over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Never drink a whey iso shake alone?

I proved this to myself by over consuming chicken and tuna, put on quite a bit of bodyfat doing that for a long period.

"Excess Protein Calories and Body Fat

Although protein offers a number of health benefits, more does not equal better. If you eat more calories than your body needs from protein sources, the excess is converted to fat, albeit in a roundabout way. Protein is first metabolized into amino acids and ammonia. The leftover carbon compound is converted into glucose, which your body uses for energy. If your cells have enough glucose, and there is no space left to store it as glycogen in your muscles or liver, the excess glucose is converted into fat and stored."

Thats what I was taught in my college sophomore physiology course.

Oddly enough, even when calories are similar, I am leaner, dryer, and fuller with higher carbs and lower amounts of protein vs the opposite. Everyone is different, though

Not according to Jose Antonio’s study
As @maldorf mentioned, it is fundamental nutrition/physiology that excess protein is stored as fat. Of the studies referenced, the randomized-controlled trial Bray, G. A., Smith, S. R., de Jonge, L., Xie, H., Rood, J., Martin, C. K., … Redman, L. M. (2012). Effect of Dietary Protein Content on Weight Gain, Energy Expenditure, and Body Composition During Overeating. JAMA, 307(1), 47. doi:10.1001/jama.2011.1918 used a proper intervention and methods: first used a weight-stabilizing diet for 13 to 25 days, followed by 3 groups with overfeeding (different protein quantities) in an inpatient unit to strictly control intake. They used DXA, which is accepted as a valid body composition method. And they found that
Results
Overeating produced significantly less weight gain in the low protein diet group (3.16 kg; 95% CI, 1.88-4.44 kg) compared with the normal protein diet group (6.05 kg; 95% CI, 4.84-7.26 kg) or the high protein diet group (6.51 kg; 95% CI, 5.23-7.79 kg) (P=.002).

Body fat increased similarly in all 3 protein diet groups and represented 50% to more than 90% of the excess stored calories...

From Antonio's study, and outlier in the literature:
This is the first interventional study to demonstrate that consuming a hypercaloric high protein diet does not result in an increase in body fat.
Antonio, J., Peacock, C. A., Ellerbroek, A., Fromhoff, B., & Silver, T. (2014). The effects of consuming a high protein diet (4.4 g/kg/d) on body composition in resistance-trained individuals. Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition, 11(1), 19. doi:10.1186/1550-2783-11-19

This outlier (this warrants skepticism) study did not strictly control intake, rather, it encouraged/instructed resistance trained subjects to "maintain the same training and dietary habits" while the high-protein group consumed 4.4 g/kg/d protein versus 1.8 g/kg/d in the control group. It also used an unusual method for measurement of body composition called Bod Pod (densitometry using air displacement).

Oddly enough, even when calories are similar, I am leaner, dryer, and fuller with higher carbs and lower amounts of protein vs the opposite. Everyone is different, though
I feel like at your caloric intake, the carbs may speed up your metabolism more and fill you out. I don't know if its still considered correct, but for a while the thought was when someone was doing extreme dieting for a while metabolism will slow, and then the only way to get it back is to have refeed with high carbs to bring leptin back to normal. Maybe for you your metabolism slowed and any additional carbs would have helped speed up fat loss and fill you out even if your calories were still low?

You do not need carbs to regain metabolism, any increase in calories and / or reduction of cardio will work.

Staff online

• K1
    Blue-Eyed Devil
  • MikeS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
calebjmb
NapsGear