I think it does protect your knees quite a bit.
I haven’t used a belt in 20 years and I think overall, unless you are injured, it takes away from the benefits of heavy squatting and doin deads

I agree. Until I blew my belly button out of my stomach I never used one at all.

Hate to sound like the little girl in here but I won't squat or dead without my wraps and belt anymore...

Have you had an injury to your back or abdomen? Are you an old fucker like marsell and I? Or are you a guy that wears construction gloves when you train? Lol

36 but I like to say its' the miles on the car not the age of it haha. Major chevron incision from a hepatic resection in 2013 - core is solid now but my form completely changes for the better with a belt on. Pain in my knees is completely alleviated with sleeves. I honestly have never tried wraps - bought a pair but unless I'm doing supra-maximal loads I can't justify that much time prepping kit.

Note to self: Try construction gloves tomorrow. This guy is good and onto something :giggle:

What we loggers called pulling your guts out. Litterally. Cum or bleed mother fucker lol
Yea as a teenager in Utah we built a barn from trees harvested in the mountains by putting a steel cable around them and using a dozer to drag them up the mountain, it was brutal I can’t imagine doing it on a fucking rock face, getting down must have been a nightmare

Yea as a teenager in Utah we built a barn from trees harvested in the mountains by putting a steel cable around them and using a dozer to drag them up the mountain, it was brutal I can’t imagine doing it on a fucking rock face, getting down must have been a nightmare
I’m a mountain goat. Run around on that all day bro. Getting down is the east part lol gravity does the work going downhill

I’m a mountain goat. Run around on that all day bro. Getting down is the east part lol gravity does the work going downhill
Yea I’m a Billy goat as long as the grade doesn’t require hands after that lije climbing shit I’m laughable. But gravity had to be a bitch with your bellybutton blown the fuck out. I imagine every breath and then your what 4-6 hours and on rough roads to medical?

Yea I’m a Billy goat as long as the grade doesn’t require hands after that lije climbing shit I’m laughable. But gravity had to be a bitch with your bellybutton blown the fuck out. I imagine every breath and then your what 4-6 hours and on rough roads to medical?
I didn’t get that fixed for 4 years. It didn’t really hurt it just looked gross. Just a herniated navel. I got it repaired and no longer have a belly button just a big zipper scar. Loggers don’t cry over spilled milk. Iv worked with much worse injuries. No logger wants to be the pussy that goes home early or ends up on state disability. The real 1%ers

I didn’t get that fixed for 4 years. It didn’t really hurt it just looked gross. Just a herniated navel. I got it repaired and no longer have a belly button just a big zipper scar. Loggers don’t cry over spilled milk. Iv worked with much worse injuries. No logger wants to be the pussy that goes home early or ends up on state disability. The real 1%ers
Bet that my dad logged in LA to get thru college he was the fucker that would climb trees and top em before the dropped em and even in his 50s he would use this 1970s Stihl bow bar to drop massive oaks for firewood by himself now he didn’t have shit on the dudes I ran cable for in Utah. I think the mortality rate among loggers is high as fuck. Like second to maybe sand hogs and crab fishermen. Where did you log at?

Bet that my dad logged in LA to get thru college he was the fucker that would climb trees and top em before the dropped em and even in his 50s he would use this 1970s Stihl bow bar to drop massive oaks for firewood by himself now he didn’t have shit on the dudes I ran cable for in Utah. I think the mortality rate among loggers is high as fuck. Like second to maybe sand hogs and crab fishermen. Where did you log at?
I logged in Washington,California, Oregon Alaska and British Columbia. I also worked on a crab boat in the Bering straight. Which aside from staying awake for several days at a time which was no problem for me was a much easier physical job than anything in the woods. I just never got over being sick as hell. And often did not make any money due to weather, not catching crab and the market price fluctuations. Seen a few guys die in the woods, had several buddies killed working for other outfits and saw several maimed and crippled and had my share of injuries and used alot more than 9 lives.

I only use sleeves now and for me it’s all about stabilization as I get older.

On the other hand if you’re using too small of sleeves or wraps to try and offset bad form then you are asking for trouble IMO.
Which sleeves do you like? I have bought many and they dont fit right.

Which sleeves do you like? I have bought many and they dont fit right.
I have tried a bunch for $50 to $200 and haven't found any that i can get decent steady support on my knee because i have to go up a size to get them over my calves.
I just got these from evolution and they fit great , just tight enough on the knee for a little support and warmth when loose but tighten down the straps and they feel great , like semi tight knee wraps.

Staff online

• K1
    Blue-Eyed Devil

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
whodis?
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws