over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Protein - Misconceptions

SHOTGUN

Registered
Can someone explain to me the difference in GOOD Whey, Milk or Casein protein and BAD? Please give examples etc.. There have been a lot of threads where people say they like Quality over quantity or such and such brand uses "BAD" protein.. I am curious of Manufacturer's names, tyoes of protein and even end brands.

Yes... This is a baited question, as I am trying to see if people truly know what they are talking about or just saying what they have read other people post.

I will do my best to try to explain my end of the industry better throughout the thread.

i PERSONALLY go by how i feel after i take it. There are certain protein powders ive taken that have DESTROYED my stomach. Massive bloat, gas, stomach pains... These usually come from the 'cheaper' proteins ive gotten.

Im by NO MEANS an expert, but speaking about iso's at least, i also look at how it mixes. Im pretty sure a high quality iso can mix up easily, like a quality creatine.

Personally i went trueprotein and never looked back. Ive never gotten a bloat and it doesnt fill me up after my workout so i can eat again about 45 later or so. Maybe its placebo, but i dont think so.

Just my 'joe schmoe' opinion...

You are asking a question that if i answered and named names I would get a boatload of enemies.

People are selling concentrates as Isolates.

People are cutting their protein powders with fructose and putting it in the ingredient profile but in very small type so consumers overlook it.

There is a supplement company on the East Coast that is selling Whey protein at an incredible price yet the truth of the matter is he advertises it with the protein percentage of cross flow isolate yet its a concentrate.

I cannot name names but its happening and its especially happening now in this recession. Its 3 times a week I happen across someone else who is cutting corners or scamming.

for me, miscibility as well as # of g of protein in a 30g scoop. If i'm getting 24-25g out of 30g, thats pretty good. if its 21 then i dont think so.

You are asking a question that if i answered and named names I would get a boatload of enemies.

People are selling concentrates as Isolates.

People are cutting their protein powders with fructose and putting it in the ingredient profile but in very small type so consumers overlook it.

There is a supplement company on the East Coast that is selling Whey protein at an incredible price yet the truth of the matter is he advertises it with the protein percentage of cross flow isolate yet its a concentrate.

I cannot name names but its happening and its especially happening now in this recession. Its 3 times a week I happen across someone else who is cutting corners or scamming.

Yep. The mentality these days is anything to make a quick buck. Any company can make a quick buck by cutting corners. But when everyone fiinds out about the shit they pull, the company goes down in flames as quick as they rose to prominence. In the long run, a company that conducts business ethically will the the company that lasts. How do I know this? I work as a manager at a restaurant. When we've tried to cut corners in the past, we lost customers. Now, we are all about the customer and their satisfaction and don't cut corners and we've had more customers then before.

Last edited:
I agree DoggCrapp but wasnt expecting you to be the one to respond.. You already get how it works....

Too many companies buy their products from "traders"... The reason a "Trader" has the product is that it is off spec for one reason or another.

As far as people using Concentrate and calling it Isolate I agree on that as well... I posted general ballpark prices of the basic proteins in another thread.. Do the math and you will see a good portion of products out there could not be sold at the price they are if they are what they say they are.

Mixability is NOT a sign of a good protein or creatine or any other product. To make a product mixable you must increase the particle size to give it the ability to break the surface tension of the water.. To do that you must add something like a Soy Lecithin (i.e. Protein or a liquid Maltodextrin i.e. Amino Acids) and run them through a agglomerator. This will inturn add fat (albeit small amount) to your product or add maltodextrin to your product.

Shotgun,

Interested in hearing you go into this a little more.

I usually let the AA profile be the guide. If I have two products next to each other I compare AA profiles. Higher numbers win.

Hahaahahahah

Can someone explain to me the difference in GOOD Whey, Milk or Casein protein and BAD? Please give examples etc.. There have been a lot of threads where people say they like Quality over quantity or such and such brand uses "BAD" protein.. I am curious of Manufacturer's names, tyoes of protein and even end brands.

Yes... This is a baited question, as I am trying to see if people truly know what they are talking about or just saying what they have read other people post.

I will do my best to try to explain my end of the industry better throughout the thread.

You are too smart to ask these questions......I knew you were testing these guys....you are the guy I would go to for these answers......

most of the protein being sold for dirt cheap is either
1. sawdust. Protein by weight anywhere from 50-74%. I believe ON gold standard is about 77%, which is still pretty shabby considering TPs WC is about 84%.
2. way off as far as appropriate PH.
3. Not what it's advertised to be.

This thread is one of the reasons I purchase my proteins and LBA's from board sponsors. Could they pull the same tricks? Sure, but I feel they are knowledgeable enough to not make a careless mistake in their sourcing or production, and caring not to do it.

I am lucky to have others invest and do this research for me. I don't like having to be constantly concerned about what I put in my body supplement wise, and on many products, the lowest price actually scares me away. Basically, I just try to pick good companies and rely on them to supply me with quality products. I have other things to be concerned about and I will let their experts do this piece of work for me.

For those who may criticize "Blindly following X", I admit that while I don't blindly follow anyones product advice, I do follow them without using a microscope. Its hard enough for me to be an "expert" at the things I am an "expert" at that return me a higher value. I will take advantage of experts in other fields whenever I can. It simply is not the "highest and best" use of my time to question everything. I need to rely on companies and individuals I trust. Board sponsors are a good place to start.

I agree DoggCrapp but wasnt expecting you to be the one to respond.. You already get how it works....

Too many companies buy their products from "traders"... The reason a "Trader" has the product is that it is off spec for one reason or another.

As far as people using Concentrate and calling it Isolate I agree on that as well... I posted general ballpark prices of the basic proteins in another thread.. Do the math and you will see a good portion of products out there could not be sold at the price they are if they are what they say they are.

Mixability is NOT a sign of a good protein or creatine or any other product. To make a product mixable you must increase the particle size to give it the ability to break the surface tension of the water.. To do that you must add something like a Soy Lecithin (i.e. Protein or a liquid Maltodextrin i.e. Amino Acids) and run them through a agglomerator. This will inturn add fat (albeit small amount) to your product or add maltodextrin to your product.

wow, thats good info. i was always under the assumption that if you have 2 'isolates', and one mixes better, it means LESS filler. What you said is the only thing that makes sense though. Thanks for the clarification.

I thought this was good info on this topic..

There is more to whey protein powder than nutritional-benefit appeal. Increasingly, food formulators are taking advantage of whey protein powder ingredients most functional properties, such as whipping/foaming, emulsification, gelation and high water binding capabilities, to improve the taste and mouth-feel of their new product formulations or to replace fat.

It is important to note that there are significant price and nutritional value differences between the various whey protein powder supplements on the market. One containing 34% protein may cost up to 80% less than better quality whey protein powders with protein contents of 77% or higher. Most whey protein powders use a blend of different whey protein concentrates, isolates and hydrolysates, making it possible to hide inferior/cheaper proteins in a product. But there's an easy way to find out. To determine the overall protein percentage of your supplement, whey or otherwise, simply divide the protein found in each serving by the serving size and multiply by 100.

I did three calculations based off this information..
100% Whey Gold Standard: Optimum Nutrition:
serving size: 29.4g
protein: 24g
81.6%

SynthePURE™ - Pure Whey Protein Isolate
serving size: 100g
protein: 96g
96%

Trueprotein: **SPECIAL** 25LB. Recession WPC/WPI Blend
serving size: 30g
80%

Here is an example to help you figure out how much of your current whey protein powder actually protein is whey protein: 22g of protein per serving — 28.4g serving size x 100 = 77.5% protein. Keep in mind that it is impossible to end up with 100% whey protein. Flavors, colors, sweeteners, and micronutrients, that make these supplements nutritious and enjoyable to consume tend to displace some of the space that could be occupied by more whey protein. Nevertheless, it's important to account for these fillers, since grams of whey protein powder per bottle is what most consumers are really after.

Last edited:
Outside of Syntrax Nectar (only for the taste, and only lemonade + crystal sky) I don't think i'll ever buy anywhere else but true protein ever again. I really love the custom blending capability, particularly directly adding psyllium husk to the protein mix for a bit of extra fill factor and betaine for digestion.

I thought this was good info on this topic..

There is more to whey protein powder than nutritional-benefit appeal. Increasingly, food formulators are taking advantage of whey protein powder ingredients most functional properties, such as whipping/foaming, emulsification, gelation and high water binding capabilities, to improve the taste and mouth-feel of their new product formulations or to replace fat.

It is important to note that there are significant price and nutritional value differences between the various whey protein powder supplements on the market. One containing 34% protein may cost up to 80% less than better quality whey protein powders with protein contents of 77% or higher. Most whey protein powders use a blend of different whey protein concentrates, isolates and hydrolysates, making it possible to hide inferior/cheaper proteins in a product. But there's an easy way to find out. To determine the overall protein percentage of your supplement, whey or otherwise, simply divide the protein found in each serving by the serving size and multiply by 100.

I did three calculations based off this information..
100% Whey Gold Standard: Optimum Nutrition:
serving size: 29.4g
81.6%

SynthePURE™ - Pure Whey Protein Isolate
serving size: 100g
protein: 96g
96%

Trueprotein: **SPECIAL** 25LB. Recession WPC/WPI Blend
serving size: 30g
80%

Here is an example to help you figure out how much of your current whey protein powder actually protein is whey protein: 22g of protein per serving — 28.4g serving size x 100 = 77.5% protein. Keep in mind that it is impossible to end up with 100% whey protein. Flavors, colors, sweeteners, and micronutrients, that make these supplements nutritious and enjoyable to consume tend to displace some of the space that could be occupied by more whey protein. Nevertheless, it's important to account for these fillers, since grams of whey protein powder per bottle is what most consumers are really after.

One of the proteins tested in Australia was ON 100% Whey Gold, the result 76.1%

Good topic and refreshing to read about this instead of the lastest BD or IP product. :rolleyes:

Shotgun...shoot us some info bro.

As far as brands are concerned good vs. bad.

Off the shelf favorite "good" brand is-
1. Isopure

Real Question here. How much of an effect does all this have on the averge guy who works out. Talking about Joe Gym Guy, 200lbs,10-12%bf, eats ok. does cardio once in a while, has taken 500mgs of test, etc. How much of an impact would TP's best brand have on him as opposed to something from Walmart, aside from some gas. What are the benefits for the average guy to consume a good protein powder as opposed to an average product?

Agreed. I would love to see more threads about things like this from people REALLY in the know...

Good topic and refreshing to read about this instead of the lastest BD or IP product. :rolleyes:

Shotgun...shoot us some info bro.

As far as brands are concerned good vs. bad.

Off the shelf favorite "good" brand is-
1. Isopure

Real Question here. How much of an effect does all this have on the averge guy who works out. Talking about Joe Gym Guy, 200lbs,10-12%bf, eats ok. does cardio once in a while, has taken 500mgs of test, etc. How much of an impact would TP's best brand have on him as opposed to something from Walmart, aside from some gas. What are the benefits for the average guy to consume a good protein powder as opposed to an average product?

Thats exactly the q I was about to ask. How would this affect a normal gymrat? From a percentage standpoint all things remaining equal, diet in check, would the marginal 5% difference or 10% difference really change things THAT much?

highly denatured, acidic, "ashy" protein will CERTAINLY make a differance, especially when considering flatulance. lol.

Not only that, but some people HAVE to have isolate, e.g. people with lactose intolerance.

maybe this will be useful for someone, i found it an interesting read

Cut and pasted from another forum...

A Review of Issues of Dietary Protein Intake in Humans

Considerable debate has taken place over the safety and validity of increased protein intakes for both weight control and muscle synthesis. The advice to consume diets high in protein by some health professionals, media and popular diet books is given despite a lack of scientific data on the safety of increasing protein consumption. The key issues are the rate at which the gastrointestinal tract can absorb amino acids from dietary proteins (1.3 to 10 g/h) and the liver's capacity to deaminate proteins and produce urea for excretion of excess nitrogen. The accepted level of protein requirement of 0.8g ∙ kg-1 ∙ d-1 is based on structural requirements and ignores the use of protein for energy metabolism. High protein diets on the other hand advocate excessive levels of protein intake on the order of 200 to 400 g/d, which can equate to levels of approximately 5 g ∙ kg-1 ∙ d-1, which may exceed the liver?s capacity to convert excess nitrogen to urea. Dangers of excessive protein, defined as when protein constitutes > 35% of total energy intake, include hyperaminoacidemia, hyperammonemia, hyperinsulinemia nausea, diarrhea, and even death (the ?rabbit starvation syndrome?). The three different measures of defining protein intake, which should be viewed together are: absolute intake (g/d), intake related to body weight (g ∙ kg-1 ∙ d-1) and intake as a fraction of total energy (percent energy). A suggested maximum protein intake based on bodily needs, weight control evidence, and avoiding protein toxicity would be approximately of 25% of energy requirements at approximately 2 to 2.5 g ∙ kg-1 ∙ d-1, corresponding to 176 g protein per day for an 80 kg individual on a 12,000kJ/d diet. This is well below the theoretical maximum safe intake range for an 80 kg person (285 to 365 g/d).

Amino acid catabolism must occur in a way that does not elevate blood ammonia (26). Catabolism of amino acids occurs in the liver, which contains the urea cycle (26), however the rate of conversion of amino acid derived ammonia to urea is limited. Rudman et al. (27)

Early findings suggest that rapidly absorbed proteins such as free amino acids and WP, transiently and moderately inhibit protein breakdown (39, 53), yet stimulate protein synthesis by 68% [using nonoxidative leucine disposal (NOLD) as an index of protein synthesis] (54). Casein protein has been shown to inhibit protein breakdown by 30% for a 7-h postprandial period, and only slightly increase protein synthesis (38, 54). Rapidly absorbed amino acids despite stimulating greater protein synthesis, also stimulate greater amino acid oxidation, and hence results in a lower net protein gain, than slowly absorbed protein (54). Leucine balance, a measurable endpoint for protein balance, is indicated in Figure 1, which shows slowly absorbed amino acids (~ 6 to 7 g/h), such as CAS and 2.3 g of WP repeatedly taken orally every 20 min (RPT-WP), provide significantly better protein balance than rapidly absorbed amino acids (39, 54).

The misconception in the fitness and sports industries is that rapidly absorbed protein, such as WP and AA promote better protein anabolism. As the graph shows, slowly absorbed protein such as CAS and small amounts of WP (RPT-WP) provide four and nine times more protein synthesis than WP.

This ?slow? and ?fast? protein concept provides some clearer evidence that although human physiology may allow for rapid and increased absorption rate of amino acids, as in the case of WP (8 to 10 g/h), this fast absorption is not strongly correlated with a ?maximal protein balance,? as incorrectly interpreted by fitness enthusiasts, athletes, and bodybuilders.

Using the findings of amino acid absorption rates shown in Table 2 (using leucine balance as a measurable endpoint for protein balance), a maximal amino acid intake measured by the inhibition of proteolysis and increase in postprandial protein gain, may only be ~ 6 to 7 g/h (as described by RPT-WP, and casein) (38), which corresponds to a maximal protein intake of 144 to 168 g/d.

The rate of amino acid absorption from protein is quite slow (~ 5 to 8 g/h, from Table 2) when compared to that of other macronutrients, with fatty acids at ~ 0.175 g ? kg-1 ? h-1 (~ 14 g/h) (55) and glucose 60 to 100 g/h (0.8 to 1.2 g carbohydrate ? kg-1 ? h-1) for an 80 kg individual (56). From our earlier calculations elucidating the maximal amounts of protein intake from MRUS, an 80 kg subject could theoretically tolerate up to 301 to 365 g of protein per day, but this would require an absorption rate of 12.5 to 15 g/h, an unlikely level given the results of the studies reported above.

The consumption of large amounts of protein by athletes and bodybuilders is not a new practice (13). Recent evidence suggests that increased protein intakes for endurance and strength-trained athletes can increase strength and recovery from exercise (14, 80, 81). In healthy adult men consuming small frequent meals providing protein at 2.5 g ? kg-1 ? d-1, there was a decreased protein breakdown, and increased protein synthesis of up to 63%, compared with intakes of 1g ? kg-1 ? d-1 (16). Subjects receiving 1g ? kg-1 ? d-1 underwent muscle protein breakdown with less evident changes in muscle protein synthesis. Some evidence suggests, however, that a high protein diet increases leucine oxidation (82, 83), while other data demonstrate that the slower digestion rate of protein (38, 54), and the timing of protein ingestion (with resistance training) (84) promote muscle protein synthesis.

Absorption rates of amino acids from the gut can vary from 1.4 g/h for raw egg white to 8 to 10 g/h for whey protein isolate. Slowly absorbed amino acids such as casein (~ 6 g/h) and repeated small doses of whey protein (2.9 g per 20 min, totaling ~ 7 g/h) promote leucine balance, a marker of protein balance, superior to that of a single dose of 30 g of whey protein or free amino acids which are both rapidly absorbed (8 to 10 g/h), and enhance amino acid oxidation. This gives us an initial understanding that although higher protein intakes are physiologically possible, and tolerable by the human body, they may not be functionally optimal in terms of building and preserving body protein. The general, although incorrect consensus among athletes and bodybuilders, is that rapid protein absorption corresponds to greater muscle building.

From the limited data available on amino acid absorption rates, and the physiological parameters of urea synthesis, the maximal safe protein intakes for humans have been estimated at ~ 285 g/d for an 80 kg male. It is not the intention of this article, however, to promote the consumption of large amounts of protein, but rather to prompt an investigation into what are the parameters of human amino acid kinetics. In the face of the rising tide of obesity in the Western world where energy consumption overrides energy expenditure, a more prudent and practical approach, which may still provide favorable outcomes, is a 25% protein energy diet, which would provide 118 g protein on an 8000 kJ/d diet at 1.5 g ? kg-1 ? d-1 for an 80 kg individual (Table 2).

Little data exists on the comprehensive metabolic effects of large amounts of dietary protein in the order of 300 to 400 g/d. Intakes of this magnitude would result in some degree of prolonged hyperaminoacidemia, hyperammonemia, hyperinsulinemia, and hyperglucagonemia, and some conversion to fat, but the metabolic and physiological consequences of such states are currently unknown. The upper limit of protein intake is widely debated, with many experts advocating levels up to 2.0 g ? kg-1 ? d-1 being quite safe (102, 117, 118) and that renal considerations are not an issue at this level in individuals with normal renal function.

Staff online

• Bio
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Atomgear